Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   Hi - some info I was given today.

Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna are mRNA vaccines. 

mRNA stands for messenger ribonucleic acid, which is more or less instructions for your body on how to make protein. In this case, it makes a harmless protein unique to COVID-19 that triggers your body into producing antibodies and T-lymphocytes (T-cells) to fight it. If you get infected in the future with the real thing, those cells will remember and fight it the same way. This is the first time that an mRNA vaccine has been approved for use for any disease

Johnson & Johnson's is a viral vector vaccine.

A viral vector is a virus that has been altered so it doesn't cause illness but still makes your immune system build up specific defenses. Same result, different angle. Examples of viral vector vaccines are the flu and measles vaccines. 

Neither method affects your DNA in any way.

So much info, hopefully the combination of vaccines will be enough to create a successful herd immunity,  stay well. 

Honored Contributor

My Dear Minky, how are you and the Cowboy, been a long time !! we are also waiting for the J and J, we only want a one and done !! Please be well, my sweet Minky, hugs to you, Shel

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle - ah my dear sweet freind.   I tried to highlight you and say hi when I was "talking" to September but it wouldn't work. Smiley Surprised  Thanks for your kind words,

Hubby is actually not doing well but fighting the good fight.  And still has those sparkling blue eyes and killer smile.    The nurse this morning even said just looking at him made her day Smiley Very Happy

You take care and - keep being you !  Heart

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

@Shelbelle - ah my dear sweet freind.   I tried to highlight you and say hi when I was "talking" to September but it wouldn't work. Smiley Surprised  Thanks for your kind words,

Hubby is actually not doing well but fighting the good fight.  And still has those sparkling blue eyes and killer smile.    The nurse this morning even said just looking at him made her day Smiley Very Happy

@minkbunny wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

@minkbunny wrote:

Sweet, Minky, so sorry to hear your news, I will keep your wonderful guy in my prayers. he has made you so happy for a long time now, and of course, vice versa !!! All my love to you both, Shel

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle   Aww, you made me cry.   Thank you for caring so much Heart

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny    Best wishes to you and your blue eyed man!   Have enjoyed your posts over the years.  Good to see some of the long time posters check in from time to time!

Respected Contributor

@september   Thanks so much  I have enjoyed our interactions over the years as well.  We certainly could write a book, couldn't we?    I know how hard the last couple of years have been for you and hope that your continued journey will bring you some happiness.  Sounds like you are making good friends with your volunteer group and enjoying your new home - and I was pleased to read that.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
I have had both Moderna doses and DH will have his second Pfizer shot next week. The one and done idea sounds great, but since the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are said to be higher in their efficacy, we are glad to have them...I think being able to get the J&J to so many more people with just one dose will go a long way in helping more people faster.
Trusted Contributor

This morning I received the J&J vaccine at our DMV.  My appointment was for 10:45 and we were out of there by 11:15 and that included the 15 minute wait afterward.  That's how efficient the whole procedure was.  It was  run by the military and DOT and they did a great job.  I was prepared to wait hours when I saw all the cars but everything rans so smoothly.  So far the only side effect is a slight headache.  The paperwork said most serious complications occur in the first hour so we'll see how that goes.

Honored Contributor

Do you know ahead of time which vaccine you'll be getting?  Or do you just get notification to come and find out when you get there?