Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch : Thank you for going to the trouble to post detailed information. Trying to decide how to start. Tried to clean out pantry but DH not happy. Trying to find quick and simple meals for me. I am very addicted to food and especially sugar. Purchased keto cookbook mentioned here but it has so many ingredients that I have never heard of or tried. DH wants his main meal at 11:00am and then around 6 pm he talks food and eats multiple snacks until bedtime. Very difficult to ignor. Saturday was commercial for donuts- he went out and purchased donuts plus bags of candy and cookies. Bad habits difficult to break. Southern Bee

@SouthernBee I highly recommend that you watch The Magic Pill documentary.  It’s on Netflix and YouTube. Ask your husband to watch it with you.  Maybe it will get him to rethink a few things. 

Honored Contributor

I had my check up yesterday.  My nurse practitioner was both impressed and thrilled with my 73 lb. weight loss, and all the health improvements that have been a result of me eating keto.  On my own, I stopped taking my blood pressure medication (lasix) a couple of months ago.  My BP yesterday was 128/80!!  I can't wait to get my bloodwork results back and see how much my A1C has gone down and find out what my new cholesterol numbers are.  

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  Congratulations!  It's amazing how well you've done.  Thank you for starting this conversation too.  Nice to be able to share info without the naysayers constantly weighing in.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks @lkat  That did happen and I had to ****** it in the bud.  I ended up getting bashed a bit, but so what. Smiley Wink

Thanks for your kind words.  Aside from the weight loss, I can't tell you how good I feel.  This has been the easiest way of eating to follow but I'm sure it's easier for me since DH is doing it with me. He's in maintenance.  We are loving the food - the ease of preparing delicous meals, all the varieties, and knowing how to make adjustments for eating out.  This is going to be permanent for us.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I am having a hard time with this low carb/keto diet plan.  My plan tries to say under 25-30 carbs a day and eating 1,250 calories a day.  It just doesn't seem like I am eating enough to stay satisfied between meals.  What suggestions do you have for me?  I know your success has been phenomeonal.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I am having a hard time with this low carb/keto diet plan.  My plan tries to say under 25-30 carbs a day and eating 1,250 calories a day.  It just doesn't seem like I am eating enough to stay satisfied between meals.  What suggestions do you have for me?  I know your success has been phenomeonal.  Thanks.

@Hoovermom  Where did you get your calorie recommendation from?  I’d recommend that you use the calculator within the Carb Manager app.  Then use it daily to track your macros.  Plan your foods in advance so you can tweak everything to fit.  Keto and low carb are not the same thing.  Keto will always be low carb, but low carb alone isn’t keto. Your body’s fuel source is either going to be sugar/carbs or fat/ketones.  It has to be one rep the other, it can’t do both at the same time. If you eating are low carb and low fat in your eating, your body is going to grab what it can and hold onto it.  It sounds to me like you need more fat.  The right amount of healthy fat consumption is key in the success of the keto lifestyle even though it seems counterintuitive to everything we’ve been brainwashed to believe. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Hoovermom  Where did you get your calorie recommendation from?  I’d recommend that you use the calculator within the Carb Manager app.  Then use it daily to track your macros.  Plan your foods in advance so you can tweak everything to fit.  Keto and low carb are not the same thing.  Keto will always be low carb, but low carb alone isn’t keto. Your body’s fuel source is either going to be sugar/carbs or fat/ketones.  It has to be one rep the other, it can’t do both at the same time. If you eating are low carb and low fat in your eating, your body is going to grab what it can and hold onto it.  It sounds to me like you need more fat.  The right amount of healthy fat consumption is key in the success of the keto lifestyle even though it seems counterintuitive to everything we’ve been brainwashed to believe. 

Q

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I will look at that app.  Thank you so much.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I did look up that carb manager app, put in my information and the suggested 18 carbs a day.  It was surprising to me that it said I would lose 4.8 lbs. in a month ???????  then I had to adjust the weight loss wanted, and it suggested @1200 calories.  One thing I noticed was it was referring to net carbs which I had ignored.  I was doing total carbs.  Thanks for your help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch :  I did look up that carb manager app, put in my information and the suggested 18 carbs a day.  It was surprising to me that it said I would lose 4.8 lbs. in a month ???????  then I had to adjust the weight loss wanted, and it suggested @1200 calories.  One thing I noticed was it was referring to net carbs which I had ignored.  I was doing total carbs.  Thanks for your help.

@Hoovermom  Keep in mind, the loss is as long as you’re meeting your set macros and not veering from the plan. Get your carbs from approved veggies.  

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom   How is the Carb Manager working for you?  I rely on it and faithfully plan and track my food daily.  Without it, it would be all guesswork. This morning, I’m down 80.6 lbs.  Keto works!