Honored Contributor

It's unbelievable that in the 21st century . . .

. . . we are still sending "gladiators" into a boxing ring to beat the chit out of each other.

The End

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Re: It's unbelievable that in the 21st century . . .

I'm not sure if you're speaking to something specific, but I agree in general that fighting for sport is sickening and barbaric.

Honored Contributor

There's so much of it available on TV, especially HBO. There remains this "hero worship" about the ones who win all the time.

No, nothing specific, I couldn't name any one of them. I know a lot of money is bet on fights, so I guess that's why it still exists.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Boxing is bad enough, but at least there are some rules. The other "ultimate" fighting is insane with kicking and hitting the other fighter when they are down.

Valued Contributor

It isn't something that I want to watch; not into watching the violence. It does seem to still be prevalent on some channels.

Honored Contributor

I agree, especially with what we know about traumatic brain injuries.

Respected Contributor

On 11/13/2014 Ford1224 said:

. . . we are still sending ""gladiators"" into a boxing ring to beat the chit out of each other.

The End

Really this surprises U when we go to war all the time in the 21st century? All the beheadings etc?

Honored Contributor

Sports and war really aren't that much different ...... somebody draws a line in the dirt and a bunch of guys fight over it!

Maybe it's Mother Nature's way of thinning the herd ......

Esteemed Contributor

And then there are women kick boxing each other, displaying their equality with men.

And we make fun of June Cleaver in her day.

Regular Contributor

Is your post supposed to have a cryptic meaning? If you are referring to BOXING as a sport, don't watch it!