Honored Contributor

It was 7 years ago my life changed forever

It was 7 years ago our life changed for ever. My husband woke up with a fever of 101, his hip was infected. Which lead to a trip to the ER in White Plains, where he had a great doctor there who was in touch with his surgeon at HSS, they did all the necessary testing. At 6 PM he was transported back to HSS. He had his 3rd surgery the next day, to drain the infection and replace the hip joint. Which was followed by a week of hospitalization IV drugs. After he came home had a picc line and I had to infuse him daily for 30 days, which was followed by 30 days of Keflex and a lifetime of penicillin twice a day. He is lucky to be alive and walking

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: It was 7 years ago my life changed forever

@I am still oxox 

Yes, how wonderful that he is still with you after all that he, and you, have been through.  This is a prime example of how quickly our lives can change!  I try to be grateful for all my many blessings but there are days that I know I am grumpy and lament my and DH's health issues.  Always, always, there are many who are worse off.  We always says to each other --- at least we are going through these things together-- and I am sure you feel the same way!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

My father was not so lucky to have a great doctor.  After having knee replacement surgery in May 2008.  His knee obiviously became infected.  It was obivious to me, his home health nurse to everyone except his surgeon who ignored the signs until my father's knee burst open and bleed everywhere.  An ambulance took him to a local hospitial who got the bleeding under control but refused to treat the infection and shipped him off the hospital where he had  the knee surgery done,  We refused to have his surgeon treat him so another surgeon in his practice treated my father.  The knee replacment was removed and an antibotic block was put in place for 6 weeks so he could not walk.  This story could go on and on but I won't bore you with all the details. After seeing multiple doctors and 10 surgeries later,  Dad never was able to have a working knee joint replaced.  He almost had to have his leg amputated.  He ended up having his knee fused so he could not bend it and he had to use a walker. When he moved in with my family after my mother died (she was battling stage 4 cancer the entire tiem) we made an accessible apartment in our basement complete with a stair lift.  He lived in constant pain until he died in September 2016.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox How is your DH today?  Is he back to normal?  It sounds like he can do some things since you are both at a hotel while your place is being renovated.

I wish I could say that about my own husband.  Our life changed forever back in 2011.  He became infected with chronic Lyme disease which triggered an autoimmune illness.  He resembled a stroke victim.  

Long story short, he survived and is better but can't really do much or go places.  So this is how it's been for him for many years now.  He can putter around the house and he has his space.  For that reason I'm glad that we havent downsized

I'm still able to do some travel and I'm going this summer to Europe with my brother.  My son will stay home with his dad while I'm gone.  I'm grateful to be able to go at this point.

I just turned 70 and never imagined that our 60s would turn out the way that it did.

Super Contributor

HHS?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@I am still oxox How is your DH today?  Is he back to normal?  It sounds like he can do some things since you are both at a hotel while your place is being renovated.

I wish I could say that about my own husband.  Our life changed forever back in 2011.  He became infected with chronic Lyme disease which triggered an autoimmune illness.  He resembled a stroke victim.  

Long story short, he survived and is better but can't really do much or go places.  So this is how it's been for him for many years now.  He can putter around the house and he has his space.  For that reason I'm glad that we havent downsized

I'm still able to do some travel and I'm going this summer to Europe with my brother.  My son will stay home with his dad while I'm gone.  I'm grateful to be able to go at this point.

I just turned 70 and never imagined that our 60s would turn out the way that it did.

He is always in pain and never talks about it, he rode his bike over 100 miles this week so he is coping well thanks for asking

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@ninjawife @My heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry your family had to endure this. I'm sending you huge hugs and fond thoughts!

Honored Contributor

In 1998 my son  died at 27,having a leg amputated,it changed both my husband,and myself,then my husband died in 2013, from cancer, just way to hard is life.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
QVC Customer Care