Valued Contributor

Anyone take Jazzercise classes?  Can you tell me what they are like?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@barb40, I have done a class in years but there are plenty of videos on YouTube.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Back in my youth in the early '80s, I was quite the Jazzerciser.  It's the only exercise I ever did that I really enjoyed.  I had to have surgery during that time and never went back to it, but it was fun.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies...I have a friend who mentioned joining ...it is $35 a month, $25 to join...I have never tried it...sounds like it could be fun...

Esteemed Contributor

I did Jazzercize this summer when a rash of instructor injuries canceled many of my aerobics classes at the Y. I'd say Jazzercize is basically an aerobics class. There are high impact moves, which you can modify, and there were a couple of low impact classes. The classes incorporate free weight training and stretches. I brought my own weights and yoga mat but weights can be provided. 

The instructors were well trained and the music was motivating. The workout was intense. I've done aerobics for over 30 years but i'm in my late 60s and have the knees to prove it. The one thing that was a problem for me was that the classes were at a strip mall and the floor was linoleum on cement. That was murder for my knees and I actually had to go to water aerobics at the Y for a couple of months until my knees returned to their normal pain level.

I'd say if you're younger than I am and enjoy a good workout with friendly people, good dance music, and are already at a decent fitness level, go for it. If you're just starting out, take it easy and build up to a higher fitness level, which you can do at Jazzercize by discussing with the instructor how to best begin. Bottom line..have fun but stay safe!

Trusted Contributor

I taught Jazzercise for 10 years and what Vivian said!  If you can get classes for $35/mo., it's a good deal.  The classes around here cost $59/mo. for 12 months. 

FYI, the instructors get about 30 choreographed routines 5X/year to the latest music, and a well rounded variety of music.  To modify high impact cardio, simply take out the hop in the movements and march instead of jog or run.  What I liked about this program is it's very well rounded - you get a warmup, cardio, cool down, muscle work and some stretching.  Instructors use weights, balls and bands.  Plus, the music is great! 

Trusted Contributor

I taught Jazzercise for 10 years and what Vivian said!  If you can get classes for $35/mo., it's a good deal.  The classes around here cost $59/mo. for 12 months. 

FYI, the instructors get about 30 choreographed routines 5X/year to the latest music, and a well rounded variety of music.  To modify high impact cardio, simply take out the hop in the movements and march instead of jog or run.  What I liked about this program is it's very well rounded - you get a warmup, cardio, cool down, muscle work and some stretching.  Instructors can use weights, balls and bands.  Plus, the music is great! 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the great information!  I really appreciate it!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

You might be able to take the first class for free to see if you like it.  I LOVE it!  We had teens to 75 yr old women in the same class, having a great time.  Not once did I feel judged for being overweight, schlumpy, out of shape or spazzy.  I went to 4 classes a week.  The first 30 minutes are aerobic, the next 30 are stretching/weights.  It's really fun.  Try it!