Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 wrote:

Am new to the KETO thing...is there such a thing as a Keto bread or crackers? Would like a slice of bread sometimes, or crackers with dip or cheese. If yes, are these at regular grocery stores or specialty stores? I confess, I have not checked. 

@nanny24  You really have to be a diligent label reader on store bought items. Even things labeled low carb may not be keto friendly.  Very good bread replacements are all made at home - chaffles, fathead bagels or buns, 90 second bread, even an almond bread made in a loaf.  There are cracker and tortilla recipes that use either almond or coconut flour.  Lots of recipes for all of these on the Internet and Pinterest.  

Super Contributor
@nanny24 for a savory bread option, I like the Outer Aisle brand sandwich thins. You have to toast them. I also like their pizza crusts. I ordered mine from amazon. They came packed with ice and I put half in the fridge, and half in the freezer. I don’t know that they’re a great “toast” option, but there great for a breakfast sandwich or grilled cheese.
Honored Contributor

@nanny24 I like the Parmesan Folios for a cracker substitute.  The only store I've seen them at is Costco.  There are instructions about making them online, too.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Am new to the KETO thing...is there such a thing as a Keto bread or crackers? Would like a slice of bread sometimes, or crackers with dip or cheese. If yes, are these at regular grocery stores or specialty stores? I confess, I have not checked. 

@nanny24 

Good question ... I've been buying the small low carb tortillas, for lack of a better idea.   I put some scrambled eggs & cheese in them for a hearty breakfast.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@nanny24 wrote:

@nanny24 

Good question ... I've been buying the small low carb tortillas, for lack of a better idea.   I put some scrambled eggs & cheese in them for a hearty breakfast.   

The keto way of eating is ALWAYS low carb, but low carb ISN’T ALWAYS keto.  If your tortillas contain ANY corn, wheat, or rice, they ARE NOT keto friendly. 

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Ketoers - do you like Brussels Sprouts?  I always have but my husband is a different story.  I made the recipe below and converted him.  These are so good.  We're invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a family member's home.  They are not keto and we do not expect them to create their menu around us.  I'm bring a few traditional family favorites, to contribute even if DH and I don't eat them.  I will also bring these Brussels Sprouts and a keto version of pumpkin pie for us to enjoy.  

Cream Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Thank you @JeanLouiseFinch, that recipe looks amazing, can't wait to try it.  I love brussel sprouts, but haven't had them for years.

Respected Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Ketoers - do you like Brussels Sprouts?  I always have but my husband is a different story.  I made the recipe below and converted him.  These are so good.  We're invited to Thanksgiving dinner at a family member's home.  They are not keto and we do not expect them to create their menu around us.  I'm bring a few traditional family favorites, to contribute even if DH and I don't eat them.  I will also bring these Brussels Sprouts and a keto version of pumpkin pie for us to enjoy.  

Cream Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Thank you @JeanLouiseFinch, that recipe looks amazing, can't wait to try it.  I love brussel sprouts, but haven't had them for years.

Oh my that looks yummy and easy to do!!  I also noticed some other ideas for veggies on that link....thanks for sharingWoman Happy I need ideas to make veggies taste better.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Just a heads up....I read about CARMIE's keto experience in another thread.  I don't know how she followed the plan, but it's caused me to believe some reminders are in order for those of us who are living the keto WOE.

*  Pink Himalayan Salt - your body (heart) will need more salt now to maintain good heart function.  Don't use regular table salt.  You want the Pink Himalayan because there are better minerals in it.  Salt your food, put a pinch in a glass of water.

*  If you aren't getting enough of the minerals from salt, you might want to consider taking a good electrolyte supplement (flavored powder you mix in water).  Some people think a Gatorade or Propel is fine, but I've read they are barely OK.

*  Speaking of water, drink A LOT!  Have your coffee and your tea, but always have your water within reach.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

A couple questions ..... just how is the salt level going down on keto?  I've always been a low salt person due to high blood pressure possibilities, so adding salt seems ... weird.   

Also, if I recall correctly, the best butter to use is "grass fed" butter.  Is that correct?  I'm pretty sure I've seen it, but lately all I've found  (besides regular) are organic, Irish or European butters.  No idea what Irish or European butters are, but would like to know what you think is best.   

TIA  !

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Just a heads up....I read about CARMIE's keto experience in another thread.  I don't know how she followed the plan, but it's caused me to believe some reminders are in order for those of us who are living the keto WOE.

*  Pink Himalayan Salt - your body (heart) will need more salt now to maintain good heart function.  Don't use regular table salt.  You want the Pink Himalayan because there are better minerals in it.  Salt your food, put a pinch in a glass of water.

*  If you aren't getting enough of the minerals from salt, you might want to consider taking a good electrolyte supplement (flavored powder you mix in water).  Some people think a Gatorade or Propel is fine, but I've read they are barely OK.

*  Speaking of water, drink A LOT!  Have your coffee and your tea, but always have your water within reach.

@JeanLouiseFinch 

A couple questions ..... just how is the salt level going down on keto?  I've always been a low salt person due to high blood pressure possibilities, so adding salt seems ... weird.   

Also, if I recall correctly, the best butter to use is "grass fed" butter.  Is that correct?  I'm pretty sure I've seen it, but lately all I've found  (besides regular) are organic, Irish or European butters.  No idea what Irish or European butters are, but would like to know what you think is best.   

TIA  !

@Tinkrbl44   For many decades we have been lead to believe that salt is bad.  That’s really not true. Lots of stuff out there for you to read about that.  There’s nothing in the keto way of eating that’s supposed to lessen the level of salt in your system.  In fact, for some people, this way of eating can have a diuretic effect. When a person urinates a lot, they could lose important minerals like salt, magnesium, and potassium.  The loss can negatively effect heart function if they are too low. Most of us are already deficient in magnesium and potassium so those need to be supplemented appropriately with a good electrolyte formula.  Salt is easily available but it’s best to use the Himalayan pink salt because it contains helpful mineral.  Among other undesirable things, sugar can be found in white table salt so it should be avoided on keto.  

Regarding butter, yes, it’s best to use a grass fed variety like Kerrygold Irish Butter.  Before converting to the keto way of eating we already used this kind because it’s so good. I buy it at Costco for the best price.  Overall, the best keto option would be organic, grass fed meats and eggs as well. The reason for this is to avoid any negative effect from grains that had been fed to the cows, pigs, chickens.  While that’s optimal, for some individuals and families, it may not be practical or affordable.  That doesn’t negate what is best though. People just need to do the best they can on their own journey.  

Honored Contributor

I've got zucchini fritters in the oven.  I've made them before and they are easy and delicious.  Make sure you cook them long enough to get crispy at the edges.  I bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  It's much neater and less messy than frying.

On page 79 of this cookbook:

Image result for ketodiet cookbook

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.