Honored Contributor

UPDATE:
Sounds like Kevin is on the right path.
Found it interesting his daughter is Vegan.
A good support system within the familial unit is 1/2 the battle,
but at the end of the day, it will be his choice.
Andrew Taylor aka “SpudFit” would be proud!

BCD5D28B-3B27-4079-9BCC-0E7801B70D7B.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

I still don't get how anyone can eat a lot of potatoes. When I eat a potato it's game over for the rest of the day. It's one of the few veggies I like and I can't eat it because I feel like garbage after .Even if it's just a small one. Two weeks of potatoes and I'd be in a coma.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmomwrote:

I still don't get how anyone can eat a lot of potatoes. When I eat a potato it's game over for the rest of the day. It's one of the few veggies I like and I can't eat it because I feel like garbage after .Even if it's just a small one. Two weeks of potatoes and I'd be in a coma.

“Potatoes are saving lives!”

Sounds funny, but it’s true.  I see it over & over & over again.

Potatoes are a clean source of fuel for the body.

A healthy body craves clean starches after a while of adjusting

the gut biome.

Sounds like he will be adding non-starchy veg...

again, a clean source of fuel for the body...and a healthy source 

of fuel is not met w/ oils or animal products.   I hope this works for him.

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

@pigletsmomwrote:

“Potatoes are saving lives!”

Sounds funny, but it’s true.  I see it over & over & over again.

Potatoes are a clean source of fuel for the body.

A healthy body craves clean starches after a while of adjusting

the gut biome.

Sounds like he will be adding non-starchy veg...

again, a clean source of fuel for the body...and a healthy source 

of fuel is not met w/ oils or animal products.   I hope this works for him.

I'm jealous of people that can do this. I have one occasionally because I like them but I just expect to feel awful after. Even just a small baked one does me in and that's with nothing on it.

Super Contributor

Re: Kevin Smith: Actor & ‘Widow Maker’ Survivor

hckynut - My cousin's husband was a health nut.  He was physically fit, not an ounce of fat, non-smoker, rode bicycle marathons in many countries. He had a heart attack at 60.  His brain was without oxygen for a while and he had a long recovery time from the stroke that followed.  As soon as he was able to ride his bike again he was hit by a car and killed.  As for a vegan diet preventing a heart attack, I seriously doubt that.  Considering the toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis, expecially our polluted air and water, we are fighting a losing battle.  It's proven that air quality has a big impact on heart health.  So how do you escape from pollution escpecially now that all the environmental laws are under attack?

Honored Contributor

Re: Kevin Smith: Actor & ‘Widow Maker’ Survivor

Another Update:

Talks about losing with Potato Only...now plant based...

and being an ambassador to Weight Watchers.  

Sounds like he has a good mind set, lots of support, 

appreciating life & most important, finding his ‘why’

to keep going on.  Good interview.

https://youtu.be/wPBOYnjoaGM

096D2B86-6D7B-43F6-8BCA-76511308D31B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

6 months: 51 lbs!

9DF7DE6F-D6FE-4A3C-ABF8-716E11B9F211.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Kevin Smith: Actor & ‘Widow Maker’ Survivor/Update

A friend (and I almost put that in quotes) who is always telling me what I should be eating (this weekend it was pork chops and baked potatoes with butter and sour cream) had to have a heart cath yesterday where a partial blockage was found.  He was told he needed to make some lifestyle changes.

Maybe he and his wife will leave me alone now and stop telling me what foods are good for me.

Honored Contributor

I hate that term "widow maker". People survive heart attacks much more now a days. Sometimes people have an occluded RCA - the "widowmaker" artery and breeze through their bypass surgery while someone else may have a much smaller artery occluded and they are much more unstable & critical. There are many factors affecting a post heart attack person's prognosis.

Honored Contributor