Honored Contributor

Johnny Rehab? Johnny Manziel enters treatment center

I'm sure Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner, is breathing a sigh of relief he didn't pick up this draft pick. $8 Million Dollar Investment....wow. Hope treatment works...only 22...hope he doesn't mess this up.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel entered treatment on Wednesday with the goal of being a "better family member, friend and teammate," according to his publicist who released a statement via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The nature of Manziel's treatment hasn't been specified, although the decision to enter treatment was not related to the quarterback's life on the football field. The full statement from Manziel's publicist, Denise Michaels, was tweeted by Cabot on Monday morning:

"Brad Beckworth, friend and advisor to Manziel and his family, has confirmed that Johnny entered treatment on Wednesday. Johnny knows there are areas in which he needs to improve in order to be a better family member, friend and teammate and he thought the off-season was the right time to take this step. On behalf of Johnny and his family, we're asking for privacy until he rejoins the team in Cleveland."

Browns general manager Ray Farmer also released a statement promising support for Manziel, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN:

"We respect Johnny's initiative in this decision and will fully support him throughout this process. Our players' health and well-being will always be of the utmost importance to the Cleveland Browns. We continually strive to create a supportive environment and provide the appropriate resources, with our foremost focus being on the individual and not just the football player. Johnny's privacy will be respected by us during this very important period and we hope that others will do the same."

Manziel, 22, has developed a reputation for his partying lifestyle since winning the Heisman Trophy following his freshman season at Texas A&M in 2012. He was selected in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, but finished his rookie season without a touchdown pass and two interceptions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Johnny Rehab? Johnny Manziel enters treatment center

Wish I knew more. Guess I just thought he was a great football player with no problems that would require rehab. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Honored Contributor

fame and fortune went to his head.

many young people who come "into money" lots of it, just lose reality. they have no idea what to do next.

Honored Contributor

I'm afraid the odds are not in his favor, most relapse within a short time. Once again fame and money= disaster.

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 viva923 said:

fame and fortune went to his head.

many young people who come "into money" lots of it, just lose reality. they have no idea what to do next.

He's had a history of alcohol/anger issues even before college. His family is probably not the best influence...they're riddled w/ "wheel's off" behavior.

Behavior like this has deep, deep roots...he probably had drinking/anger issues waaay back in high school...which wasn't that long ago. Something like this doesn't happen overnight.

Trusted Contributor

The problems started in college. An obnoxious entitled party-boy who let the early college success get to his head. And carried that "awesome" attitude straight to the NFL.

As someone who has lived in the Cleveland area her entire life I'll say that since coming back in 1999 the Browns don't know how to draft a quarterback to save the team. And if they do wind up with someone with real potential, they refuse to let him develop, put crazy exceptions on him, and ultimately kill his career (Tim Couch).

Super Contributor

Can't stand him. He is the poster child for how not to behave as a young man who has been given the chance of a lifetime.

I hope we've seen the last of him. The last thing the NFL needs is another jerk.

Valued Contributor

At least he has recognized that he has problems and made a start on fixing them. I wish him the best and much success on and off the field.
Respected Contributor

I hope he gets the help and treatment that he needs to guide him toward his very bright future. No one knows the pitfalls that these "celebrity" football players encounter, fame, women, booze, pills, and youth. It must be very heady to see yourself splashed all over the news/headlines. No news is good news sometime. Everyone deserves a second chance. I look forward to seeing his recovery!!

Respected Contributor

I've never cared for him either but I do hope he can get better.