Trusted Contributor

Re: Keto Friendly Ice Creams

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 , You are a dear on this forum. I can always count on you for reasoned posts.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

@Trinity11 , You are a dear on this forum. I can always count on you for reasoned posts.

Thank you @FLgardener . 💕At first I thought this was your other thread...just know I know exactly where you were coming from on it. 🌺

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not eat sugar. Period. I have not for years and am not going to start now.

I did not have bad noticeable side effects from artificial sweetners, but I gave them up bit by bit due to potential deleterous effects on the body.  Hubby is a diabetic and uses a little stevia in his coffee.  I drink mine black. 

I suppose if I wanted ice cream I would make it. 

BTW, I do eat keto: mostly green leafy vegtables, salads with non-starchy raw vegtables, fish, pastured raised eggs, extra virgin olive oil, occasionally certain types of nuts.  

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Everyone on the board probably knows I have lived a keto lifestyle for close to three years, mostly clean but a little dirty on occasion.  I am an ingredient nerd and label reader.  Not all sweeteners are equal. For the most part, I make our sweet treats but we do buy keto ice cream treats now and then. They don't bother either of us. 

Honored Contributor

I am glad that you survived that battle in your belly.  For ice cream, I freeze bananas and use the vita mix with whatever frozen fruit is available (our favorite is frozen cherries).  Wonderful treat...all natural, no store bought product tastes this good, healthy, and easy to make. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 About 4  years ago I bought a small bag of Russell Stover sugar free candy. Ate one piece and tossed the rest. Tasted awful.

Esteemed Contributor

I won't be giving up artificial sweetener anytime soon. We make pickled Persian cucumbers all the time. Yum!

Trusted Contributor

I always read the ingredient list on sugar free foods and learned a long time ago to avoid anything that ends in "tol".  Just as well, as these sugar substitutes are so bad for us.

Trusted Contributor

I tried to find some of my research on how sugar alcohols work in the body, but I can't locate it right now. Instead, I am seeing an overload of platitudes for them in my search.

What I remember is that sugar alcohols profoundly affect the beneficial bacteria balance in the bowels. That study prompted me to rebuild my good bacteria  by using supplements, yogurt and kefir. It took weeks to rebuild a good balance.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Everyone on the board probably knows I have lived a keto lifestyle for close to three years, mostly clean but a little dirty on occasion.  I am an ingredient nerd and label reader.  Not all sweeteners are equal. For the most part, I make our sweet treats but we do buy keto ice cream treats now and then. They don't bother either of us. 

Well, one slip and you're in for a devestating imbalance.
I had thought keto was a natural way of eating. Now I think it is a nasty combo of chemical extracts and powders and stuff that is total bunk.