Honored Contributor

Re: Just a Reminder That Mammograms Can Cause Cancer

Overall, I would rather risk the very slight chance my mammo will hurt me than the huge chance I have to detect a cancer early when it's easy to take care of.  I'm old enough to remember when a breast cancer diagnosis was practically a death sentence.  Those were terrible days. 

Absolutely every thing we do has some kind of risk involved whether it's the aspirin or something newer and stronger, a walk across the street, the glass of wine you swallow daily, etc.  And if you do nothing because you're not willing to take any risks --you're at risk of doing nothing and dying early because of the depression brought on by doing nothing.

I'm not in favor of risking all without thinking, but I'm glad I live in this medical age and not  even the recent age of my parents.  More than half of the 13 children represented in their families died before retirement age --and only one of those deaths was accidental.  All the rest would have most likely lived another 10+ years today.

Honored Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

I said preventive and some times I say preventative.  Simple yet trivial..  my thought I think it's being too picky..

Thank you orangegarnet. Both words are used ABSOLUTELY CORRECTLY and interchangeably.

I agree with YOU!

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I'm more concerned about all of the Round Up in my food that's getting into my body that's probably causing cancer.

Radiation from mammography is the least of my concerns.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I get thermography done. I used to get mammos, but they always said my breast tissue is so dense, they can't see anything.

I keep wanting to check into these since EVERY Mammo they ALWAYS follow up with a Ultrasound because my breast are so very dense.

Do you have the Thermography on your whole body or breast tissue only?

I know insurance doesn't cover this and they should as it does not involve ANY radiation.

Honored Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

I'm one that doesn't believe they cause cancer. You are only receiving a teeny weeny amount of radiation from a mamogram. I am a beast cancer survivor and I go for my yearly mamogram and I'm fine. It's been 6 years now that i am cancer free. Breast cancer does run in my family and I believe that and my extremely stressful life is what contributed to my cells mutated into what they shouldn't have.

Radiation is cumulative so if you start getting mamos at 40 and live to be 70 or older, that's a lot of radiation. No honest doc will tell you there is no risk , but in my opinion the benefit out weighs the risk.

Honored Contributor

After seeing your post. I looked up thermography for breast cancer screening and every article I read said it was not a good substitute for mamograms and had failed to detect 50% of malignant tumors. I read articles from cancer.org,breastcancer.orfg and USA today/health.

I was interested too as many women have dense tissue and undergo ultrasounds, biopsies, etc. But there are updated mamograms-I usually get a "script" from the primary care for "diagnostic mamogram" and notifying them that there is fibrocystic breast tissue so they will be aware.

I've read that "digital mamograms" are used to detect cancerous tumors in dense tissue, and there are 3d mamograms which go even further but I read they have twice as much radiation as regular mamograms and are not proven to detect tumors better than regular, and not always covered by insurance.

For me, I just keep reading and don't take anyone's word for granted but do my own research before making a decision

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

My wonderful husband found this for everyone to read...

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/11/how_much_radiation_do_you_get_from...

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

That's pure foolishness and no woman in her right mind should listen to it.  Who actually believes that Google is holder of all the valid information in the universe anyway?  That's either very funny or very sad.  If you don't want mammagrams, don't have them.  That's within your right but don't make up phony baloney reasons for not having them.  Regardless of what you think might have read on Google. 

Valued Contributor

@orangegarnet wrote:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2009/11/how_much_radiation_do_you_get_from...

That info is from 2009, 6 years ago. I'm sure that's not the latest data available!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@embgm wrote:

@orangegarnet wrote:

That info is from 2009, 6 years ago. I'm sure that's not the latest data available!

Then look for more information.. we both were and are involved  with radiation..  I've probably been exposed, same as him, as more a whole lot of people here and won't go into specifics.. Mammography is low dose..  I sure as heck don't glow in the dark.

Radiology Technologists Rule!!!!!!!!!!! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee