Honored Contributor

Re: Juicer just bit the dust....

@phoenixbrd @magicmoodz  I did follow the Fasting Summit.  I was going to post about it before it started but I didn't think it would hold much interest.  I have to say I wasn't impressed by a lot of it but it did bring forth and confirm a lot of the IF I am currently doing and the benefits I am seeing after 7-8 months.  There were a few really good interviews on some interesting fasting topics.

@magicmoodz  To kind of sum up what they touched on, fasting helps the body regenerate itself (autophagy) which in turn decreases inflammation (one of the main contributers to many chronic diseases), detoxes, helps with weight loss, clears gut issues, increases mental clarity, corrects hormone imbalance, metabolism, etc...

If you want to start, they really pushed intermittent fasting (IF) which is how I and most of them live.  The easiest is 12-12 which means if you stop eating at 8pm, you don't start again until 8am the next day.   They also recommend stopping 3 hours before bedtime whatever that is so your body has time to digest the last meal.  Most of your down time is overnight while sleeping.

The gold standard where you really start to reap every benefit of IF and autophagy is 16-8.  That means an 8 hour eating window per day.  I do this and I eat between 10am-6pm.  You set whatever you would like it to be.

Obviously if you go longer on a true fast for more than a day or two, they recommend that with a doctor's oversight to make sure you are staying hydrated as well as some other possible concerns.  Some of them actually skip a day and do a 24 hour fasting day per week along with the IF.  I don't find I need to do that or want to do that but it was another method that some people find helpful.     

And of course, this is all done with a primarily plant based diet. Eating junk food for your 8 or 12 hours is not going to get you anywhere.  Healthful foods when you do eat which is primarily no sugar, whole grains if you eat them, and lots of vegetables.  Any meat should be grass fed and/or pasture raised.  

The science behind this is when you let your body rest and regenerate, which it can not do when it is constantly being called to breakdown food, it does so in earnest during the fasting time and you get a healthier better version of you from the inside out.   

I hope this helps.  I'd be interested to know if you try it, how it works for you.  When I first did it last summer after getting some genetic testing done, I saw a pretty immediate change in my body and now I think even my skin and hair are better than they have been in years. 

One last thing, I am really not hungry like you think you would be.  I may have some cravings when I wake up and have a few hours to go before 10am but you can drink water, tea, coffee (black if you can) while you are on off eating hours which helps a lot. 

Try and keep the beverages to non or low calorie so you don't kick on the digestive system.   Oh and break the fast with lemon water if you can.  The lemon is a natural cleansing agent for the body so it is a good starter right before you start feeding yourself again.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  I agree with a lot of your observations.  However, I was expecting this as the person who generated this docuseries is Keto and I'm not a fan.  I do respect Dr. Fung and study his research on IF, autophagy, and he helps a lot of type 2 diabetics get off of insulin.  But I don't subscribe to high fat Keto, as long term there are serious health consequences.

Just a couple of comments:  if you are looking for healing and want the best results of autophagy...you might want to fast for 4-5 days.  The peak for autophagy is at day three.  Also, your hunger dissipates generally around day three as it takes this long for your hunger hormone to adjust to the fast.  When you do longer fasts, you don't suffer from hunger, but if you eat a small amount the hunger hormone will kick in.  That is why it generally takes more discipline to do IF than fasting.  But your body will adjust to the IF schedule and it is a great healthy way of life.

There is a free docuseries that you might want to check out: Live Vegan Vibrantly and Will Tuttle will be speaking.  He wrote the World Peace Diet and I've taken workshops with him in the past.  I'm really looking forward to his presentation tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14

Thank you for your comprehensive comments on IF. It sounds if you are having great success in your endeavors. Sadly I have not shared your success. I am an early riser (3:45 am) and I think I am conditioned to eat food before noon--otherwise I start gnawing on my knuckles.😊

I do believe we should strive for autophagy, even though I am new to the concept and admittedly know very little. We are educated to think in terms of taking care of vital organs or joints or worse how to live once a disease has been diagnosed, not what we can do to maintain healthy cells to stave off those conditions.

