Esteemed Contributor

Re: Itchy rash after stopping Zyrtec

Yup, that's the rebound effect that about 30% of the population has after taking Zyrtec for a while then stopping it. What is frustrating is doctors will say they've never heard of that. Baloney! Google - rebound rash from Zyrtec and you will see you're not alone. They recommend titrating down in small amounts, so as not to stop it abruptly. That is one reason I refuse to take Zyrtec. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Yup, that's the rebound effect that about 30% of the population has after taking Zyrtec for a while then stopping it. What is frustrating is doctors will say they've never heard of that. Baloney! Google - rebound rash from Zyrtec and you will see you're not alone. They recommend titrating down in small amounts, so as not to stop it abruptly. That is one reason I refuse to take Zyrtec. 

Well gee, that means 70% don't get the rash after stopping Zyrtec.  I've stopped for maybe 5 days at a time and used Claritin instead, but always go back to Zyrtec because it's the only thing that works for my year round allergies.  I didn't notice any rash, but it's good to know in case it ever happens.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@morganjen  

I'm so surprised that you've used Zyrtec for sleep.  One of the things I like about it is that it's "non drowsy." Now Benadryl knocks me out.

Honored Contributor

Zyrtec makes me very sleepy. I have some and don't see anything about non-drowsy formula written on it. Claritin has one that is non-drowsy.

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags  The reason I started using Zyrtec is that awhile back, my doctor prescribed a short dose of Hydroxyzine for sleep. It's a prescription antihistimine. It worked very well for me, actually. I had read that Zyrtec was very similar to it.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

Zyrtec makes me very sleepy. I have some and don't see anything about non-drowsy formula written on it. Claritin has one that is non-drowsy.

@colliemom4 

You're right!  I just looked at my bottle and it doesn't say non-drowsy.  But I remember when I first started taking it years ago it was promoted as "non-drowsy" - and for me it is.  When I take Claritin, it's like taking a sugar pill, no effect on my runny nose and post nasal drip.  I haven't tried any of the others, like Alegra, because Zyrtec works so well for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

@shoesnbags  The reason I started using Zyrtec is that awhile back, my doctor prescribed a short dose of Hydroxyzine for sleep. It's a prescription antihistimine. It worked very well for me, actually. I had read that Zyrtec was very similar to it.

@morganjen 

Yes, my son was prescribed hydroxyzine as a sleep aid and it worked really well for him.  He also sometimes takes Zyrtec for allergy symptoms and like me, it doesn't make him sleepy at all.  I guess it's just individual body chemistry.  I know that if I  take two Benadryl, within an hour I can't hold my head up. 

Super Contributor

Yes, happily addicted to Zyrtec, I tried to stop but the itch is unbearbable.  If i forget to take it, I can feel the effects in about 24 hours. I reached out to my doctor and they said isnt addicting. There are many many support groups regarding this topic!

Valued Contributor

@morganjen - it probably is the Zyrtec.  But I will tell you that my sister had the Pfizer vaccine and mentioned she has a rash on her chest and shoulders.  A different sister got the Moderna vaccine and a week after her first shot, developed a painful rash at the injection site (google Moderna or Covid arm).  So, you may want to check with your doctor just to be on the safe side.

Trusted Contributor

@ceekay  Was her rash on both shoulders, or just one? I figured mine was systemic somehow, since it's on both backs of shoulders at the same time. I had my husband look closer at it, and he said the area was slightly red and looked like when you get a sunburn and your skin starts peeling. It just feels like a lot of small bumps to me. It started a week after my Pfizer shot.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004