Honored Contributor

Re: It's time; I just ordered 6 handmade masks

@stuyvesant 

I am so leary of all of this!  There do not seem to be ANY clear cut answers.  I just saw on-line that they are saying --- don't wear gloves to food shop.  I wore them the last time I went and saw many, many people wearing them.  

They said that the germs, what have you, actually adhere more to the materials of the gloves than they do to the skin of your hands!  So, in essence, you're better off just using hand sanitizer, and then, of course, keeping your hands off your face, and then washing your hands immediately upon completing your food shopping!  Also, people do not remove the gloves proplerly or dispose of them properly -- so this creates more dangers.

I don't know at this point!  Wear gloves -- don't wear gloves.  Don't wear masks --- wear masks!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

I, requested breezie staff take their time and talent to the world, and change their cups on the bras to masks. No response. I, have ill since feb. dr. said to stay indoors. You see, im an old crow. Anyway, i wish they would step up and use their beautiful Ultim Air material to make them for the medical community, and those suffering with breathing problems, such as myself. Well, i didn't wait for them to make them. I, made my own with a small bra. Mine would cover my face and head, so i brought out my old as the sun singer, and went to work. Folding and cutting that beautiful bra. I, look beautiful if i do say so myself, and i know, because my dog moxie, says so. I, think if one can use the time and talents god gave us, this is the time. Hope, breezie company will consider making them for all at this point. DAVID V., would look great with a in the kitchen with the Q, to match his cups. My, daughter works at a pharmacy, deals with very sick people. I, will be giving her the other cup to wear. I, LOVE the flower pattern and it's comfortable, most of all i can breath. I, know this is a strange comment, but i bought the underwear as well, and will now make for my daughter and  son, who stated i will never look at womens underwear the same way!. LOVE, eachother, be kind, when we step out in public. We, never know the fears of the heart, and still they move foreward, with courage and grace. I, have so much respect for all the people that go out into the public eye, to serve us, everyday.

Honored Contributor

It is ridiculous to think people should be buying surgical masks when our healthcare workers don't have what they need.

There are several videos that show how to make your own, including no sew versions.  If it comes to it, that's what I will do.  No way am I ordering masks when so many in need don't have. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva :  What I'm seeing on this thread is that most people are either making their own or buying homemade from Etsy.  Additionally, LA Mayor Garsetti is telling everyone to wear whatever they have whenever they must go out for essentials.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I didn't know how to wash my hands for coronavirus.  I didn't know about the Happy Birthday song, intertwining the fingers, making a fist and cleaning the fingertips, none of it.  I'd be in terrible shape if they had said you can't foodshop, you don't know how to wash your hands, you'll develop false confidence and make things worse.  Ha.

So now I know.  I also know to remove masks by the ear loops.

I'm not looking for perfect.  I'm looking for better.  I feel wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask.  I only wear gloves for certain situations - throwing out garbage and I'll wear them when I work up my courage to go back to the laundry room in my building.  I always finish off by washing my hands using the spiffy new technique I learned just recently.  Whatever I use or do, I finish off by not touching my face and washing my hands.

I also agree, wear what you have at home.  Wear the best mask you have available to you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whether or not they're "recommended," they're VERY easy to make. All it takes is a couple of hair ties and a square of fabric. And no sewing. I even did it myself, just to try, and used a shop towel; it came out great--secure and even comfortable.

Although I've seen people wearing masks, it's by NO means the majority. And most of those I've seen are clearly homemade and fashioned from any number of things. (I saw my first "bra cup mask," sported by a man, last week 😳. I know a bra cup when I see one lol).

Anyway, even if only recommended by the medical community, establishments may soon require them as a condition of entering their stores. So, practice making them now! 😷

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant 

I agree that some people may not know the basic techniques and so it is very helpful that they show these things.  I guess we all have to use our own judgment and use the BEST judgment we can.  Also, remembering to use common sense and to be considerate of others because doing so will make it better for all of us.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 i just wanted to let you know if you google Sanjay Gupta removing gloves you'll get a little youtube video where he shows you how to do that.  He also shows you how to wipe down groceries but I feel he chiickened out there because I'm not confused about wiping down cans.  I'm confused about wiping down frozen foods and he didn't address that.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people will be asymptomatic and it's only a matter of time before you run into them.  I think we should all wear masks.  Handmade are fine, leave the N95s to the medical professionals.  There are people making masks from home now, and they are washable, so you don't need a large number of them for one person.  One or two masks are fine if you don't go out much.  

This could impact the transmission rate.  I'm willing to try it.

Valued Contributor

@patbz Do you have a link for the ones you bought? I know they are recommending 3 layers of cotton, but I have seen tons of them that have filter inserts? Where do you even get those filters at, do you know by chance? Thank you!

So many options and I cannot afford to waste money on the wrong thing :-( I just don't have it!!! #scared

~ Hope in TN ~