Respected Contributor

Re: Keto Sharing

[ Edited ]

Some information from a family vlogger who has been doing keto for about a year.Thought it might be helpful.

🎈What are macros? Macros are your daily caloric intake for the keto diet, broken into categories of optimal fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. They are also your literal map for keto success. Where you can track your macros for free 🐸(w w w.ruled.me) with this you will need to know your BMI which you can get in the monitor your weight app which is below in my favorite keto apps⬇️

🎈Also some of my favorite keto apps I use are:

carb manager app- it helps me track my food and calories each day.

Monitor your weight app - it helps me keep track of my weightloss progress

Life fasting tracker app- helps when I'm intermittent fasting

Lazy keto app- keto recipes

My fitness pal app

🎈Keto tips:

•Drink plenty of water

•Get your electrolytes in each day ( I get ultima electrolytes or key nutrients electrolyte powder in lemonade and pink Himalayan salt works to)

•Workout if you can but it's not required for weight loss •Update your macros every 15 lbs you lose

• If you slip up don't give up, just get back on your journey. •Macros are key with keto

ETA: Deactivated the 🐸link in parentheses.  Put the w’s back together to access.

Honored Contributor

If you are following the Keto WOE to lose weight, and if you are tracking macros, no matter what your macro calculator says, keep your protein 20 points less than your fat.  If you are close or the protein is higher than your fat intake, too much protein turns to sugar in your body and you will either stall or gain.

Trusted Contributor

I've finally decided to jump on the Chaffle bandwagon and am wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe to share.  There are so many variations online.  I'm also wondering if anyone that makes the basic recipe of one egg and some shredded cheese also puts some cheese on the top and bottom before adding the mixture.  Some things I read said it makes them crispier, but most of the recipes I've looked at don't say to do that.

I'm also wondering if anyone makes in a Belgian waffle maker rather than the mini one that is in all the recipes (maybe @JeanLouiseFinch - sorry don't have time to read the entire thread to look for a post right now).  I own a Belgian one but wondering if it will make them too thick.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Honored Contributor

Y'all, we had company a week and a half ago.  I made all keto foods.  Some were great and others need some more practice or tweaking.  LOL, my fathead bagels were pretty sickly looking but nobody cared.  Even though everything was keto approved, I went off my 16/8 IF and had breakfast two mornings and ended up going over on my carbs a little bit.  The result was a 1 lb. weight gain.  I got right back on track after our company left, but it still took me a week to get rid of that pound.  This morning I weighed and another 2 lbs. off, for a total of 30 lbs. in a little under 3 months!  I love this way of eating.  

I recently started using the Carb Manager app.  What a great tool!  

Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

I've finally decided to jump on the Chaffle bandwagon and am wondering if anyone has a favorite recipe to share.  There are so many variations online.  I'm also wondering if anyone that makes the basic recipe of one egg and some shredded cheese also puts some cheese on the top and bottom before adding the mixture.  Some things I read said it makes them crispier, but most of the recipes I've looked at don't say to do that.

I'm also wondering if anyone makes in a Belgian waffle maker rather than the mini one that is in all the recipes (maybe @JeanLouiseFinch - sorry don't have time to read the entire thread to look for a post right now).  I own a Belgian one but wondering if it will make them too thick.

Thanks for any suggestions!

@lkat  Depending on how you plan to use them, you can start super simple with your chaffle.  For instance, if you want to use them as your "bread" for a sandwich you can just do:
2 eggs
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2 T. Almond flour
2 T.Cream Cheese

IMO, the mini Belgian waffle maker is a perfect size for sandwiches, little pizzas, actual chaffle waffles.  You could try making your chaffle in the very center of your iron, estimating about a 4 inch circle, but it will have those dividing lines in it which could crack/break while eating your sandwich.  If your OK with that, no one else would be the wiser.

Super Contributor

I too, bought a dash waffle maker . Made a few chaffle recipes . Savory and sweet. But decided it’s entirely to much cheese for me . 

Honored Contributor

@GinzTonic wrote:

I too, bought a dash waffle maker . Made a few chaffle recipes . Savory and sweet. But decided it’s entirely to much cheese for me . 

I like the basic recipe.  I wish the Dash was a bit sturdier though.  

Super Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@GinzTonic wrote:

I like the basic recipe.  I wish the Dash was a bit sturdier though.  

It is cute , but I am already over it . 

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@marky wrote:

I have used the Xanthum Gum.  It works well and doesn't take much.  I bought mine at a local health food store but have also seen it at a local Amish store.  My husband can't tell the difference when I make gravy.

Thanks for sharing, @marky .  I've used it in a recipe or two so far, but not to actually make gravy.  That's good to know, though, for the next time I make a roast.  Does it measure the same as flour for that purpose, or do you just eyeball it?

@JeanLouiseFinch  I start out with a small amount (less than I would use for flour) and then just eyeball it and keep adding the Xanthum Gum until it's the thickness I like.  I don't add it directly to the hot liquid.  I dissolve it in a little cool water and then add to the juices of the meat.

Respected Contributor

I just signed up for Diet Doctor program to make sure that I am doing everything correctly.  Fingers crossed.  I am enjoying reading all of your progress.  Good job.