Honored Contributor

Re: Just got my blood work back...

I actually had a pharmacist call me from the horrible Express Scripts place ,and ask me why I wasn't taking my statins

I told him I can't take it . It attacks my muscles..I will never take them again ,ever, under any circumstances. My left arm felt like electricity was running through it, for months and months, after I stopped taking it

This stupid pharmacist kept arguing with me, telling me I needed to take it..I should have hung up on him. I stopped using this outfit, and get my refills at Walgreens. They don't act like used car salesmen..

My Dr knew about it and told me to stop taking it

I don't have any plaque in my arteries. There is no heart disease in my family. My parents/grandparents all lived into their late 90's, and they were both type 2 diabetics

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Actually 107 is high if you are a diabetic. Diabetics should be under 100. And the latest findings is statins for diabetics is a life saving drug. It has been found to prevent so many complications from the disease. I'm a type 1 for the past 40 years. Whether you want to hear it or not I know what I'm talking about when it comes to diabetics and statins. Don't listen to what you read over the internet, ask your doctor. 

@151949 wrote:

and my total cholesterol was 107. The best it's ever been. All my individual # were good too. And the stupid Walgreens pharmacist wanted me to go on statins! BALONEY. She should wish her cholesterol was as good as mine.

For anyone who doesn't remember about a month ago a Walgreens pharmacist called me to tell me that because I'm on metformin I needed to be on a statin drug per the newest recommendations for diabetics.

Actually an LDL of 107 is high if you are a diabetic. Diabetics should be under 100 for their LDL . And the latest findings is statins for diabetics is a life saving drug. It has been found to prevent so many complications from this disease. I'm a type 1 for the past 40 years. Whether you want to hear it or not, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to diabetics and statins. Don't listen to what you read over the internet, ask your doctor. 

The OP did not say the '107' was the LDL. The OP said it was total cholesterol. @ID2

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

and my total cholesterol was 107. The best it's ever been. All my individual # were good too. And the stupid Walgreens pharmacist wanted me to go on statins! BALONEY. She should wish her cholesterol was as good as mine.

For anyone who doesn't remember about a month ago a Walgreens pharmacist called me to tell me that because I'm on metformin I needed to be on a statin drug per the newest recommendations for diabetics.

If anyone wants to read the background here's the July thread the OP mentioned:

"Call I just got from a Walgreens pharmacist "

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Call-I-just-got-from-a-Walgreens-pharmacist/td-p/4775424/highl...

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

A friend of mine who has struggled with very high overall cholesterol numbers for years and who ended up in the hospital from statins which almost killed her, recently started seeing a new doctor who told her that all of the cardiologists she had been to before should have done a breakdown of LDL test which they never have.  There are 2 types that are thought to be significantly different, one protective and one not.

Yes! I'm glad you mentioned this @QueenDanceALot. I read about the LDL-C and LDL-P  a while back and I was intrigued with what I read. The size of the LDL particles is the major difference, one type sticks to the vessel walls and the other passes through freely without causing harm...fascinating!

Esteemed Contributor

As I recall, after much, much discussion and many clarifications by the OP, it wasn't a Walgreen's pharmacist who wanted to put the OP on a statin but rather someone from the Walgreen's office who called to suggested a statin because of the diabetes.  Of the OP would speak to her doctor.

I suppose if the OP believes she's doing well healthwise, who arewe to question.  The OP is the OP.  That will never change.

Valued Contributor

I've found this post troublesome since I first read it yesterday.  

My primary care doc did blood work last month.  My total cholesterol is 146.  My doc said she hasn't seen a level this low for someone my age (almost 50) without medicine.  She's been my doc for about 8 years.  My chol level has been 143 to 146 over this time.  My Chol/LDL ratio is 2.8.  Meaning I am at a very low risk for heart disease.  She likes her patients to be around 5.  Low side of a normal ratio is 3.7.

When I told my brother (only because he asked) I told him.  He had to start bragging that his is 140.  He is only 13 years older than me.  He also takes metformin.  What and how we eat is completely different.  He eats lots of red meats and lots of fried food.  I have chicken or fish and lots of fruits and vegatables.  He has had several heart attacks, several strokes, and on dialysis three times a week.  If his chol level is 140 it surely isn't because of what and how he eats.    

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma,

Your post is another reminder of how different and unique we are as individuals.   Our test result numbers reflect our individual health, period. 

Cholesterol runs moderate to high in my mother; my dad had low cholesterol.   My brothers and I have low cholesterol, even tho we are heavy meat eaters.   Even after 10 years as his patient, my doctor cannot believe  I have low cholesterol and triglyceride levels.   He said his numbers have never been as low as mine, and I am 20 years older than him.    

Dad’s sister married a man with high cholesterol, and their 70ish year old sons have struggled for 40 years to keep their cholesterol controlled thru a very rigid diet and medication.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DrakesMomma wrote:

I've found this post troublesome since I first read it yesterday.  

My primary care doc did blood work last month.  My total cholesterol is 146.  My doc said she hasn't seen a level this low for someone my age (almost 50) without medicine.  She's been my doc for about 8 years.  My chol level has been 143 to 146 over this time.  My Chol/LDL ratio is 2.8.  Meaning I am at a very low risk for heart disease.  She likes her patients to be around 5.  Low side of a normal ratio is 3.7.

When I told my brother (only because he asked) I told him.  He had to start bragging that his is 140.  He is only 13 years older than me.  He also takes metformin.  What and how we eat is completely different.  He eats lots of red meats and lots of fried food.  I have chicken or fish and lots of fruits and vegatables.  He has had several heart attacks, several strokes, and on dialysis three times a week.  If his chol level is 140 it surely isn't because of what and how he eats.    

Mine is not low because I eat well either. It's because of good genes. No one I know of in our family has ever had high cholesterol.  I do swim often and exercise does help keep cholesterol low. (and by swim I mean I actually swim laps - not stand around bobbing in the water & call it swimming - I also do water aerobics.)

According to the lab result the normal for total cholesterol is 100 to 199. My 107 is perectly normal. There was no ratio given so I don't know what that is but I'm confident that with a total of 107 all the rest is well within parameters.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI:  too low cholesterol can cause certain cancers.  I was told that because somebody that knows both my brother and I is always bragging about his low cholesterol.   My brother is an Oncologist and that’s how I found that out.  

QVC Customer Care