Respected Contributor

Re: Keto/Low Carb...food ideas you use

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

@fourpaws56I love PB & have I think 88% chocolate bar in fridge, like that snack idea!  How do you make the Choc/PB shake?

I use Atkins chocolate protein powder

8 oz any milk,I like almond, 1 banana a teaspoon or two p/b

lots of ice, I use my nutri bullet, it tastes like a very decodent milk shake...in the summer I have that for dinner

Respected Contributor

my little 5 yr old grandson loves them, for him I use nestles quick, not the atkins

Honored Contributor

I make a quick almond bread from almond flour (make my own in the VItamix), substitute a couple eggs with unsweetened applesauce and add in some flaxseed and it is delicious.  I make it a couple times a week normally. 

I also make falafel puffs from garbanzo bean flour as well.  Very simple to mix with spices and fry in olive oil for a few seconds for a nice add to vegetable dishes too especially if you don't like seafood and are trying to be mindful of meat. 

Respected Contributor

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

I am curiuos what people eat who are on these eating plans.  

I want to convert my diet to less carbs & I know a lot of info is on-line, just wonder exactly what people eat for meals & snacks? any desserts?

Thanks!

My BIL lost 100 pounds eating no carbs.  He started eating no carbs just before Thanksgivng 2017.  Saw him around then and he'd already lost 20-30 pounds.  Fast forward to July 2018 when I just saw him again and he's down 100 pounds.  I know he started at eating no carbs at all.  Usually a protein and a vegetable but he now incorporates a little bit of carbs here and there.  Like half a hamburger bun.  He drinks no soda, only water and seltzer.  He was never a snack person and never liked chocolate.  My BIL started exercising, just walking but later started using the gym in his home association.  I've know my BIL just about my entire life.  He's just turned 52 and he looks like what he did in high school now. 

Honored Contributor

DH was put on keto and his dr said not to overdo protein....small portions of meat and large portions of veggies/one piece of fruit per day; preferably berries.No sugar or flour or starch. For dessert I make sugar free jello and sugar free pudding; he has one of those in the evenings after dinner. Dr. told him not to do high-fat....just low carb.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Be careful with skipping a meal or intermittent fasting; can mess up your blood sugar.

Costco:

Premier Protein shakes

Kirkland protein bars 

Frozen, organic riced cauliflower.

Stir-fry frozen veggies.

Almond flour in 3 lb bag.

Large box of salad greens or baby spinach.

Kroger:

Carbmaster yogurt

Carbmaster milk, regular, chocolate, or vanilla.

Trusted Contributor

@AnnMarie-1

I've been noticing that carbs bloat me and make me tired, even though I work out.

I keep it very simple....fresh veggies, steamed shrimp, burgers, bacon, eggs, grass fed butter, cheese, coconut oil.  I made an awesome spinich, cheese, bacon and mushroom quiche last week.  It was to die for.  I've also made Fat Head Pizza.  Very good also.  Other than that, I keep things very simple.

As for sweets, I steer clear of them.  Even if they have stevia or Swerve or any other non sugar sweetener.  It just keeps triggering the sweet tooth and wanting more. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie

Keep your sugar free stuff in check.  Sugar free foods can stall weight loss.

Trusted Contributor

@Hooty

It is a healthy diet.  People have been told for years that fat is the enemy and fat causes heart disease.  Well, there has been a lot of research and they found that carbs/sugar are the culprits for heart disease, strokes, heart attacks - not fat. 

Do some research on keto.  You will be surprised what you learn.