I am sort of an all or nothing kind of person so I have been considering a water fast, but rather than set myself up for failure I think I would do better juicing. I started eating WFPB last February and think since it has been almost a year this would be a good time to step up my game with a fast.

Thank you for your well wishes!

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you for your comments. I understand when you say the hunger hormone kicks in when we introduce small amounts of food. When I first started WFPB I was only eating 475-550 calories a day. I wasn't hungry per se, but I did sometimes suffer feeling light-headed.

I have been reading about a 40-day fast and don't know if I have the stamina (and discipline) to commit. 40 days seems drastic and I'm not sure what effects a fast that long would have on my body.

Again, thank you for sharing your insight and knowledge.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd  Thank you for the extra resources.  I will check them out. 

I would not do a multiday fast for myself.  I don't have the weight to lose and I personally don't think not nourishing yourself for that amount of time is a good avenue to take unless you are detoxing from a horrible diet and kickstarting a more consistent eating pattern.  I will stick with IF for myself but I know a lot of the experts in the summit swore by it.  It's just not for me.

@magicmoodz  I am an early riser too.  I get up around 4am to hit the gym for 5am classes.  You pick the hours you want to eat and fast in so don't let that scare you away from it.  If your eating window is 4am to noon, that's what it is.  There is no set time except for stopping three hours or so before bedtime.

And please consult with a doctor before you do a 40 day fast.  I think you'll be hard pressed to find any legitimate medical person who would sanction that.  A liquid diet perhaps of soups and broths and other liquid nutrition but a full on 40 day fast would be detrimental to anyone's health. 

The advice from most of the people in those talks was start small and then increase from there.  None of them went past recommending several days and that was a rare occasion that usually happened when they were busy or traveling. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

Thank you for circling back and offering your opinion and suggestions. 

I am quite sure I would never last on a 40 day fast but I am fascinated reading peoples' experiences. I view it as a somewhat spiritual journey of discipline and sacrifice. 

I am emotionally ready to start tomorrow (I know bad timing with the Super Bowl) but have not set an end date. I don't want to lose too much body weight and living in Minneapolis with these frigid temps we all need a little extra to keep us warm.😉

Honored Contributor

A 40-day water fast wouldn’t be something you do at home.

It would be at a dedicated fasting center with medical supervision.

Many reasons people do an extended fast is for medical outcomes.

If dealing with a dire medical diagnosis (cancer, autoimmune,

heart disease, type2 diabetes, etc) or psychological reasons

(food addiction, etc), it’s to your advantage to calm the body down

and take the stress of food processing & eliminate inflammation. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz  Fasting is a very effective and ancient technique.  However, there is no reason to start with a 40 day fast -especially a water fast (unless you are seriously ill and seeking healing through autophagy and apoptosis...then I'd probably be at True North under MD supervision like Jon from iThrive did to address his obesity/diabetes).  Yes, I've done 40 day fasts, but I didn't start there.   Why not start with one day a week and continue with a whole foods plant based program.  Then as you feel more comfortable with the process, you can gradually increase your fasting if you desire or you can IF.  

There are specific reasons why I fast and it is really important to understand the process and your goals.  You can go far towards  a healthy lifestyle just eating LFWFPB and there is no need to restrict your calories  when eating a clean plant based program - in fact low caloric intake can set you up for a destroyed metabolism (fasting is different...that's another post). What and when you eat is critical.  WFPB is a great life,  I love that I don't count calories and I am so happy to enjoy yummy healthy food as well as knowing that I am not supporting violence and suffering for other sentient beings! 

Are you watching Live Vegan Vibrantly? 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom

I could never, ever last 40 days, nor would I want to. But I do find it fascinating that people can and do. 

I am kind of an all in person so I am actually excited and mentally prepared  to start a fast tomorrow. However long I can stick with it will be an accomplishment nonetheless.

And speaking of accomplishments, I gave up coffee 3 weeks ago. After two weeks of brutal headaches, I am happy I didn't cave.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz

That’s GREAT! 

You’ve given me incentive to quit Starbucks.

I only have a couple $ on my card..and I’m down to 2x week,

so the transition should be easy. =:0

Good luck with your fast!  Report back!