Honored Contributor

Re: Joaquin Phoenix response to Golden Globes press reporters about the menu

[ Edited ]

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@sidsmom 

Hi, you surely put up with alot of snark and just plain rudeness here. I don't understand it. If someone isn't interested in the subject, move on. 

I mean seriously - hey did you hear Burger King came out with a plant based burger...oh nevermind. 

@LoveMyBaby 

Pssst....not sure why this response was warranted.

I agree with your original post.

And yes, I did hear about Burger Kind coming out with a plant based burger. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@sidsmom 

Hi, you surely put up with alot of snark and just plain rudeness here. I don't understand it. If someone isn't interested in the subject, move on. 

I mean seriously - hey did you hear Burger King came out with a plant based burger...oh nevermind. 

@LoveMyBaby 

@sidsmom 

That sentence not directed towards you...(others who arent into this subject at all, but want to attack. 

Yes, they have it in MI, and they seem to be getting good reviews. 👍🏼

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@sidsmom 

@LoveMyBaby 

@sidsmom 

That sentence not directed towards you...(others who arent into this subject at all, but want to attack. 

Yes, they have it in MI, and they seem to be getting good reviews. 👍🏼

@LoveMyBaby 

OK...we're cool🌼

If a small change to a dinner plate can make a big difference, I'm in.

Every little bit helps.  I'm reading the replies in the Australian post.

So sad.
I'm beginning to see lots of fundraisers & help being sent their way.

Thanks for your posts.

Trusted Contributor

Bunch of Hollywood weirdos.  Would not live my life by what they say.

Esteemed Contributor

No meat but the booze was flowing.

Respected Contributor

Climate has been changing since time immemorial. Moreover, many have had it up to their ding-dongs with the "[insert green initiative] is for thee, and not for me" attitude (and lifestyles) espoused by some of the biggest proponents of food/packaging/clothing restrictions--the hypocrites in the entertainment industry.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I don’t think any meat-eaters we’re harmed by having one vegan meal at an event. 😉

@bikerbabe   Of course not.

However, that isn't the issue.  The issue is the hypocrisy.

You know as well as anybody here that with the elite it is always "Do as we say, not as we do".

People who have cared for the environment (raises hand here) for decades do not need the newbies who contribute far more carbon footprints than we peons do not need to keep reading about private jets, wine and dine vacations around the globe under the guise of being environmentalists-because they are not.

THAT is what makes people upset with them; so big deal. A fake scallop on a bed of risotto.

After that it's back to the same ol' same ol'.  If they truly want to change the world, then they need first to change themselves.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Joaquin Phoenix has been involved in social activism for a long time, and has also been an advocate for animals for a long time as well.

I see no reason for the derision towards him.  Just makes the critics look small and petty.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

One thing is for sure is that is it isn't all about the facts and is sometimes ALL about the political side of the issue.

Funny how the people who are squawking about 'political'

are the first ones mentioning political.🙄�

Climate is worldwide & bipartisan. 

Anyone denying this is not paying attention.

Read. Listen. Learn. 

@sidsmom Yes.  It is worldwide, affects all the planet at different times, and has more causes than anyone knows.  Billions of years of climate change.  Thousands of years are a blip on the radar of climate change.

There are lots of opinions, lots of theories, and some will prove right or wrong but probably not in our lifetime.  Climate cannot be quantified in human lifetimes.  Weather can, but not climate.  We aren't a heartbeat in the life of our planet.

So nobody knows for sure what is happening and why, nobody really knows WHAT is happening and will happen long term.  Yes, read and this is easily found.  

Many of us read, keep up and change our minds, views and thoughts as time goes on and research is carried out.  Some don't.  It's as simple as that. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom I think we need to avoid the 'bipartisan' topic. If I expand on my thoughts, it will be political and get the thread booted.  I think we're both right, it's just a different perspective. 

You're absolutely right!  There's no question that plant based diets offer health benefits.  We've known this since sitting in our hi-chair, or being chased around the house by family begging us to eat our spinach. This was long before all the knowledge we have now. Thankfully, they never had to chase me.  Plants and fruits are my favorite food groups.  

However, if we're looking beyond health, to the environment, we can't necessarily say that plant based diets are healthier for the planet.  Sustainability has to always be considered.  

For example:  "Ultimately, we cannot say that eating a vegan or vegetarian or meat diet is any better for the environment. ... It's not just meat that increase greenhouse gases. Rice -- produced on 163m hectares, around 12% of the global arable area -- has one of the greatest plant carbon footprints because it produces a lot of methane."

There's also a problem with the waste of fruits and veggies.  We waste tremendous amounts of such foods, often minimizing the decreased carbon footprint of avoiding meat products. We, by nature don't waste costly meat products, nearly as much as our fresh foods. 

With the increase in demands for more plant based produce, we also have to worry about the deforestation that may occur to provide them.  We can't live without trees, either.  

So, all I'm saying is, there are so many things to consider, that we have to be very careful  we don't strain at that gnat and swallow the camel.  We need some of the greatest minds across the globe to cooperatively plan ahead for our food sources. 

I think it's a mistake, though, to try to drive meat eaters into a plant based diet. It's likely to be more successful for them to prioritize plants, while enjoying smaller servings of fish, or meat. Anything helps. I've rarely met a person who was scared straight, into a healthier diet, unless they faced death.