Honored Contributor

Just WhenI think I’ve had my fill of Covid……

[ Edited ]

.....the THYROID REPLACEMENT RECALL!!

Since Armour Thyroid works REALLY WELL for me, I've taken TWIN HITS in the last couple weeks.

First, I was taking THE GENERIC for Armour. Me bad, I hadn't checked my prescription bottles because I ASSUMED that I'd been taking ARMOUR. 

THEN, the GENERIC was RECALLED! Lower than indicated potency! 

Some of us CAN take generics with no problem at all. In this case, NOT ME, even at full strength.

So do I feel as though I've been dragged behind a truck because I'm a Covid survivor OR because my Thyroid treatment has been failing me for hmmm, years maybe?

No one to blame but myself but I sure wish I could buy a Lottery Ticket that would pay off today.

PLEASE, check your generics folks. Don't be ME!

Honored Contributor

Re: Just WhenI think I’ve had my fill of Covid……

@violann 

So sorry!  I know how you feel!  I take NP.

I was feeling lousy for 2 months...come to find out AFTER I had consumed the pills...they were recalled for under potency as well...

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@violann 

I was feeling lousy for 2 months...come to find out AFTER I had consumed the pills...they were recalled for under potency as well...

@RespectLife, I was taking NP thyroid too, this is the 4th recall in the last 3 or 4 years. Last year it was recalled for being too strong, I ended up in the ER because of it, this year for not being strong enough. 

After these numerous recalls, I've had enough. First the 1st time ever, I went to an endocrinologist for my thyroid issues. (I've been going to "regular" doctors for treatment, my integrative doctor referred me to an endocrinologist) I also take liothyronine ( generic of Cytomel) I told her that I wanted to do the T4 & T3 medications separately, so she put me on 125 mcgs of Levoxyl once daily, plus I take 5 mcgs of liothyronine 3 times a day. I go for my first labs on this new treatment next week. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

Since Armour Thyroid works REALLY WELL for me, I've taken TWIN HITS in the last couple weeks.

First, I was taking THE GENERIC for Armour. Me bad, I hadn't checked my prescription bottles because I ASSUMED that I'd been taking ARMOUR. 

Some of us CAN take generics with no problem at all. In this case, NOT ME, even at full strength.

So do I feel as though I've been dragged behind a truck because I'm a Covid survivor OR because my Thyroid treatment has been failing me for hmmm, years maybe?

No one to blame but myself but I sure wish I could buy a Lottery Ticket that would pay off today.

@violann, probably both. You have lingering effects from Covid, which you being undermedicated more than likely exacerbates.

Esteemed Contributor

What does Covid have to do with your medication being recalled?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Boy, do you ever have my sympathy! I'm currently trying to work my way through my medical group to get a prescription refilled and I'm about to scream with frustration! I feel your pain! I hope things get better for you.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

While I am not the OP, I believe what she means is that some of the illness and lingering effects of Covid (exhaustion, aches etc) are the same/similar to an underactive thyroid.

I think she is feeling a double whammy!

When my meds were under potency, (thus the recall) I had very similar problems.  I tested 2x for Covid to be sure it wasn't that.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@violann 

@RespectLife, I was taking NP thyroid too, this is the 4th recall in the last 3 or 4 years. Last year it was recalled for being too strong, I ended up in the ER because of it, this year for not being strong enough. 

After these numerous recalls, I've had enough. First the 1st time ever, I went to an endocrinologist for my thyroid issues. (I've been going to "regular" doctors for treatment, my integrative doctor referred me to an endocrinologist) I also take liothyronine ( generic of Cytomel) I told her that I wanted to do the T4 & T3 medications separately, so she put me on 125 mcgs of Levoxyl once daily, plus I take 5 mcgs of liothyronine 3 times a day. I go for my first labs on this new treatment next week. 

@sgraham30 

Thank you so much for sharing.  I didn't even know you could treat separately.  I am going to discuss this with my doctor.

I am seeing my Gyno.  My PC doesn't have background in thryoid, while my Gyno is a 'whole woman' physician.

I could not get an Endo to treat me...not taking new patients.  However, my gyno can insist on a referral if we have gone as far as we can together.  She said they would probably take me on then.

My last blood tests were SO bad.  I have Hashimoto and my antibodies were off the charts.

Doc wanted to wait until my next blood work, (Sat) b4 she upped the meds.

She wants to be sure the bad results were because of the recall and me taking under potentcy for 2 mons.  This was my second recall for under.

Gosh, I wish you best of luck with this new treatment...and if you wouln't mind...let us know how this new regime worked for you!

Thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

While I am not the OP, I believe what she means is that some of the illness and lingering effects of Covid (exhaustion, aches etc) are the same/similar to an underactive thyroid.

I think she is feeling a double whammy!

When my meds were under potency, (thus the recall) I had very similar problems.  I tested 2x for Covid to be sure it wasn't that.

So what she is experiencing could have absolutely nothing to do with Covid, yet that is what she led with....OK

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I have been on Synthroid since 1980: never recalled.  My PCP stipulates on my RX " no generic / no substitution ".

M y blood work, as far as thyroid goes, has been fine.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill