Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing: Suggestions for the best cookbook or other info

[ Edited ]

Tried Keto for few months and told only doing low carb. I have limited transportation and depend on shopping on line. I need a good reference source. Looked at many videos and other sources but getting confused and forgetful. Making a binder of information found here for a few recipes and various apps. Any information or suggestions appreciated. Southern Bee

Just placed order on Amazon for the MCT powder, and a used keto cookbook. Looking at two kindle books by Dr. Berg for body type and keto. Hope not making mistakes with the products purchased just trying to do something. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

This recipe looks tasty and easy to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFcgdC6sO7k

"Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp with Asparagus. "Keto Friendly" (As The Rooster Crows)

Honored Contributor

Watching Dr. Berg videos. Great info but really pushing his products. Took one quiz and determined that I am the Thyroid body type. I haven't taken my thyroid medicine on a regular basis but last blood work indicated thyroid levels good. Very confusing. Trying to take notes from various videos. Best suggestions and sources  needed on how to get started with healthy keto and IF. Thanks. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

Watching Dr. Berg videos. Great info but really pushing his products. Took one quiz and determined that I am the Thyroid body type. I haven't taken my thyroid medicine on a regular basis but last blood work indicated thyroid levels good. Very confusing. Trying to take notes from various videos. Best suggestions and sources  needed on how to get started with healthy keto and IF. Thanks. Southern Bee

Be careful with the online quizzes.  As for Dr. Berg's supplements, don't let your dislike for him promoting them steer you away from the scientific information he's sharing.  If there's something he recommends, that I think will benefit me, I will do my shopping and see where I can get it for the best price.  So far, I've been able to do that with only one exception.  I am taking his nutritional yeast because I haven't found another one that fits the bill, but I keep looking.

If I can be bold, @SouthernBee , the sooner you jump in and start, the sooner you'll see results.  You don't have to know everything right off the bat, we keep learning as we go.  Expect to make some mistakes at first.  Once you learn better, you'll do better.  And it's what you do everyday that moves you toward your goal.  Clear out your pantry and refrigerator of all processed prepackaged foods, wheat flour, sugars, chocolate chips, etc.  To get you started, I will say the following are the most important:

1.  Keep your macronutrient (macros) in the following percentages:  75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs

2.  Use a macro calculator to find out what yours need to be.  Track everything you eat so you stay within your macros.  Carb Manager is a really helpful app for this.  Be aware, though, that Carb Manager can only do so much.  It only calculates things, it does not evaluate a given food's impact on triggering insulin, so something could technically look OK on CM but really it's not a good choice because it can spike insulin.

3.  Keep your food intake simple - a modest amount of protein, a serving or two of approved veggies, and some healthy fat.

4.  To lose weight, you ALWAYS want to make sure your fat macros are at least 20

points lower than your fat macros

5.  Plan ahead on what you intend to eat ona given day and make sure everything fits your macros so no accidental going over your protein or carbs.  A lot of people do meal prep on the weekend and then they have things to choose from for the following week (boiled eggs, cut up cheese, cut up sausage, casseroles for dinner, grilled chicken breasts, etc.)

6.  Learn about good and bad ingredients, what you should be eating and what you definitely need to avoid..  Don't believe labels that say something is "keto" - that's a marketing gimmick and often a lie.  The  keto bread at Aldi and the Slim Fast keto items are far from keto.  Don't eat them!  Anything with any form or grain or sugar is a no-no.  However, there are many creative alternatives that are really good.  

As for Intermittent Fasting, the best, I believe, is the 16:8 schedule and set it so your fasting hours begin at like 7PM or 8PM so a chunk of your fasting is done while you are sleeping.  You won't eat (break your fast) until 16 hrs. after you stopped eating the night before.  Once you begin eating, you will do all your eating within an 8 hr. period.  As long as you are eating the right amount of fat, you won't get that starving feeling.  In the morning, while you are fasting, you can drink water and coffee is OK as long as you don't add any cream.  If you plan on using MCT oil, you can add that to your morning coffee as it does not cause an insulin spike due to the way it's processed in our bodies.  If you think a 16:8 schedule is too much for you do jump into at first, you can start smaller and work your way toward a longer fast.  I would like to get to an 18 hr. fast and 6 hr. eating window as there are more benefits to the body with the longer fast.  I just haven't gotten there yet on a regular basis.

You can do this.  You just have to decide to start.

