Trusted Contributor

Re: Just a Reminder That Mammograms Can Cause Cancer

@MarieIG wrote:

I would not dispute that too much radiation can cause damage which can increase the risk of developing cancer.

My very first mammogram picked up cancer.

I look forward to screenings which don't harm patients, and even more look forward (probably not in my lifetime tho ) - to the eradication of cancer. 

You were very fortunate, Mariel.  I also look forward to cancer being cured. 

Super Contributor

I am sure there must be some studies showing the number of lives mamograms save vs how many cancer cases it has caused.

Everyone must decide for themselves based on their family history and lifestyle.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anniecamp, you are a perfect example of why everyone should get mammograms. It's everyone's right to decline to do so, but you are playing with fire. There have been such advancements in breast cancer treatments,and the sooner it is discovered, the better. To each his own...

Trusted Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

I'm one that doesn't believe they cause cancer. You are only receiving a teeny weeny amount of radiation from a mamogram. I am a beast cancer survivor and I go for my yearly mamogram and I'm fine. It's been 6 years now that i am cancer free. Breast cancer does run in my family and I believe that and my extremely stressful life is what contributed to my cells mutated into what they shouldn't have.

Gulf Coast Girl, I am so happy for you that you survived breast cancer and that you are free of it!  I pray that this continues for you.

Trusted Contributor

I have had two friends, one is dead, who had their yearly mammo and within 5 mos or so, had a lump.    One died, one had a double mastectomy.

I've had yearly mammos since I was 30 because I have "dense" breasts.  They'll tell you to get checked more often with dense breasts.   BS

When your breasts are smashed down to paper, cells will move around and change.    Some of the newer digital mammos are "safer" but most of mine were done with the X-ray type that aren't.   So, as a 50 year old, I've already had 20+ years of mammos.   I haven't had one in awhile.  If I get cancer, I have no family and no support to go through it.  I'd rather die than have to go through that type of thing all by myself with no one for support or help.    

No one should have to go through that alone.

Contributor

I so disagree with the OP's post.  I had breast exams by two physicans that were negative just prior to my last mammo.  Had I not had the mammo I would probably not have discovered  I had cancer until it had become Stage IV and most likely terminal instead of my Stage 1 easily manageable current situation. 

I do agree with the post about Mercola being a quack! 

Valued Contributor

I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed on Sept. 4th 2014. My cancer was not found with a breast examination but with  my yearly mammogram. It was stage 1 and had not traveled to my lymph nodes. The mammogram saved my life. I am the first in my family to be diagnosed with breast cancer. Had  I not had that annual test and instead put it off a few years I would be walking around now with breast cancer and not even know it. One out of eight women develop breast cancer. Think carefully before skipping your annual mammograms.    Em

Honored Contributor

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

Please back up these claims with objective, peer-reviewed evidence.  Until then, makig cclaims about magazine articles or claims from a quack website run by a man interested in getting rich off of various schemes, remedies, and supplements is nothing but blathering and meaningless.

Making such claims without being able to prove it ultimately may disuade people from getting a neeed medical test and delay finding an issue. 

I pray people are smart enough to get advice from qualified medical personnel, but alas, it appears that P.T. Barnum was correct.

There you go again, KYToby and this is the 2nd. time today that I have to ask you, "Did you even read what I wrote"?  The first time was in my thread, Quick Question for QVC--#8.  I wrote that mammograms CAN (not DO!) cause cancer.  There are many links to peer-reviewed sources when googled.  Can you prove that my so called "claim" is false??

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I'm so with you 'sister'.  I'm well well well over 50 years of age and have never had a mammogram - to the disgust of several doctors I've had over the years.  Just last week my doc brought it up again...and I replied in front of his nurse - - No, I don't believe in them.   The young nurse was so taken back by my answer - she let out a sound.

However, IF you have a family history of this - or suspect something isn't right....then run to the doctor - don't walk.  But to be feed this pressure 'you must have a mammogram at this age or that'...is not my belief pattern.

Thanks for your posting!   More women should think for themselves.

Thank you for your comments, FYHunt.  I completely agree with you... that if someone has a family history of breast cancer or suspects that something isn't right, s/he should run to the doctor, and that more women should think for themselves.