Valued Contributor

Can't remember the last time I had one, and vision was getting a little blurry, so went today for a test.  My eyes had changed slightly, so of course, in addition to lenses, I needed new frames.  The test was covered by my insurance, but not the rest.  I got progressive lenses (as I had before) plus some kind of coating. I got a "package deal" and it came to $498.  That seemed awfully high to me, but then I haven't done this in probably 10 years.  What do ya'll think?  It just seemed easier to go ahead with them, as the eye test was done there.  Did I get fleeced or it that par for the course these days?

Trusted Contributor

About par. Around here, new glasses, lenses and extra coatings are about $500 with no bifocals.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom-

That price is shocking isn't it? But only several years ago, mine were about $400 and that was with the"discounts."

I did the same as you-got the glasses from the same place I got the exam from. It was some smaller place but the dr was covered under my insurance.

I felt like you , that it was probably overpriced and I never was happy with the glasses.

The best deal and glasses I ever got was at Vision works and another chain store-I think it was Sterling Optical.

I went to Target and Walmart once and their prices are lower but its hit or miss with how well the glasses are made to your prescription which I think makes all the difference and takes a lot of experience and skill. Even in the higer cost private/smaller places, they don't always make the best glasses, especially if they use a lab that isn't the best.

It's like anything we use I guess, it's hard to find the best or something we are really happy with.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me.  I went to a new place because I was told the place I was going to was cheep and didn't have good lenses, and Dr.s (big box store). So after going to this new place, picking out my frames, coating, exam and progressives the total cost was $ 750.00. So I guess you got a good deal.

Honored Contributor

I got a new set of glasses and new set of sunglasses two weeks ago. Each one was almost $500. I was shocked. The frames were not a designer brand either

Not what I expected to pay. I went to a large chain and fell for their ads. It was no cheaper than my eye Doctor's office. I am sticking with my eye Doctor from now on.

Honored Contributor

That's about par for the course. One year my husband gets a pair, I get one the next. That way, we're keeping our eyes checked. It is expensive.

Honored Contributor

Seems right and that's for a no frills pair.

Honored Contributor

With all the extras I get with my glasses...Varilux, thinner lenses, coating, tinted, etc., etc., plus new frames, my last pair cost about $1,000.  Fortunately, my prescription doesn't seem to change very often, so a new pair normally last me 3-4 years or more.  I know the optician who fills my prescription is one of the more expensive ones in the area.  However, in all the years I've been going to him for new glasses, I have yet to have to go back for any adjustments whatsoever.  Perfect every time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just got a vision test

[ Edited ]

I am always careful when buying glasses that they don't add any coatings etc because it makes them expensive quickly. I just ordered a new pair - progressive lenses, transitions - you really need those here in Florida, tortoise shell plastic frames totalled at $387.My insurance will pay for the basic lens I have to pay for the progressive ,the transitions and the frames which will be around $310.The insurance also paid for the exam 100%.

Honored Contributor

I agree, the price you paid was about par.  I've paid up to $100 more and I have bi-focals that blend into the lens (no line), my eyes have to have the auto darkening and I get the Cristal (I wore contacts for over 20 years and have to have the lenses as clear as possible and as scratch resistant as possible....

I also have a problem with most of the frames offered (where I am)....  as they offer the ever popular dark plastic huge lenses and they look awful on me (...here comes the dark frames with the blonde lady behind them).... and I have problems with the metals they use for frames in that they will break me out (alloy jewelry allergy).... so it's a challenge.  I did find a pair of frames I'm happy with, plastic with a more delicate look and a soft reddish/tortoise color being predominant so I'm likely to keep the frames as long as I can...

I have to go for my test in a few weeks....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*