Trusted Contributor

Itchy rash after stopping Zyrtec

Has anyone experienced an itchy rash after stopping Zyrtec? Years ago, I had taken it for ten years. I weaned myself off, and experienced intense itching of the scalp. I googled it, and sure enough, it was a symptom of Zyrtec withdrawl. Took forever to go away. Lately, I had been using it for sleep (which helped), but stopped. The past few days, I've noticed an itchy rash (hives) on the backs of both shoulders. Looks a bit like contact dermatisis, but I have changed nothing product-wise. I have not changed any meds or supplements, either. I did get my first Pfizer shot a week ago, but it sounds like that brand's shots don't produce any kind of rash as a side-effect. It's got to be the Zyrtec.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Itchy rash after stopping Zyrtec

@morganjen wrote:

Has anyone experienced an itchy rash after stopping Zyrtec? Years ago, I had taken it for ten years. I weaned myself off, and experienced intense itching of the scalp. I googled it, and sure enough, it was a symptom of Zyrtec withdrawl. Took forever to go away. Lately, I had been using it for sleep (which helped), but stopped. The past few days, I've noticed an itchy rash (hives) on the backs of both shoulders. Looks a bit like contact dermatisis, but I have changed nothing product-wise. I have not changed any meds or supplements, either. I did get my first Pfizer shot a week ago, but it sounds like that brand's shots don't produce any kind of rash as a side-effect. It's got to be the Zyrtec.

@morganjen 

Wow, I didn't know this.  I take Zyrtec every day for my allergies. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags  Well, whatever you do, don't stop it. lol

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Since Zyrtec is for allergies, could it be that you are experiencing itching because you have allergies and need either the Zyrtec or another allergy med like Loratadine?

Honored Contributor

I'd call the doctor.  Rashes can have effects we can't see.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I have read that many people start itching once they discontinue it.

Valued Contributor

There are other over the counter antihistamines so if it were my body, I would avoid the one that gives you rashes. I get itchy from the Flonase spray but can tolerate a store brand that is a different steroid but I never take it everyday. I use the children's liquid version of Allegra and take a half or quarter dose and not every day. There are allergy shots if you need this daily and nasal irritation devices. Consider using a HIPPA air cleaner in your house and bedroom at night. Check on consumers reports for the ones that actually work. If you are on other meds, consider if they are giving you insomnia. Some reflux medications have insomnia as a side effect, I know as they do this to me. Started a new med yesterday and was sleepy all day, didn't nap, bad stomach, and awake all night same as on the reflux meds, wired, and unhappy. Did not take it again. There are ways to google the side effects from the manufacturer, it's on their papers about the drugs and their testing. I find none of my doctors know the side effects and I've taken the printed sheet from the manufacturer to show them so they believe me. 

Trusted Contributor

@morganjen  Why not try benadryl for sleep, will probably help with the itching as well. 

Trusted Contributor