Super Contributor

Just found Health on my phone

I am not a techie or anything close to that. But I read a lot and just came across something that really woke me up.  I'm in my 80's and very sedentary, mostly from reading, etc. I know getting in steps a day is a signifiant health factor but have just not pushed myself and don't want a Fitbit because I figure I probably couldn't figure it out.

But read something today that gave me a new direction--the health button on my phone will track my steps (if I carry it in my pocket when i am moving.) I decided to get on board with that as I can cope with the technology of it. Hoping for some good results.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

Re: Just found Health on my phone

That's interesting, thank you for sharing.   Is your phone IOS or Android, and what is the Health app called?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr 

I knwo ther is one on the I phone not sure about an Android, my apple watch syncs to the phone 

@ValuSkr wrote:

That's interesting, thank you for sharing.   Is your phone IOS or Android, and what is the Health app called?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeasonedCitizen  Great idea and good for you! Thanks for sharing. BTW, your nickname is cute. 🙂

P.S. You're more "techie" than you give yourself credit! 👍

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox   Thank you for this.  It sounds like I would need an Apple watch to use this app that counts steps?  [I don't have an Apple watch or iPhone, but am asking for a friend who has the latter but not the former.]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

On an iPhone, the default (built in Apple app that cannot be deleted) Health app is called Health and is a white icon with a red heart in the upper right quadrant.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@I am still oxox   Thank you for this.  It sounds like I would need an Apple watch to use this app that counts steps?  [I don't have an Apple watch or iPhone, but am asking for a friend who has the latter but not the former.]

You do not need an Apple watch to count steps with an iPhone. I do not own an Apple watch and the default Health app (and others I've downloaded) all count my steps as long as I'm carrying my phone. It's very easy.

Now that I'm working from home and wearing mostly leggings without pockets, so I leave my phone on my desk most of the day and it doesn't track my steps. If I want my steps tracked under these conditions, a smart watch like a FitBit or an Apple iPhone will track when I'm not carrying my phone. The FitBit doesn't sync with the Health app on it's own, so I have a third party app to move data from my FitBit app to my Health app.

Super Contributor

@Alison Wonderland -thanks for answering. I thought I have an IPhone but was't sure.