Honored Contributor

Kevin Smith: Actor & ‘Widow Maker’ Survivor/Update

[ Edited ]

Another celebrity having a massive Heart Attack...and survived.

Kevin Smith is an actor, writer, producer for many of my favorite 

comedies. ‘Jay & Silent Bob’, ‘Clerks’, ‘Dogma’. Very talented

and very well-respected in the industry.

Luckily he came out the other side to tell the tale.  

Only 47 yrs old.

”...facing some lifestyle changes...”.

”...maybe it’s time to go Vegan...”.  

Definitely!

Lots of support in my Plant-Based forums about his new intentions.  Hopefully he will do this the right way to save his life! 

First Bob Harper...now Kevin Smith.  

When will people begin to understand Food & Lifestyle kill you.  

Luckily, the answer for optimum health is so very simple.  

Vegan? Yes, Kevin...yes. 

38F54B3C-0FE5-458B-88AF-DAA3FE26DB6A.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kevin Smith: Actor & ‘Widow Maker’ Survivor

BIg fan of his for years. I hope he will be healthy and well for the future.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

He lost a lot of weight a few years back too! I wonder if he had any cardiology issues back then.

Honored Contributor

He is far too young to have to look back and say, "I had a good run".

I wish him health and many more years with his wife and daughter.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea who this man might be, much less anything about his lifestyle choices. That said, I will move on to things I do know.

Regardless of what anyone on this forum says this is, thee cause, of heart disease, I will say the same thing I was saying decades before my 1st heart attack.

There is no 1 thing that is going to eliminate heart disease any more than there is any 1 thing that is going to eliminate cancer. I agree that what one eats and drinks is a part of the reason some have heart attacks. So is their lifestyle concerning smoking/liquor/work environment/ exercise, and other things that usually can be controlled.

Too many seem to, for whatever reason, want to say little about a person's Genetics. I really do not care who here might disagree with my assessment of why I may have had 2 heart attacks. For me it had a whole lot more to do with my maternal Genetics, than my choices of lifestyle, and how I chose to fuel by body(eat)! 

Going back to the 1970's when I first found out about Nathan Pritican, and his proven ways to reverse heart disease, in some, not all, with heart disease. His 10% total fat intake per day(long before Dean Ornish claimed it was his discovery), along with changing to a more active lifestyle, and eliminating or decreasing as many Major Heart Disease Risk Factors as possible, and also for releasing stress via Meditation, or some other similar form of Relaxation Response.

I don't care to debate the merits of a completely plant based food program. If it were my belief that it would eliminate all Heart Disease for everyone? But it does not and and never will be what removes Heart Disease from human lives.

I wish this man well, but I know all too well from being around over a hundred plus heart patients, their memory of being close to death, diminishes over time. Mine did not, but I still had a 2nd heart attack. Why?  For me it was, and it still is, something over which I have no control. And as I have said on this, and other forums, many times! "I do not concern myself with anything over which I have no control.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You know what? People have & survive heart attacks  and go on to live perfectly normal lives every day. People have massive open heart surgeries and also go on to have perfectly normal lives. Medical science has made massive strides in this area.

As well, sometimes people have a little tiny heart attack but die anyway, while the guy in the next room who had a massive one does fine.

I believe with all my heart, after 42 years as a critical care nurse, when it's your day to die  there is nothing going to prevent it, no matter how much the doctors and nurses do. My Mom always said that when we are born the day we will die is written on God's heart, and nothing can change that.When my brother died in Viet Nam she believed if he was here at home something else would have taken him.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut John, so much more than anything else - the biggest factor in heart disease is genetic. There is absolutely nothing you can do about what genes you were given. Approx 15% of the cholesterol we have in our body is from what we eat. Heck - look at a cow - they eat nothing but grain and grass and their bodies are filled with fat. There is not a lot of emphasis put out there on genetics and heart disease because there is no money to be made from this. They can't sell you anything to change the genes you were given.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, your post above may be one of your very best ever ... and it wasn’t even particularly *wordy*!  👏👏👏

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@hckynut John, so much more than anything else - the biggest factor in heart disease is genetic. There is absolutely nothing you can do about what genes you were given. Approx 15% of the cholesterol we have in our body is from what we eat. Heck - look at a cow - they eat nothing but grain and grass and their bodies are filled with fat. There is not a lot of emphasis put out there on genetics and heart disease because there is no money to be made from this. They can't sell you anything to change the genes you were given.

@151949. Yes, yes, yes!!! There is no $$$ to be made from genetics. EXACTLY!!

Honored Contributor

Kevin Smith wasn't afraid because of the drugs they give you before an angioplasty. I felt the same way and had the same kind of heart attack. I was flying high during the entire procedure. 

I tried doing plant based dieting. My cholesterol went sky high and my triglycerides were ridiculously high. It is a myth it's a cure for all heart disease. I would probably be dead by now after 2 heart attacks if I had continued eating that way.