Respected Contributor

Re: Just wondering if anyone has done ECT treatment for depression?

@SilleeMee wrote:

My MIL went through several ECT treatments for depression many years ago. I did not know her when she went through it. Her family told me it made her have permanent memory loss. She had no recollection of raising her children and even some events before that. Sadly, her depression never went away afterwards and she continued to be on drugs and struggled with suicidal thoughts which put her under lockdown in a facility for weeks at a time. She's gone now, died of natural causes.

Thank you for sharing @Nuttmeg . I was asking for my daughter and the memory loss is what is keeping her from doing it. Meds have not worked for years so this was suggested by 2 doctors. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 I am on medication for depression and have not tried this. But there is a treatment called TMS or dTMS. Deep transcranial magnetic stimulation. It's FDA approved and non invasive.

I live in a small suburban town that even has a dedicated office that offers it. Don't know if your daughter could access it but try researching if you're interested.

I'd like to try it but you have to be off of anti depressants.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234, this is not what you talked about either, but another thing I have heard of is ketamine. I think it is given in an IV, my daughter works in mental health and told me that she has heard that people have had good results with it, when other treatments didn't work.

All of the best to you and your dear daughter. Praying for you both.

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@panda1234 I am on medication for depression and have not tried this. But there is a treatment called TMS or dTMS. Deep transcranial magnetic stimulation. It's FDA approved and non invasive.

I live in a small suburban town that even has a dedicated office that offers it. Don't know if your daughter could access it but try researching if you're interested.

I'd like to try it but you have to be off of anti depressants.

@Greeneyedlady21 thanks for the info. She did TMS a year ago but it did not work for her.

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@panda1234, this is not what you talked about either, but another thing I have heard of is ketamine. I think it is given in an IV, my daughter works in mental health and told me that she has heard that people have had good results with it, when other treatments didn't work.

@happycat  She is not able to take Ketamine due to her hearing voices. Doctor said it could make it worse for her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat  She is not able to take Ketamine due to her hearing voices. Doctor said it could make it worse for her. 

I am so sorry she hears voices, I know how scary that can be. Praying if she does do ECT therapy it will help, and if not that there will be someone who can help her.