Respected Contributor

If anyone has a suggestion for how to thicken a pan sauce I’d love to hear it. I tried coconut flour and it didn’t do much. I used to use cornstarch back in the day but now it’s too many carbs. For some things like a stir fry or a sautéed chicken dish with a white wine sauce I really need some thickening.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

If anyone has a suggestion for how to thicken a pan sauce I’d love to hear it. I tried coconut flour and it didn’t do much. I used to use cornstarch back in the day but now it’s too many carbs. For some things like a stir fry or a sautéed chicken dish with a white wine sauce I really need some thickening.

@Grouchomarx  look up Xanthan Gum or Arrowroot Powder.  I haven't tried either yet, but bought a small package of xanthan gum from Amazon, to have on hand, for that purpose.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

Yea! I am Keto too! I wanted to start a thread last week but was afraid to get backlash. Been doing it since June 14th and am down 23 lbs. want to loss another 20. I use the carb manager app on my phone and iPad and count everything I put in my mouth.  I am 50 years old and a recent Breast cancer survivor. I take Tamoxifen and the cancer treatments put me into early menopause.

I am still losing weight on Keto diet and am over the moon happy! Feeling like myself again before the cancer and found my spark again. I try to do Whole Foods but drink bulletproof coffee about 4-5 times a week. I found a low carb whey protein from grass fed cows on amazon. It’s amazon brand and the chocolate is awesome! Vanilla is a little too sweet but I still drink it sometimes when I need to get my protein in. Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube has great videos and I get lots of books from the library. Reasearch is your best friend on this journey. Ketobars brand you can find their products on their own site and amazon. They are awesome!

Honored Contributor

Having trouble finding a decent salad dressing?  Do you like Spinach Artichoke Dip?

Costco sell a big tub of Le Terra Fina Spinach Artichoke Dip - Parmesan, in the refigerated section.  I like to take a little of that in a dish, add a little avocado oil and some water to thin it out and use that as a salad dressing.  

From the nutrition label.
Per 2 Tablespoons:
Fat - 4 grams
Protein - 3 grams
Carbs - 3 grams

Your fat grams will be a little higher, depending on how much avocado oil you add.

Honored Contributor

@Sunnycorle wrote:

Yea! I am Keto too! I wanted to start a thread last week but was afraid to get backlash. Been doing it since June 14th and am down 23 lbs. want to loss another 20. I use the carb manager app on my phone and iPad and count everything I put in my mouth.  I am 50 years old and a recent Breast cancer survivor. I take Tamoxifen and the cancer treatments put me into early menopause.

I am still losing weight on Keto diet and am over the moon happy! Feeling like myself again before the cancer and found my spark again. I try to do Whole Foods but drink bulletproof coffee about 4-5 times a week. I found a low carb whey protein from grass fed cows on amazon. It’s amazon brand and the chocolate is awesome! Vanilla is a little too sweet but I still drink it sometimes when I need to get my protein in. Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube has great videos and I get lots of books from the library. Reasearch is your best friend on this journey. Ketobars brand you can find their products on their own site and amazon. They are awesome!

Congratulations, @Sunnycorle , on being a BC Survivor and on your success so far.  I wish I wasn't so nervous about getting on a scale.  I know I'm losing because clothing is getting looser and my DH sees where it's happening.  Still, I have that mental block and fear of disappointment that the actual amount of pounds won't be as much as I'm hoping.

A friend of mine also recommended Dr. Berg.  I need to make it a point to get on youtube and watch him.  It seems I'm always reading, researching, etc.

Honored Contributor

Is anyone drinking/sipping bone broth?  Thoughts?  Brand recommendations?

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Is anyone drinking/sipping bone broth?  Thoughts?  Brand recommendations?

I've had both homemade and store bought.  The home made was very tasty and more economical than store bought, but I don't know if it's worth the time/trouble.  Takes up a lot of room in my fridge/freezer.

I've only tried the liquid store bought ones, but my favorites are Kettle & Fire and Bare Bones.  None of the ones I've tried have a strong flavor, so I always add Umami seasoning.  Kettle & Fire also makes some soups that contain bone broth that are pretty good.  You can find both these brands at most stores I think.  Seems to be more brands available every time I go to the supermarket.

Your salad dressing post made me think of some keto friendly dressings to recommend.  They are from Tessemae and are sugar free.  They have a ton of flavors.  My favorite is the Lemon Garlic and all of their flavors of ranch are good.  They are a little pricey but have really good ingredients, especially compared to most bottled dressings.

Super Contributor

Bone broth!  At first just the sound of it made me queasy, but lately I have been drinking it almost every day in soups I make.  

I bought several cartons of the beef and chicken bone broth from Trader Joe's and use it instead of water.  My DH said my latest beef and veg soup was the best I ever made.

Not specifically bone broth but keto soups---I ordered some from Kettle & Fire  (internet) but have not yet received.

Back to bone broth, I really feel good after eating it, like I just did something positive for my body.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

There is a useful article on WebMD about the "net carbs" term as created by manufacturers to entice people to buy their products. Although that article focuses mostly on weight loss, it does state that it started, in effect, as a marketing term.  Whether that makes a difference for anyone is up to them to decide.

If you have a copy of Keto Clarity, on page 68 is also a discussion about "net carbs" explaining that relying on net carbs just may not get someone to what their goals might be. It's not always weight loss, as I know you know.

If it works for you, no problem.  Not everyone may fare as well. Some are more carbohydrate sensitive than others.  It's about doing what works for an individual.

Keto Clarity:Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb,[PDF] Via Email

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Discaimer:  I am more LCHF than I am Keto.

I have been eating within a window since January.  I have lost weight very slowly but my aches and pains have lessened and I have more energy than I have in years.  It’s easy to adhere to so I don’t see myself “going off the wagon” so to speak.

I fast clean, meaning I only drink unflavored water — tap, sparkling and mineral — during the fasting hours.  If I were a coffee drinker, I would drink it black.  I don’t want to trigger an insulin release when my body tastes something sweet.