Honored Contributor

Does anyone know if there is an age limit on donating a kidney?

I am 67....a friend at our church is in need of a kidney.....

Tomorrow I am going to call my doctor to see if there is an age limit, but was curious if anyone on the board knows the answer.

I am very healthy, no medical issues and take no meds.

Esteemed Contributor

A live donor has to be a least 18, no age limit.  Both recepient and donor have to go through a battery of tests and labs.  The final decision is made by the transplant center.

Check out wwwdotkidneydotorg for more information.

@Mom2Dogs 

Valued Contributor

According to WebMD, donors over age 60 are considered on a case by case basis.  

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs so incredibly nice and generous of you Heart

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@Mom2Dogs so incredibly nice and generous of you Heart

Thank you..since the minute I read the request, it has laid heavy on my heart... Not sure my husband is on board.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is an age limit but you would have to be in perfect health with excellent renal function .  But there's more to donating than a desire, you would have be a match for the person.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree Yes, there are a battery of tests and possibly a mental health examination.  

We also have different blood types (his type was in the text of his flyer), I read that blood type is not a huge deal....but I figure it will not hurt to at least investigate the possibility.

Respected Contributor

Very kind of you.

Even if you're not a match for your friend, there might be the possibility of the 3-way scenario. Not sure what it's called (3-way exchange?) but I've heard of it - you donate to someone and someone else donates to your friend. Maybe this might be an option.

Valued Contributor

My cousin, who is in her 20's, donated a kidney but not to a specific person.  Her recovery was speedy and I think that if she eventually needs a kidney, she is at the top of the list. That doesn't help answer your question but I am in awe of her and think you are wonderful to consider doing this.

Regular Contributor

I donated a kidney when I was 55. I am now 70 and have perfect kidney function. The process is as described by other posters with many tests and I believe each health system has their own specific policies. As far as blood type is concerned the recipient of my kidney and I were not related and we also did not have the same blood type but according to the testing I was one of the closest matches they had ever seen. God bless you on your journey.