Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Watching a lot of Dr. Berg's videos lately.  We need 4700 mg. daily and the majority of people do not get enough potassium in their diet.  Potassium protects our ateries, heart, kidneys, helps blood pressure etc.  Not enough and we could be at risk for heart attack. I've read about supplementing with electrolytes while following the keto WOE.  Most powdered mixes don't come close to meeting our requirements.  Eating avocados and leafy green salads helps, but we still can't eat enough to reach the 4700 mg.  Dr. Berg has created an electrolyte powder that contains 1000 mg. per serving.  I think I'm going to start taking it.  

The fact that he’s selling products like that powder make me leery of him, @JeanLouiseFinch.  Maybe your doc will check your potassium levels.

@tansy  Dr. Berg is an excellent resource for the keto and IF WOE.  I originally had similar feelings, but I've checked out his comments about requirements and they seem to be accurate.  The amount of potassium in the food I'm eating is lacking, even though they are good sources.  This is true for the majority of people.  Most postassium supplements don't come anywhere close to meeting our requirements and we can't eat enough in a day either.  I'm not due to see my NP until after the first of the year.  I will include a potassium check with the usual blood test.  There are a few other supplements out there with 900-1000 mg, but they have unfriendly infriendly ingredients that his doesn't have.  

Honored Contributor

When following the Keto WOE, it's strongly recommended to supplement with collagen. It comes in both liquid, powder, and capsule form. Many keto authorities also recommend having some bone broth every day to help maintain collagen in our system.

signs of collagen deficiency.jpg

Honored Contributor

Dr. Axe has some good information on collagen.

Dr. Axe on Collagen

CollagenGraphic.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

My DH makes the best pizza...it's so good it is the only pizza we have eaten since we started this low carb/keto journey over a year ago.

He uses the Mission low carb wraps (6 carbs each)...2 for each of us. Then he swirls on a couple of tablespoons on each of the Newman's Own Sockarooni sauce, then mozz cheese, pepperoni and crumbled bacon (I pre-cooked & crumbled earlier in the day)...

He then bakes them on a pre-heated to 400 degrees stone in the oven with parchment paper...2 at a time for about 8-10 minutes. It gives the wraps a nice crispy texture like a thin crust pizza. After letting each batch cool for about 10 minutes, he'll use a pizza cutter to make 6 pizza slices per pizza/wrap and then plates them up.

Fun to eat and YUMMY!

Honored Contributor
We make pizza with the low carb, high fiber FlatOuts flatbread. I put almost whatever I want on them...most veggies and pepperoni and cheese for DH. I use some crumbled bacon for mine. I bake them on my George Foreman grill. Only way to bake anything in the horrible summer heat that doesn’t ever seem to let up, even for a day.
Honored Contributor
Just bought the Dash mini waffle maker at Target yesterday for $9.99. Now what?
Honored Contributor
DH loves brussel sprouts the way DD makes the....halve them, spread out on baking sheet, lightly drizzle with olive oil and then add diced Canadian bacon. Roast in oven til crispy. He won’t eat brussel sprouts any other way now.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

@lovesrecess  Post #29 in this thread, I supplied a number of chaffle recipes.  You can make them sweet or savory, to replace regular waffles or as a bread substitute for sandwiches or individual pizza crust.  Just be careful about what you add on top and count those macros.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
DH loves brussel sprouts the way DD makes the....halve them, spread out on baking sheet, lightly drizzle with olive oil and then add diced Canadian bacon. Roast in oven til crispy. He won’t eat brussel sprouts any other way now.

Sounds delicious!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]
  • J

@lovesrecess wrote:

@lovesrecess   So far I have just done the most basic chaffle which is one egg and half a cup of shredded cheese mixed together.  I used Swiss but most people do mozzarella. This recipe is for two chaffles.  

Again, for the record, I am not keto but do LCHF.