Honored Contributor

Kim Kardashian: Psoriasis journey

I didn’t realize Kim’s psoriasis was as bad as it was. I knew she had it

on her legs...but apparently it’s now on her face & near her eyes.  

I believe she was just tested positive for psoriatic arthritis.

Some of the pictures in the People & Poosh article are really gnarly.

https://people.com/style/kim-kardashian-shares-selfie-with-psoriasis-on-face/

62916AC0-BD02-4C5B-9F2D-A53A88B8691A.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Kim Kardashian: Psoriasis journey

Glad she doesn't have Lupus. Didn't realize Psoriasis could lead to other health problems.

Esteemed Contributor

i was diagnosed with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis in 2002......i deal with chronic pain on a daily basis....have never gotten relief with any drug i've tried....just started medical marijuana....hoping for some pain relief.....it's not fun being in constant pain.....it's not even 7:00pm and i'm off to bed......

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Who honestly cares about kk 's psoriasis?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not been a fan of hers or her family's TV series, however  am  empathetic to her  condition. Maybe she can use some  of her fame & money in  motivating  reserach for a cure or in developing additional meds  for treatment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LyndaGee wrote:

Glad she doesn't have Lupus. Didn't realize Psoriasis could lead to other health problems.

Psoriasis can lead to cardiovascular problems, with increased risk for cancer, heart attack and stroke,(One study found that those with psoriasis are 54% more likely to have a stroke).  Having severe psoriasis doubles the risk of an early death. It is linked to a host of health problems. It is also common to see psoriasis in persons with additional autoimmune disorders such as Crohn's. Some genes for both Crohns and psoriasis are the same. There are types of psoriasis, and within types there are subtypes. Persons can have more than one type of psoriasis. There is a type, erythrodermic psoriasis, can kill you.  Additionally, psoriatic arthritis, a disorder of the joints similar to rheumatoid arthritis is found in a percentage of persons with psoriasis.

I’ve had psoriasis since I was eleven and I have more than one type. Mine is severe.

The thing about Kim is that her psoriasis, plaque psoriasis, formerly would have been rated as mild psoriasis. This would prevent her from being eligible for the use of biological medications. For Kim, where beauty is literally her way of generating income, this was troubling. Initially, she had a small lesion in her ankle, but lately she has shown us lesions on her face. Not good for someone that makes millions for being beautiful. She didn’t have a case bad enough to take the meds to get rid of it. When she had a small flare on her face, plus, if she had enough plaques over a larger percentage of her body, she could move from mild psoriasis into, moderate psoriasis; making her eligible for treatment with biologicals.

She didn’t really have enough lesions to move to moderate, but she has had ,at least according to her statements, psoriatic psoriasis, making her eligible for the biological medications which will help with the arthritis (if she really has it...there’s no test and NO MARKER that proves ,or disproves, a person has for psoriatic psoriasis. It is up to the doctor’s assessment. I’m a bit dubious about her having PA. One thing that is a telltale sign of psoriatic arthritis is nail pitting. I’m going to take a look at any photos to see if this is present. These same medications, given for PA, will CONVENIENTLY help clear her skin. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If Kim wants to get rid of her psoriasis she needs to treat it aggressively and use biologoic drugs such as Humaira and others.  I use Enbrel which I inject weekly for RA and it has helped tremendously.  Once in a while I experience pain but only in my smaller joints like hands and feet.  Enbrel has been a life saver for me.  Once you develop an auto immune disease you are open to others and I thank God I have not encountered any more than my RA.  However, the hardest part about having auto immune diseases are the medications you take because they suppress your immune system and you are subject to catching infections, etc. more easily.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Who honestly cares about kk 's psoriasis?

I do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

If Kim wants to get rid of her psoriasis she needs to treat it aggressively and use biologoic drugs such as Humaira and others.  I use Enbrel which I inject weekly for RA and it has helped tremendously.  Once in a while I experience pain but only in my smaller joints like hands and feet.  Enbrel has been a life saver for me.

She wouldn’t have been eligible for use of Enbrel or Humira until she got psoriatic arthritis because she had MILD psoriasis. She needed to get to Moderate or Severe psoriasis to use a biological. Now she can be treated with one. There’s some new ones, such as Ilumya, out now. 

Trusted Contributor

I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I have times when it's worst than others. I found which salve works for me. Wen tea tree oil in my hair keep it under control. I just keep telling myself that at least it's not life threatening.  I went down that road 19 years ago and this is a piece of cake.