Trusted Contributor

Re: Joan Rivers’s Death Spurs New Look at Outpatient Centers

My elderly neighbor had to go in for a urine test because she has been suffering from a bladder infection for a long time. The urologists' office "misplaced" (lost!) her specimen. She waited 2 weeks to find out the results, and they finally called her today to say the sample was misplaced and she'll have to come in tomorrow for another one. If her infection had been very severe and she had no results and thus no treatment, she could have had major complications. The ineptness is just beyond belief anymore. I worked in a hospital for 18 years and you would be shocked at the mistakes that are made. They have a special committee called an M&M committee that just goes over all the mistakes and deaths, etc.

You have to be your own medical advocate. You have to be on top of all your procedures and the doctor's actions. I feel sorry for my neighbor because no one in her family is there for her and she doesn't have anyone (but me) advocating for her.

Honored Contributor

On 12/18/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

My elderly neighbor had to go in for a urine test because she has been suffering from a bladder infection for a long time. The urologists' office "misplaced" (lost!) her specimen. She waited 2 weeks to find out the results, and they finally called her today to say the sample was misplaced and she'll have to come in tomorrow for another one. If her infection had been very severe and she had no results and thus no treatment, she could have had major complications. The ineptness is just beyond belief anymore. I worked in a hospital for 18 years and you would be shocked at the mistakes that are made. They have a special committee called an M&M committee that just goes over all the mistakes and deaths, etc.

You have to be your own medical advocate. You have to be on top of all your procedures and the doctor's actions. I feel sorry for my neighbor because no one in her family is there for her and she doesn't have anyone (but me) advocating for her.

Yes.

True of anyone, no matter their age.

Esteemed Contributor

What happened to Joan Rivers is beyond tragic. I hope there will be change in the running of these non hospital centers. One of the most disturbing issues about them is they don't all have anesthesiologists on staff. When I go for my annual endoscopies at a university hospital, there are always anesthesiologists right there, especially if a patient will be given Propfol, as Joan was given. I go for colonoscopies closer to home and had my last one in August, in our local hospital. Now I've learned my local gastroenterologist and his partners are building a large center attached to their office, which is almost half an hour from the nearest hospital. in five years, when I'm due fir my next colonoscopy, I'm going to have some probems with my doctor. And as far as mistakes go, this year the lab lost my biopsy to test for skin cancer. I had to have the procedure repeated. It was on my nose so the scar is larger than it should have been because the dermatologist had to take a second batch of tissue. I didn't have cancer but it made me wonder what could happen if that lab lost a far more serious biopsy.