Trusted Contributor

Re: J and J vaccine

[ Edited ]

@ Lucky charm In my case the state informed me that the J&J vaccine was available on a specific date and included a link to sign up.  At that time they had only that vaccine available which was ok by me.  

Honored Contributor

I was sort of waiting for J&J vaccine because it had been tested when some of the new variants were around.  I think you have to discount the efficacy of the Moderna and Pfizer until they are retested.  I gave up last week and got my first Pfizer injection and then (of course) the J&J became available!  Oh well!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Do you know ahead of time which vaccine you'll be getting?  Or do you just get notification to come and find out when you get there?

It depends on how things are being done in your state.  Where I live, at the local  fixed sites, we didn't have any advanced info as to if we'd get Pfizer or Moderna.   We knew when we went for our appts, that we'd have to go back for a second dose. 

this weekend, we held a mass vaccination event and everyone knew it would be J and J (Janssen) and that there would be only one dose needed. This was important to many, since they traveled outside of their counties, but since it was a one time thing....they didn't mind.  

Super Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was sort of waiting for J&J vaccine because it had been tested when some of the new variants were around.  I think you have to discount the efficacy of the Moderna and Pfizer until they are retested.  I gave up last week and got my first Pfizer injection and then (of course) the J&J became available!  Oh well!

DiANNE I feel for you!   I was looking for appts for weeks, and finally got in at  Walgreens yesterday for the Moderna.   THEN, at work today, (I work for the city gov't) they are offering J&J vaccines at a Walgreens near our facility.  One day difference.

I am so afraid of the side effects of the Moderna for the 2nd dose.  Been reading so many negatives.   I know the efficacy of J&J isn't as high as the others, but it would have been so nice to have it done.   Not sure what the side effects are yet of J&J, one would think it would be high with one full shot, but maybe it's a lower level, so not so much.

Anyway, it's a ****** shoot no matter when you make an appt.  I may need some moral support as I'm almost afraid to get the 2nd dose of Moderna.  Trying to stay strong!

Honored Contributor

Re: J and J vaccine

[ Edited ]

@Ladygray 

i know a few people who have had both shots of Moderna and Pfizer with no side effects except for a sore arm.  Hopefully we will be lucky!

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

DiANNE I feel for you!   I was looking for appts for weeks, and finally got in at  Walgreens yesterday for the Moderna.   THEN, at work today, (I work for the city gov't) they are offering J&J vaccines at a Walgreens near our facility.  One day difference.

I am so afraid of the side effects of the Moderna for the 2nd dose.  Been reading so many negatives.   I know the efficacy of J&J isn't as high as the others, but it would have been so nice to have it done.   Not sure what the side effects are yet of J&J, one would think it would be high with one full shot, but maybe it's a lower level, so not so much.

Anyway, it's a ****** shoot no matter when you make an appt.  I may need some moral support as I'm almost afraid to get the 2nd dose of Moderna.  Trying to stay strong!

@Ladygray 

Try not to be too worried about that second Moderna shot.  My DH had absolutely no reaction at all to the second dose.  I felt cold that night and had body aches, but it wasn't awful, just aggravating enough to keep me awake.  In the morning I took Arthritis Strength Tylenol and felt fine.  When the Tylenol wore off, I took another dose.  I did my normal activities all day and felt normal the next day without Tylenol.  Much easier than I had imagined.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Today on the news they said the new J and J vaccine had a moral component that Catholics would need to consider if they get it....what in the world does that mean?

@lovesrecess 

On Tuesday, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops urgedCatholics to avoid taking the Johnson & Johnson coronavirusvaccine and to choose alternatives from Pfizer or Moderna instead because Johnson & Johnson used cells derived decades ago from an abortion to create the vaccine.

~Washington Post

@geezerette  I was understanding that both Moderna and Pfizer used cells from abortions (from the 70's) for their testing and development of their vaccines.  J & J uses them for the production.  It seems either way would be a conflict.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Today on the news they said the new J and J vaccine had a moral component that Catholics would need to consider if they get it....what in the world does that mean?

@lovesrecess 

On Tuesday, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops urgedCatholics to avoid taking the Johnson & Johnson coronavirusvaccine and to choose alternatives from Pfizer or Moderna instead because Johnson & Johnson used cells derived decades ago from an abortion to create the vaccine.

~Washington Post

@geezerette  I was understanding that both Moderna and Pfizer used cells from abortions (from the 70's) for their testing and development of their vaccines.  J & J uses them for the production.  It seems either way would be a conflict.

@tends2dogs 

From what I've read, this is a complicated issue.  Too complicated for me to even really understand let alone comment on here.  Way above my pay grade.

I was just quoting that article in reference to the question asked.  I suggest that anyone that has any further interest do their own research.