Trusted Contributor

Joaquin Phoenix response to Golden Globes press reporters about the menu

I am a fan of his work, Gladiator being a favorite movie. Have not seen the Joker yet, for which he won the GG for.  Anyway, he can be a little off putting to alot of ppl, especially when doing the required promotional appearances but I have to agree with his reply to a reporters question about the menu that was shared at last nights event: (This is from Yahoo! News.) 

"It's the first time I've ever eaten the food at this ceremony. I thought it was excellent. I was so moved by their decision to make tonight plant-based. It was such an important step. The SAG Awards and Critics Choice Awards and Governor's Ball, whatever else there is, need to do it as well," he declared.  

"I think we're coming to a point now where the evidence is irrefutable and undeniable. I think it's somewhat where we realized how poisonous tobacco was and secondhand smoking. They made it illegal to smoke in public places. I think now consuming animal products is no longer just a personal choice. It is having a drastic and vast consequence on the rest of the world and all of us, and so I think it was incredibly brave and compassionate of HFPA to make that bold decision. I really commend them for that," he continued. "I've never been so proud to attend an awards ceremony as I am tonight, and thank you so much for asking that question."

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Re: Joaquin Phoenix response to Golden Globes press reporters about the menu

So cool the GGs went Plant Based for the first time, ever!

The movement is strong...and needed💚🌿

9AA70C07-2808-49DB-BDEE-D17A01F7A0C0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I agree and Phoenix's comments were professional and factual.  It is a choice of course and no one is forcing anyone to eat only certain foods.  But there should be options and healthy ones.  Too many things are kept from us because of greed .  People who are making money from products which might not be the best for us aren't going to stop.  No one has the right to harm our health and well being and sadly this has been an ongoing situation.  People will disagree and criticize Phonenix's comments but I applaud him for his honesty and courage for saying it.

With that being said, I realize one day something is good for you and the next it isn't.   For example coffee isn't good for you and then it is.  That makes it difficult and that up and down theory about many foods doesn't help our decision making.

Whatever people choose is their business but options should always be available especially if they are healthy,. propaganda isn't the way and greed is the catalyst.

Honored Contributor

I never look to Hollywood for advice.  Never have, don't see it changing any time soon.  We live in different worlds. 

Honored Contributor

Something has to change.
Every little bit helps..but going PB is the biggest change

to combat climate change. 

2142414B-D7B8-4AA2-AAE5-76E8007FF50B.jpeg

Valued Contributor

So...eating animal products is no longer a personal choice?  Sorry, I don’t think we need Hollywood “celebrities” making dietary choices for the country.

His statement is full of misinformation and propaganda (imo)/

Honored Contributor

6B2831AA-DB56-4B02-86B0-457AA3F5B117.jpeg

Honored Contributor

And climate change is another area where there are lots of opinions, lots of facts, and much that is known and also unknown that doesn't get talked about so much.

One thing is for sure is that is it isn't all about the facts and is sometimes ALL about the political side of the issue.

Plenty of good information for us all to make up our own minds if we are interested.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

One thing is for sure is that is it isn't all about the facts and is sometimes ALL about the political side of the issue.

Funny how the people who are squawking about 'political'

are the first ones mentioning political.🙄�

Climate is worldwide & bipartisan. 

Anyone denying this is not paying attention.

Read. Listen. Learn. 

QVC Customer Care