Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

Sounds like rheumatoid arthritis, being both sides are affected.. Ask for a sed rate blood test, that  tells you if you have it or not. I had RA 15 years ago and was in bad shape, went to an RA DR and finally got myself till I was able to function.Also watch your meds, most start stomach trouble.

I'm not trying to scare you, but this is a very bad thing to have and you must listen to your Dr.Last month I felt both wrist getting sore and went immediately for a sed rate blood test, It's to be around 30, and mine was 60, so I used my old wrists bands and tried to take it easy. I sencerly hope you don't have this, but when you said both wrist hurt, that's sent up a flag to me.

That'show mine usually starts, but thank goodness it has never hit me like the first time. and if your rate is up, please go to a rheumatologist, they know how to treat you, most Drs. don't. Hope I have helped you make some decisions, to be on the safe side.My Dr. was in Pittsburgh,Pa., 25 miles from here, he really helped me over 3 years, then moved to Oregon, so I would have to find a new one if it got bad again.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I would listen to my doctor and not anyone else without a medical degree. JMO

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

I need to start taking my D3 again.  I have been having more stiffness and aches lately.  I've been blaming it on the rapid changes in barometric pressure; never thought about it being low Vitamin D.  I know my levels are low.    On my way to the chiropractor now.  That seems to help with the stiffness and loosing spasms.

@KathyM23 - makes a huge difference to me - course, I get quite a bit of sun everyday.  Going to have my D3 levels checked at my physical next week - anxious to see what they say. 

Respected Contributor

If it turns out to be RA, this might be some good news, as long as you're a pescatarian or an omnivore:

"Higher fish consumption linked to lower RA disease activity"

https://www.healio.com/rheumatology/rheumatoid-arthritis/news/online/%7Bd2dd385b-fe1f-462e-b79d-906a...

Honored Contributor

I suppose Celebrex is ok in the short term.  I don't know any doctors who prescribe Celebrex anymore due to cardiovasular, kidney and liver damage risks that can come on suddenly with no warning when the patient is taking the recommended dose.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

Sounds like rheumatoid arthritis, being both sides are affected.. Ask for a sed rate blood test, that  tells you if you have it or not. I had RA 15 years ago and was in bad shape, went to an RA DR and finally got myself till I was able to function.Also watch your meds, most start stomach trouble. I'm not trying to scare you, but this is a very bad thing to have and you must listen to your Dr.Last month I felt both wrist getting sore and went immediately for a sed rate blood test, It's to be around 30, and mine was 60, so I used my old wrists bands and tried to take it easy. I sencerly hope you don't have this, but when you said both wrist hurt, that's sent up a flag to me. That's how mine usually starts, but thank goodness it has never hit me like the first time. and if your rate is up, please go to a rheumatologist, they know how to treat you, most Drs. don't. Hope I have helped you make some decisions, to be on the safe side.My Dr. was in Pittsburgh,Pa., 25 miles from here, he really helped me over 3 years, then moved to Oregon, so I would have to find a new one if it got bad again.

@HLP

The labs for RA are:  C-Reactive Protein (CRP), RF (rheumatoid factor), sed rate, and most important, Anti-CCP.  All four will have markers if you have rheumatoid arthritis, the most important of which is the anti-CCP. 

It can seem to come on very quickly, but it sometimes lingers in the background before it shows its ugly self.  I think I had it several years before it was diagnosed, but when it hit, it hit hard.

I would be interested to know the nature of your RA (you obviously go into long periods of remission) and what your treatment has been.  Of course, it is up to you to reveal that or not.

Good luck to @hondagirl.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I have been dealing with PHN left from Shingles. I started using infrared heat massasge. I also bought the DPL Flex XL from HSN. It's Infrared Light Therapy which is different then the heat. It is really helping with my pain. It also works for joints so you could give it a try. They do make a glove for the hands. I know it's a little expensive but how much would you pay for pain relief? For me I would pay quite a bit. I found a larger infrared back pad for the whole back but it's almost $600. I guess some Ins will pay for it so I'm going to see if ours will cover any of it.