Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,970
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: J and J vaccine

[ Edited ]

@LipstickDiva wrote:

Are people going to have a choice as to which vaccine they get?  It was my understanding that as of now you get what you get.  I'm wondering of that will change as they all become more available.

 

As an aside, I read a number of articles this morning indicating that research is showing that the Pfizer vaccine is 50% less effective in obese people.  This research has not been peer reviewed. 


___________________________________________________

 

@LipstickDiva, I read that as well and it comes from the research completed in Italy.  However, the report is that in individuals considered to be obese with lower BMIs, they developed fewer antibodies to vaccination than those with higher BMIs.

 

That isn't really the same thing as effectiveness.  Those with a lower number of antibodies as compared to others may still get a good coverage in being protected.  As I understand it, they just don't know yet.  It might also be that those with lower antibody development may not maintain a level of immunity as long so that they might need a booster sooner than their counterparts.  

 

I suspect when the article goes through peer review and is published we will learn more specifics from their data. 

 

Edited to correct the study came from Italy.  I have no idea why I posted Israel.  Here is a link to the medscape nursing article about the study.

 

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/946765?src=mkm_covid_update_210303_MSCPEDIT&uac=346958AJ&impID=... 


* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,037
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Shelbelle wrote:

@september wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@september wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

DH and I will wait for the J and J, I can only convince him to go for the one and done. Here in MD they got enough for just one day this week, more on the way on the 18th, our Gov announced it today, so we wait. 


My daughter lives in MD.  She is young but has health issues.  Cant wait until we're both vaccinated.  It's been a year since we've seen each other. 


I understand, we see our kids only about every 6 weeks or so. is she in Baltimore ?


Rockville. 


Hi, September, I am also a Sept baby, and my kids live in Gaithersburg, so our kids are neighbors, my grandsons daycare is in Rockville, very nice area. Nice to meet you. 


@Shelbelle my daughter works in Gaithersburg. Beautiful area....I can't wait to be able to visit again.   

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,037
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@LipstickDiva wrote:

Are people going to have a choice as to which vaccine they get?  It was my understanding that as of now you get what you get.  I'm wondering of that will change as they all become more available.

 

As an aside, I read a number of articles this morning indicating that research is showing that the Pfizer vaccine is 50% less effective in obese people.  This research has not been peer reviewed. 


It will depend on what's going on in your state.  In my state, it actually changes from one week to the next!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,068
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@september wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@september wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@september wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

DH and I will wait for the J and J, I can only convince him to go for the one and done. Here in MD they got enough for just one day this week, more on the way on the 18th, our Gov announced it today, so we wait. 


My daughter lives in MD.  She is young but has health issues.  Cant wait until we're both vaccinated.  It's been a year since we've seen each other. 


I understand, we see our kids only about every 6 weeks or so. is she in Baltimore ?


Rockville. 


Hi, September, I am also a Sept baby, and my kids live in Gaithersburg, so our kids are neighbors, my grandsons daycare is in Rockville, very nice area. Nice to meet you. 


@Shelbelle my daughter works in Gaithersburg. Beautiful area....I can't wait to be able to visit again.   


Such a very small world !!! My kids live in a lovely planned community called The Kentlands. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,898
Registered: ‎07-09-2011

@Porcelain 

 

Well, darn those torpedoes, and full speed ahead

I agree.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,404
Registered: ‎03-21-2010

@Kachina624 wrote:

@January121 wrote:

When I get the vaccine it will be the J&J one .... I like the idea of one & done 🙃


@January121.  I don't like the 71% effectiveness rate.  I'm so glad I got the Moderna before t h e J&J came out as it's 90+% effective.


@Kachina624  .... THANKS 😃

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,843
Registered: ‎02-19-2014

@Drythe wrote:

@Porcelain 

 

Well, darn those torpedoes, and full speed ahead

I agree.


Goll dang those torpedoes! Hahaha.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,612
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

My husband and I both got the J and J vaccine this morning.  Everything went well.  I am not concerned at all about the efficacy rate as the flu vaccine rarely has more than 50 pct.   Our main concern was the serious hospitalizations and deaths in those taking the J and J.  There were zero.  Glad to have it over with and we don't have to concern ourselves with being available for a second shot at a later date and time.

 

We were told that if a person had a serious reaction to either of the other vaccines with their first dose, they should not take the second dose and just take the J and J instead.

 

Wishing all good health.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,037
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@minkbunny   Happy to hear you're both vaccinated!   It's a relief, isn't it?

 

Today is the first day of my state's big J and J clinic....I look forward to hearing how it went.  I'll be volunteering at this site Monday.  

On Friday of this coming week, we begin the mobile clinics for teachers and child care staff.  Things are progressing.  

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,612
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@september    Hi - so good to "see" you and to hear that  you are helping with the vaccination process.   Our volunteers were so nice today, we had a lot of fun chatting while waiting.  It was indeed a good feeling to get the vaccine, I was a bit hesitant in the beginning but did some research and when the J and J became available locally, we were right on it !  

 

Wishing you well Smiley Wink