Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach   I actually bought the paleo instead.  I am a big fan of cassava flour so I went with that one but keto is on the list to try too.  

I picked up a couple of Daiya products but, if I remember right, they had oils in them that I can't use or coconut which is a no no for me.  

Honored Contributor

In case you're interested, @Laura14 ,this is one of the better paleo books I own.  It's available in an ebook version, too, but I like the heft of the "real" book.

Some of the recipes are good (I haven't tried everything) and I especially like that she has outlined meal plans for the first 30 days of someone wanting to take a more specific approach.  She includes, for example, eating plan suggestions for autoimmune disorders, blood sugar regulation, and more.

The reviews on amazon are very good.

Image result for Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach   I was just about to head to the book store.  Thank you so much!  Again!!

Honored Contributor

I have one more to add. 

I bought Textured Vegetable Protein which I saw on Dr Oz a few months back.  I found it in my local supermarket, $2 a bag.  It tastes like nothing.  You reconstitute it in water or chicken broth and then flavor it however you want.  It takes on the flavor of whatever you put on it.  

It's billed as a meat substitute for tacos or chili.  I wouldn't go that far.  It's definitely not ground meat but I made tacos with my almond flour grain free taco shells, my dairy free cashew cheese sauce, broccoli slaw and hot sauce and it was fantastic. Meat is better but this is an acceptable plant alternative vegan meal.  

Respected Contributor

If anyone is interested in how medical keto works, a YouTube family is about to embark on that journey with their toddler. The diet treatment is for seizures that developed after brain surgery.  In the interim, CBD oil has also been prescribed.

The channel is: Grace for the Millers

Trusted Contributor

Re: KETO diet plans

[ Edited ]

I was very recently prescribed an anti-inflammatory diet to follow which is essentially meat and vegetables.  It is a similar premise to keto as far as adopting the "hunter-gatherer" philosophy of the Paleo Diet.  I've been on it for 2 weeks and I've lost 5 pounds without even trying.  I have maybe 10 extra pounds and if I continue to lose (although I'm sure it's mostly water at this point) I will have to find ways to add calories to my diet. I'm not hungry and I'm not bored and most importantly I am feeling better already!

I think there is no one solution for everyone in terms of diet (what we eat).  I think each person has to find what works for them as long as they feel great and their physiological markers remain healthy.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Getting more interested in trying the Keto plan. I purchased a couple of magazines this morning about Keto and will see what I think. I did purchase the Slimfast KETO bars sometime back, just to try them, and I find them very filling. On the box it says to use a bar for each of two meals, and then a regular Keto meal for the third one. They are quite yummy, I must admit.

Thanks to those of you who have shared your success with Keto. I'm sure there is no one way to do it, but I think my biggest concern would be taking the time to figure out that I have the correct percentage of fat, protein, and carb.

Is that every single meal, or can you have that percentage averaged throughout the day? In other words, as long as you eat 70% fat (for instance) overall during the day, does it matter if one meal was more protein than the equation calls for? Or do you need to make sure every time you eat the percentage of fat is correct, the percentage of protein was correct, and the percentage of carb is the same?

Thanks for any help you may give. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 @geezerette 

@geezerette wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Absolutely @tsavorite   I didn't realize I left them out.  It is called Siete.  You can get it through Amazon but I ordered direct through their website sietefoods.com.  Free two day shipping and no tax.  It's a couple bucks cheaper to go direct.   

Everything is grain free, dairy free, soy free and a lot of other things free.  Even the flavored chips are flavored naturally.  Nothing bad that I've found yet and I am very picky about taste and I love most of what I've tried. 

The tortillas wrap beautifully and I've frozen packs at a time, thawed in the fridge when needed and they come out very well.  So far, no complaints although I am not a fan of the lime chips.  They're okay but I prefer the sea salt and nacho and ranch. No salt is good too.   The lime just gets to me after a while but that's my taste buds and not the product.  

@Laura14 

Thanks for this.  I can’t handle grains and occasionally would like some sort of bread substitute.  I’ll have to check it out!👍

Thank you so much!

Have been eating the Siete chips and LOVE.

Now I am longing to try the tortillas!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: KETO diet plans

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

Getting more interested in trying the Keto plan. I purchased a couple of magazines this morning about Keto and will see what I think. I did purchase the Slimfast KETO bars sometime back, just to try them, and I find them very filling. On the box it says to use a bar for each of two meals, and then a regular Keto meal for the third one. They are quite yummy, I must admit.

Thanks to those of you who have shared your success with Keto. I'm sure there is no one way to do it, but I think my biggest concern would be taking the time to figure out that I have the correct percentage of fat, protein, and carb.

Is that every single meal, or can you have that percentage averaged throughout the day? In other words, as long as you eat 70% fat (for instance) overall during the day, does it matter if one meal was more protein than the equation calls for? Or do you need to make sure every time you eat the percentage of fat is correct, the percentage of protein was correct, and the percentage of carb is the same?

Thanks for any help you may give. Heart

@World Traveler 

I haven't completely made the total switch yet, but in this book, the author relates (on page 26) that the proportions of fat, protein, and carbs that work for different people can be individual for each person.  For example, he says for himself it's like this: fat 80%, protein 15%, and carbs 5%.

For his wife: 60, 25, and 15.  For his female co-author: 70-80, 15-20, and 5 or fewer.

I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but I hope it's a start.

Image result for the ketogenic cookbook

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach Thanks! I may check that book out. The photo below shows one of the magazines I picked up at the grocery store in order to learn more. So far (halfway thru it), I don't find that it would be hard to follow; in fact, I think it would be simple. It is a very informative magazine.

On one page it talks about a delivery service, if one wanted to go that route. It is a meal-delivery service called Green Chef. They have organic ingredients, all measured and prepped, and "provides everything you need to have a home-cooked keto dinner in 30 minutes."

Another section of the magazine provides information if you are used to eating Mediterranean, and how to incorporate Keto. Same with pan-Asian and vegan.

I'm still hung up on the percentages (thanks for the info you gave on that), and it appears that is the only thing you have to track. Probably an app for that. I would just need to be cognizant of what packaging says about amount of fat so I reach the goal.

Well, I'm off to eat one of the SlimFast KETO bars (whipped peanut butter chocolate) while reading more of this interesting magazine.

IMG_4086 2.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg