Valued Contributor

Anyone take any of the Keto supplements or carb blockers and have success even if you don't stay on the Keto diet completely.  I'm wondering how much they block or control the desire for carbs.  

Valued Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

Anyone take any of the Keto supplements or carb blockers and have success even if you don't stay on the Keto diet completely.  I'm wondering how much they block or control the desire for carbs.  

Hi @patticakes, I've been Keto since Nov. 3rd and have never used any of the supplements out there.  I started it to help with inflammation from an autoimmune arthritis I have.  In July my CRP test ( measures inflammation in the body) was 18.4 which is extremely high, in 14 years I've never had a normal test.  After just 3 weeks of eating Keto my test number was .35  and as of yesterday I've lost 25lbs.  My cholestrol and BP are perfect and contrary to some peoples beliefs, I don't live on bacon and butter, lol.

I personally don't believe in all the supplements and "keto packaged" food out there.  For me, cutting out sugar and carbs like potatoes and pasta etc has worked and I don't miss any of it. I wish you well and good health, do what works for you!  Heart  

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing I have found that reduces carb/sugar cravings is chromium. It's a naturally occurring mineral.

250mcg like twice a day. I get it in a veggie cap and it's cheap at GNC. Never had any side effects.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

....and this is where we are.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of this.  If you can stop the carbs cold turkey, it may take a few days or so but your body will stop craving it.  Sugar/ carbs are literally like a drug and there is a withdrawal period but you will get there in a relatively short period of time.  

If you are dying for bread, I make almond flour quick breads that are super simple and fill that void.  You can even make them with unsweetened apple sauce in place of the eggs sometimes which makes them like a sweet bread.  There are workarounds for the real thing if you want to be committed to a zero/minimal carb lifestyle.    

If it's a true sugar thing, it just depends on how disciplined you are.  You can always do low sugar fruit like berries if you need a hit of sweetness.  Just got to be careful of how much, how often, and the type of fruit.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have never heard of this.  If you can stop the carbs cold turkey, it may take a few days or so but your body will stop craving it.  Sugar/ carbs are literally like a drug and there is a withdrawal period but you will get there in a relatively short period of time.  

If you are dying for bread, I make almond flour quick breads that are super simple and fill that void.  You can even make them with unsweetened apple sauce in place of the eggs sometimes which makes them like a sweet bread.  There are workarounds for the real thing if you want to be committed to a zero/minimal carb lifestyle.    

If it's a true sugar thing, it just depends on how disciplined you are.  You can always do low sugar fruit like berries if you need a hit of sweetness.  Just got to be careful of how much, how often, and the type of fruit.  

I make a sugar free cranberry sauce using Stevia.  It is so good...  Not only low in calories... the cranberry is low in natural sugars, high in fiber. I add  my cranberry sauce it to my green salad to add a little tart sweetness... spread it on low carb bread... 

Trusted Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

@patticakes wrote:

Hi @patticakes, I've been Keto since Nov. 3rd and have never used any of the supplements out there.  I started it to help with inflammation from an autoimmune arthritis I have.  In July my CRP test ( measures inflammation in the body) was 18.4 which is extremely high, in 14 years I've never had a normal test.  After just 3 weeks of eating Keto my test number was .35  and as of yesterday I've lost 25lbs.  My cholestrol and BP are perfect and contrary to some peoples beliefs, I don't live on bacon and butter, lol.

I personally don't believe in all the supplements and "keto packaged" food out there.  For me, cutting out sugar and carbs like potatoes and pasta etc has worked and I don't miss any of it. I wish you well and good health, do what works for you!  Heart  

@Suelizexcellent response. I also eat Keto whole foods only. No need to waste money on supplements when you are eating good quality whole foods with all their nutritional value in tact. The best carb blocker is my mouth Smiley LOL

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  You know I have not tried cooking with Stevia yet?  Definitely on my list to try and I was just saying to myself this week, I need to really increase the variety since I am having a hard time with salad in winter time.  

That sauce sounds delicious.  

Respected Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

@patticakes wrote:

@Sueliz  Wow your labs after doing Keto is amazing and I am so glad you found something to help your autoimmune disease/inflammation!!

Could I ask you is there a good website for recipes you use?  

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

....and this is where we are.

I don't always agree with you, but love your reply here!