Honored Contributor

I hit my 8 month ketoversary the other day.  I'm down 73 lbs. and feel better than I have in YEARS!  I am actually looking foward to seeing my NP this week and getting my bloodwork done.  

Trusted Contributor

I tried tried something new tonight and wondering if anyone else has tried.  I bought Kohlrabi Noodles at Stop and Shop and sauteed them up with olive oil, garlic and mushrooms and then added salt, pepper and Rao's Garlic Alfredo Sauce with a little fresh parm cheese.  It was so good and easy!  I've made this before with both zoodles and shirataki noodles but the kohlrabi noodles were my fave.  They are a little firmer and less waterery than zucchini noodles (I think I prefer zoodles the most with cold dishes).

This is the first time I've seen them at the grocery store but I think I will definltely buy again. I've never had kohlrabi, I guess it's a form of cabbage so had a very mild taste.  They weren't watery like zoodles can sometimes get and they held up well to the sauce.  

I'm always trying to incorporate veggies into my recipes and since I'm the only one in my family that eats this way, always looking for quick, easy meals.  Let me know if you tried them and how you like to eat them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

@lkat wrote:

I tried tried something new tonight and wondering if anyone else has tried.  I bought Kohlrabi Noodles at Stop and Shop and sauteed them up with olive oil, garlic and mushrooms and then added salt, pepper and Rao's Garlic Alfredo Sauce with a little fresh parm cheese.  It was so good and easy!  I've made this before with both zoodles and shirataki noodles but the kohlrabi noodles were my fave.  They are a little firmer and less waterery than zucchini noodles (I think I prefer zoodles the most with cold dishes).

This is the first time I've seen them at the grocery store but I think I will definltely buy again. I've never had kohlrabi, I guess it's a form of cabbage so had a very mild taste.  They weren't watery like zoodles can sometimes get and they held up well to the sauce.  

I'm always trying to incorporate veggies into my recipes and since I'm the only one in my family that eats this way, always looking for quick, easy meals.  Let me know if you tried them and how you like to eat them.

@lkat Sounds interesting, I’ll have to check them out, I want to try palmini noodles one of these days.  They’re made from hearts of palm and come in linguine style and small sheets for lasagna.  I’ve used Crepini Egg Thins in lasagna and was happy with the results.  They’re super thin so I doubled them.  It’s nice that we have options.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : Wow! Very excited for you and your success. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : Thank you for going to the trouble to post detailed information. Trying to decide how to start. Tried to clean out pantry but DH not happy. Trying to find quick and simple meals for me. I am very addicted to food and especially sugar. Purchased keto cookbook mentioned here but it has so many ingredients that I have never heard of or tried. DH wants his main meal at 11:00am and then around 6 pm he talks food and eats multiple snacks until bedtime. Very difficult to ignor. Saturday was commercial for donuts- he went out and purchased donuts plus bags of candy and cookies. Bad habits difficult to break. Southern Bee

Regular Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

@SouthernBee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch : Thank you for going to the trouble to post detailed information. Trying to decide how to start. Tried to clean out pantry but DH not happy. Trying to find quick and simple meals for me. I am very addicted to food and especially sugar. Purchased keto cookbook mentioned here but it has so many ingredients that I have never heard of or tried. DH wants his main meal at 11:00am and then around 6 pm he talks food and eats multiple snacks until bedtime. Very difficult to ignor. Saturday was commercial for donuts- he went out and purchased donuts plus bags of candy and cookies. Bad habits difficult to break. Southern Bee

I started low carb back in January. It is definately hard the first few days cutting out the carbs. I was so addicted. Since then my weight went from 210 to 187 (most recent weigh in). Here are my tips so far:

1. After my dinner at 6 in the evening I don't eat any more for the night. (Except a square of Andrew Lessman's choconuvo).

2. On the weekend I make my own salad dressing and cut up the veggies for the week. Store the veggies in a green box.

3. Cut back on the triggers that may spike my blood sugar. Artificial sweetners, caffeine, etc.

4. Increase exercise. Each week is a "focus" week. This week it is core!

5. Don't buy carbs/bad stuff. I feel so liberated now in my grocery shopping, and now even just have a standard list. 

6. Seriously cut back on eating out. When I do eat out I research first on low-carb options.

I don't count carbs, but as I get closer to my goal weight I know I will need to do so.

It definately helps that my husband and I are on the same page.  But the rare time that he gets something high carb/high sugar I just won't eat it. I don't have the cravings anymore.