Honored Contributor

Just got my blood work back...

[ Edited ]

and my total cholesterol was 107. The best it's ever been. All my individual # were good too. And the stupid Walgreens pharmacist wanted me to go on statins! BALONEY. She should wish her cholesterol was as good as mine.

For anyone who doesn't remember about a month ago a Walgreens pharmacist called me to tell me that because I'm on metformin I needed to be on a statin drug per the newest recommendations for diabetics.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just got my blood work back...

Since when do drug stores prescribe meds?   Never hear of it.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Since when do drug stores prescribe meds?   Never hear of it.

@fthunt  Should you want to hear all the gory details, there was an entire bizarre thread on the episode about a month ago.   I'm sure you would have no trouble finding it.  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Wow! Just wow! Most pharmacists have doctorate degrees. She “recommended” statins because you also happen to be a diabetic and is BASED on current guidelines. To call anyone “stupid” is pretty harsh. 

Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

Wow! Just wow! Most pharmacists have doctorate degrees. She “recommended” statins because you also happen to be a diabetic and is BASED on current guidelines. To call anyone “stupid” is pretty harsh. 

IMO that's what a doctor is for.  I want my pharmacist to fill my prescriptions and answer questions I may have, not prescribe medications when I'm seeing a doctor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suspect the pharmacy computer flagged all diabetics on metformin who were not taking statins.  The stupid pharmacist (last time she was a little twit) more than likely made numerous calls.

Recently I read an article at the cardiologist.  It was about the new guidelines concerning diabetics and statins.  Patients asked question about whether or not they were truly needed.  The consensus was yes.

No one has to accept medication recommendations.  In this case, the pharmacist was only making patients aware of the latest guidelines.  It is information an individual should discuss with his/her doctor.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine who has struggled with very high overall cholesterol numbers for years and who ended up in the hospital from statins which almost killed her, recently started seeing a new doctor who told her that all of the cardiologists she had been to before should have done a breakdown of LDL test which they never have.  There are 2 types that are thought to be significantly different, one protective and one not.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually 107 is high if you are a diabetic. Diabetics should be under 100. And the latest findings is statins for diabetics is a life saving drug. It has been found to prevent so many complications from the disease. I'm a type 1 for the past 40 years. Whether you want to hear it or not I know what I'm talking about when it comes to diabetics and statins. Don't listen to what you read over the internet, ask your doctor. 

@151949 wrote:

and my total cholesterol was 107. The best it's ever been. All my individual # were good too. And the stupid Walgreens pharmacist wanted me to go on statins! BALONEY. She should wish her cholesterol was as good as mine.

For anyone who doesn't remember about a month ago a Walgreens pharmacist called me to tell me that because I'm on metformin I needed to be on a statin drug per the newest recommendations for diabetics.

Actually an LDL of 107 is high if you are a diabetic. Diabetics should be under 100 for their LDL . And the latest findings is statins for diabetics is a life saving drug. It has been found to prevent so many complications from this disease. I'm a type 1 for the past 40 years. Whether you want to hear it or not, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to diabetics and statins. Don't listen to what you read over the internet, ask your doctor. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I would just like to add something to the conversation that hasn't exactly been mentioned here.  Doctors, even the really good ones, aren't always as vigilant as they should be and don't always give you the answers you need.  I've been told more than once by many people that their doctors don't know nearly as much about medications as pharmacists do, and I fully believe that. When I have questions, I count on my pharmacist as much as my doctor.  

I have heart history in my family... my father died at age 56 with his 2nd heart attack.  My brother had a major heart attack at age 60 and had quadruple bypass surgery, he's now 81.  I also had risk factors of high cholesterol and smoking (which I'm almost ashamed to admit).  

I was going to an internist (MALE) who was very well-respected in my area and was on his way to specializing in cardiology.  When I was about 42 or so, my total cholesterol was 292, my LDL was over 200, my triclycerides were 393, and I don't remember my HDL (maybe I didn't have any!), and I was smoking.  I did everything I was supposed to do religiously, diet, excercise, lost 25 pounds and in 15 months my numbers weren't anywhere close to where they should have been.  He joked about my smoking and said if I didn't quit that, I wouldn't need to worry about my cholesterol... in other words, smoking would get me first.

When he began his cardiology specialty, I changed to another internist as my regular doctor... a FEMALE, and the first thing she said was if I didn't get my numbers down, I was going on statins.  I had heard that doctors didn't treat women the same regarding heart risk as they do men.  My male doctor never once mentioned my starting on statins.  I had done everything I could possibly do other than the medication, and it just didn't work.  He had a fairly long career as a cardiologist and I saw him later for special tests, etc. - exceptional cardiologist, but I always remembered that he didn't prescribe a medication that I very much needed. (I did quit smoking when my brother had his heart attack, and its been 21 years...) 

My numbers have been excellent since going on the statin, I had to change the one I was taking at one point because of cramps in my legs and feet, but other than that I've been fine.  The point I'm trying to make in this rather lengthy post (my apologies) is that doctors aren't perfect.  If you have a pharmacist who apparently cares about your health, I just think that's a good thing.  We all need all the help we can get. Smiley Happy