Valued Contributor

Thank you for your post. I have been trying to follow a low carb diet, it's hard sometimes because I love carbs! I recommend George Stella's cookbooks. I just ordered his latest one with keto recipes for the instant pot, if anyone is interested. I found it here on qvc😊

Honored Contributor

OMG, @World Traveler 

Great minds and all that, I just picked up the SAME magazine this morning at WF!  Best wishes going forward.  Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor
I want to say great job. I hope folks are changing their diets with the assistance of their doctors.
Respected Contributor

There's an app called Carb Manager that figures out your percentages of carbs, fat and protein for you, and how many carbs you should eat in a day and the amount of calories you should be shooting for.  Very easy and user friendly

Honored Contributor

I've been doing the KETO plan for a few days now. Although it scared the heck out of me because of the fat percentages, I must say I feel really great. Don't know anything about the "keto flu" yet or perhaps I've not been on it long enough. 

I intend to get some lab work done before the end of the year and compare it with the lab report I got this past January, which was very good. I credited those good results to the Andrew Lessman products I take, three of which target cholesterol. Indeed, my doctor was quite impressed with the change in my numbers after using the products.

But this is all different, so I'm interested in seeing what, if anything, may have changed (for the good or bad).

Honored Contributor

Kelly Clarkson and Usher (among many) have been raving about a new (to some) diet.  I believe it was in People Magazine it was mentioned.

Here's the info on it:https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a21236736/kelly-clarkson-the-plant-paradox/

The Dr that designed this died was on XM Seris radio (XM 109) and said that as many as (I believe...don't quote me) 80% of his patients who had Fibromyalgia and auto-immunine diseases are much better and many with Type 2 Diabetes no longer have it....at all.

I'm going from memory here but I believe he said on the "Just Jenny" show (radio) that he is a Cardiac surgeon.  He has just (2 months ago) released a newer book on the same subject/diet.

My daughter and I both have auto-immune diseases.  I intend to buy it and send her one also.

Here's a little from the article about this subject:

That book she's referencing is called The Plant Paradox by Steven Gundry, M.D., and “it’s basically about how we cook our food, non-GMO, no pesticides, eating really organic...Literally, I haven’t worked out at all," she said. 

But, while she admits the diet helped her drop pounds and feel healthier overall, Kelly still had some real talk for the diet (and healthy eating in general): "Honestly, I'm gonna be real with you: It's really expensive to do," she said. "I was poor growing up, and there's no way my family could have afforded this." 

Gundry's a cardiac surgeon who says on his website that certain health foods like fruits and vegetables can harm your body by producing lectins, which he calls “toxic chemical compounds.”

“When lectins invade our bodies, they can cause some serious inflammatory responses and other health issues, like leaky gut syndrome, weight gain, brain fog, and more,” Gundry writes on his website.

His book provides a list of foods and ingredients that he says don’t do this, including vegetables like broccoli and cabbage, along with fish and pasture-raised poultry. Fruits, however, are limited: only in-season berries and avocados get the green light.

So, can cutting out lectins help you lose weight?

Honestly, probably not any more than any other diet.

“The book is based on the premise that lectins in grains, beans, peanuts, and other plant-based foods are pro-inflammatory,” says Julie Upton, R.D., co-founder of nutrition website Appetite for Health. “But there’s no good evidence that this actually the case.”

It should also be noted that a lectin-free diet restricts many, many foods that really aregood for you, like whole grains, most fruits, and nuts.

There is strong evidence, however, that the healthiest people tend to focus on plant-based diets—lectins included—so it’s tough to make a solid case that eating fruits and vegetables that contain lectins are going to harm you.

“I suspect Kelly Clarkson has lost weight by following an eating style that has fewer calories than what she was previously eating,” Upton says. “When people lose weight, if overweight, they tend to feel better and most health biomarkers improve, too.”

There's a lot more information about this 'diet' in various magazines.

There's no easy way to loose weight.  Take it from someone who's tried everything.  

Jenny (on XM Radio) also had a woman on there who has a practice in (I believe it was Massachusetts).  She's a therapist among other things.  She also talked about the research that's being done on how bacteria in our gut affects what our body does to the food we eat and so on and so on.

It's all fascinating.  The therapist described what I've always said and felt.  It's always been pretty easy for me to loose the weight, but it's very, very difficult to keep it off.  This is the exact same thing most people say.  When the interviewer (Jenny) said that she went into describing why our bodies are predispositioned to being a certain weight and why we go right back up to that weight after awhile.

I think most overweight people (I know I could) write a book on what to eat and how to loose weight.  It's just doing it and keep doing it and keeping it off that throws me.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Believe it or not, there are some cardiologists out ther who recommend the keto plan.

I would say ‘cardiologists’ or ‘doctors’ in quotes.

No reputable medical professional would think eating

65-75-80% fat on a daily basis is a good idea,

let alone a cardiologist. 

Nor would any of them ever think eating primarily potatoes was a good idea, either ....   everything in moderation.

Honored Contributor

Question for anyone familiar with keto .....   what can you eat for dessert?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Question for anyone familiar with keto .....   what can you eat for dessert?

It can feel like there’s not much, but there is. Depends on your taste in keto foods,. If you want to stay natural, chia pudding. If you want to eat products, Atkins makes a number of good ones. Berries and whipped heavy cream are always good.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx I'm not sure this counts as dessert, but the meal replacement bars that Slimfast puts out that says KETO in big letters on the front of the bar are very, very good. There is a triple chocolate one and one that is chocolate peanut butter, and I find them very tasty. I get them at Walmart. At least for me, I feel like I am having dessert. Smiley LOL