Trusted Contributor

Re: Just when you least expect it..boom a coldsore

I noticed yesterday that I might have one coming in because the left side of my upper lip was swollen. The swelling is down today & there is no cold sore.

Honored Contributor

When I feel the tingle I apply Abreva & it goes away & never develops into a cold sore. Once you have the cold sore I don't know how long it would take for it to go away using Abreva.

Respected Contributor

I have also gotten cold sores since about the age of 4. I have my doc write a script for Valtrex. As soon as I feel the tingle I take (2) 500mg or (1) 1,000 mg whichever he has prescibed and one thing I have learned is that they seem to get bigger at night. I always take the medicine before bed also no matter what time I took the initial dose. I love it and it zaps it and the next day it has already killed the cold sore. It's not expensive either. Believe me I have tried all the creams and supplements but nothing kills it like the Valtrex.
Honored Contributor

Totally agree with prescription Valtrex orally, and Zovirax ointment topically. I don't have near as many coldsores now in my 50's, as I did in my 30's, but the medication and ointment take care of them quickly before they are visible. Am never without both medications.

Honored Contributor

L Lysine pills and ointment. I get it from Swanson or Puritans Pride.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/24/2014 Shelbelle said:

L Lysine pills and ointment. I get it from Swanson or Puritans Pride.

I agree. I take 1000 mg twice daily to prevent cold sores and shingles. They are both part of the herpes virus. I've been taking this for years, will never be without it!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/24/2014 Harpa said:

I used to get them, until I found a cure. Yes, a cure. H-balm from Forces of Nature. It is essential oils that are antifungal/antibacterial that you use topically (not on mouth), which wipes out the virus, which can erupt at any time into a cold sore. Amazon has it, but I've gotten mine from the Forces of Nature website.

I have used this on the shingles blisters too, dried them right up! Love Forces of Nature!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 squeaks said: I have used herpecinL HL30 for a long time. A pharmacist recommended this to me. As soon as I feel one developing I start to use it. I also use in winter for dry lips.

I agree - it's very soothing and helps heal the cold sore. It's also the best lip balm on the market - I use it every day.