Honored Contributor

Just a reminder

[ Edited ]

Went to doc yesterday.  I received my pneumonia shot which lasts five years.  It is important for me because I can't take a flu shot due to my autoimmune diseases.  Pneumonia is usually the reason an elderly person dies from the flu.

There are no side effects from a pneumonia shot.

ETA:  Boy, I was sure wrong about that!!  I now have an infection from the shot!!  I wrote about it here in a separate post.

This is why I hate meds!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

My doctor wouldn't give me a pneumonia shot - she said I have no underlying health issues and don't need one. 

Honored Contributor

hoosieroriginal wrote:

My doctor wouldn't give me a pneumonia shot - she said I have no underlying health issues and don't need one. 

That sounds reasonable.  I have RA and other autoimmune issues and also old age.  I would probably not survive a bad flu attack.  That's why I get the pneumonia vaccine.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I once had a pneumonia shot.  That was some 30 years ago and back then they said it was good for 10 years.

I have to say - I used to get pneumonia every year and I have not once gotten pneumonia since I had that shot decades ago.

They must have changed it up if it's only a 5-year shot now.  But the one I had back then must have done the trick!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Just a reminder

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

Went to doc yesterday.  I received my pneumonia shot which lasts five years.  It is important for me because I can't take a flu shot due to my autoimmune diseases.  Pneumonia is usually the reason an elderly person dies from the flu.

@LilacTree

Hello to you. I too believe your post is very important to many that read this forum. I have had 2 bouts with, what I will call, regular pneumonia. Adding to that, also the often deadly, to elder people, Aspiration pneumonia, 2 episodes of deadly lung blood clots(PE), my lungs are definitely scarred.

I got my first shot in 2002 and have gotten one each 5 years since. Plan to follow this same procedure for as long as I am around, and suggest everyone ask their doctors if for them it might be a wise thing to do.

Best to you and your family,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I get flu shots every year. I had my first pnemonia vaccine last year, the Prevnar one. Interestingly, I just saw my new doctor (I moved) a week ago, told him that, and he verified to me that I still needed the Pneumovax vaccine - but then didn't offer it to me. Say what?

I had no side effects from the Prevnar, and never have had side effects from regular flu shots, but boy howdy, I did from the senior "quadruple dose" flu shot the one time I had it. Nasty. Almost as bad as the tetanus shot reaction (and my tetanus reaction is more extreme than most). I'll stick with regular flu shots from now on.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@LilacTree

Hello to you. I too believe your post is very important to many that read this forum. I have had 2 bouts with, what I will call, regular pneumonia. Adding to that, also the often deadly, to elder people, Aspiration pneumonia, 2 episodes of deadly lung blood clots(PE), my lungs are definitely scarred.

I got my first shot in 2002 and have gotten one each 5 years since. Plan to follow this same procedure for as long as I am around, and suggest everyone ask their doctors if for them it might be a wise thing to do.

Best to you and your family,

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

You're a sweetheart, John.  ~~~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I get flu shots every year. I had my first pnemonia vaccine last year, the Prevnar one. Interestingly, I just saw my new doctor (I moved) a week ago, told him that, and he verified to me that I still needed the Pneumovax vaccine - but then didn't offer it to me. Say what?

I had no side effects from the Prevnar, and never have had side effects from regular flu shots, but boy howdy, I did from the senior "quadruple dose" flu shot the one time I had it. Nasty. Almost as bad as the tetanus shot reaction (and my tetanus reaction is more extreme than most). I'll stick with regular flu shots from now on.

@Moonchilde, Hello, I am curious to know more about your reaction to the tetanus shot you once had.   Years ago when I had my first tetanus shot, not long afterwards I had a breakout of hives for almost a year.  I have always wondered if the hives were a reaction to that tetanus vacine.  I will never forget that year, UGLY!

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Moonchilde, Hello, I am curious to know more about your reaction to the tetanus shot you once had.   Years ago when I had my first tetanus shot, not long afterwards I had a breakout of hives for almost a year.  I have always wondered if the hives were a reaction to that tetanus vacine.  I will never forget that year, UGLY!

@Big Sister, I had the "typical" site reaction but more severe. The injection site reddened to the size of a quarter, was swollen about 1/8" high, and the heat from it melted ice cubes quickly. Also, I could hardly move my arm. Redness and pain and sore arm are typical, but according to the doctors I worked with, my reaction was definitely more than typical.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde  Thank you so much for explaining your reaction to the Tetanus vacine.  That sounds terrible.