Trusted Contributor

Re: Just a Reminder That Mammograms Can Cause Cancer

It it is a woman's choice what she does medically to her body.  To put down the OP for not believing in mammograms is wrong. Everyone can have an opinion.

Interesting that everyone is so into mammograms and finding Cancer AFTER the fact.....how about PREVENTION? 

No one talks about supplementation, lifestyle and diet.  

New Contributor

I've always thought mamograms could cause cancer.  I've never had a mamogram and don't plan on it.  I'm 65.  Yes, doctors try to shame me into having one and saying what if you get cancer.  My response,  mamograms are only good the day they are taken, if they are negative the day they are taken, whose to say cancer won't show up a month away. I also tell them I'll deal with it, if and when I do get cancer.  This is for me and only me. 

Valued Contributor

Wagirl you are correct, but we are coming from a different vantage point from those against mammograms. We have experienced the fear,the surgeries,chemo,radiation and many side effects of all these treatments to save our lives. This past year of my life was spent doing exactly that. We know we are not invincible and are very grateful for  tests and treatments that monitor and keep our illness at bay. The earlier it's detected the better chance we have of survival. You are correct Wagirl if you haven't been through it it is hard to realize how grateful we are that those tests exist. I hope one of these ladies that don't get their annual mammograms is not walking around with breast cancer growing in them right now.  That's not a chance I am willing to take. Em

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I just read on another thread someone gets a regular mammo, digital mammo, and 3-D mammo. That's way too much radiation. Totally unecessary. For all those wishing for a cure for cancer I believe they already have a cure for a lot of cancers. Big Pharma will never release that info. They are in the business to make money. They cannot do that if there are not sick people.

That statement that Big Pharma, is in business to make money, well duh, do you know of a business that's NOT in it for profit?? Here's the thing, if they did have cures for cancer, wouldn't they be A LOT richer??? I know there are millions of us that would pay ANY price for a cure. You can believe whatever you want. But your theory makes no sense whatsoever !

Honored Contributor

@june22 wrote:

It it is a woman's choice what she does medically to her body.  To put down the OP for not believing in mammograms is wrong. Everyone can have an opinion.

Interesting that everyone is so into mammograms and finding Cancer AFTER the fact.....how about PREVENTION? 

@June222

Girl, I'm glad you said this & not me!  I had a little round&around in a current  diabetes thread which eludes to the same idea.   Prevention is so monumentally important.

The OP mentions Mercola...and I always mention a popular plant-based doctor, McDougall.  

These two doctors are polar opposite in their dietary stance, but BOTH agree a normal body weight is imperative (ie waist/hip ratio) for optimum health...and Prevention plays a big part.

Both also say less protein, less soy, more fiber, more exercise....it's not rocket science.  Not just for breast cancer, but diabetes, heart disease, RA or any other ailments the public has 'maintained' by taking a copious amount of medication. 

Illustration I've seen which describes it in a nutshell:  

Needle in the Haystack.  

Yes, the mammogram film shows the needle deep in the foundation of this haystack.  

Now the doctors rip apart the haystack to the foundation with surgery, chemo, radiation...hay flying everywhere!  

Yes, we got the needle!  

But the leftover haystack is destroyed (ie breast/body/immune system).

And there's a REALLY good chance that needle wouldn't been just fine living there for the life of the haystack...nothing would've developed.  

Diet/Lifestyle could've made that haystack stronger & bigger so the needle was protected. 

Honored Contributor

As long as my Doctor recommends it, I will continue to have mine!  In fact I have an appt. for my yrly mammo on Tuesday, the 18th!

Respected Contributor

@embgm wrote:

I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed on Sept. 4th 2014. My cancer was not found with a breast examination but with  my yearly mammogram. It was stage 1 and had not traveled to my lymph nodes. The mammogram saved my life. I am the first in my family to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Had  I not had that annual test and instead put it off a few years I would be walking around now with breast cancer and not even know it. One out of eight women develop breast cancer. Think carefully before skipping your annual mammograms.    Em

Emalyn,

Your post, word for word except for the date, is my story.  I was diagnosed on Nov. 14th, 2007 and remain cancer free going on 8 years now.  The mammogram saved my life!

Honored Contributor

@AkaGoldie wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I just read on another thread someone gets a regular mammo, digital mammo, and 3-D mammo. That's way too much radiation. Totally unecessary. For all those wishing for a cure for cancer I believe they already have a cure for a lot of cancers. Big Pharma will never release that info. They are in the business to make money. They cannot do that if there are not sick people.

That statement that Big Pharma, is in business to make money, well duh, do you know of a business that's NOT in it for profit?? Here's the thing, if they did have cures for cancer, wouldn't they be A LOT richer??? I know there are millions of us that would pay ANY price for a cure. You can believe whatever you want. But your theory makes no sense whatsoever !

I totally agree with @Nightowlz.

Yes, somewhere deep in the bowels of Big Pharma lies the cure for cancer.

More $$$ are made keeping a larger % of the Public MODERATELY sick for the rest of their lives taking pills, medications, surgery, than a few to cure 100% today.

I also believe that's why dairy/beef/pork/egg campaigns are so common...keep the public sick while promoting 'it does a body good'. Not.  Too much money in pills, prescriptions, patents & surgery.  

If this was 1940-50's, we would think anyone saying smoking is dangerous...well, they are just crazy!  Even doctors smoked in their office, at one time.   So using that same logic, yes...someone has the cure.  Indeed, they know. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@june22 wrote:

Thank you, June22, for your defense of my having an opinion and for mentioning prevention.  I believe that it is very important that we each pay close attention to our own bodies and not simply rely on our physicians to know what is best for us.  Unfortunately, many medical school curricula offer very little in nutrition education.  

I, too, find it interesting that so many are advocates of mammograms, particularly annual mammograms, and proclaim that it was a mammogram that saved their lives.  This causes me to wonder if, in some cases, the mammogram actually detected the cancer that was caused by a previous mammogram.  It is so frightening to wonder if something that has been touted as being necessary in the prevention of breast cancer could be harmful. 

ETA:  It appears that many on this thread misunderstood what I initially wrote to begin this thread.  I wrote:  

There are those who don't believe that mammograms can cause cancer, but I am one who believes they can. A quick google search will provide contrasting information on this subject, however, both Consumer's Reports and Dr. Mercola, among others, state that they can cause cancer.

Some recommend having mammograms annually beginning at age 40--others say 50!

Please, for the sake of your loved ones and yourself, be certain that you know the risks before you subject yourself to a/another mammogram. 

In performing a google search for "Can mammograms cause breast cancer," I found that Dr. Mercola and Consumer's Reports were the first two that appeared on the first page of the results (which is the reason that I mentioned them specifically) but I added that they were among others and that there was "contrasting information on this subject."

I concluded with:  be certain that you know the risks before you subject yourself to a/another mammogram.  

I have never said, "Don't ever have one!"

I am saying, "Be informed."

Honored Contributor

I hope those on the fence take the time to research the topic in credible medical journals, versus skipping a mammogram.