Honored Contributor

Re: It's time; I just ordered 6 handmade masks

@tansy wrote:

How in the world do you decide which masks to buy from Etsy with so many sellers?  🤷🏼‍♀️

@tansy - I used a vendor I've bought other products from before. Beaudin Designs. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

How in the world do you decide which masks to buy from Etsy with so many sellers?  🤷🏼‍♀️

tansy, a basic mask should be rated as Level 1, Level 2 or Level 3 for effectiveness. Crosstek has explanations of the difference online.

This is different than N95 which is a dust mask, not a medical/surgical mask.

If the mask is sold on etsy it likely has no rating at all. 

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

It's starting to become a theme that face masks may soon be recommended for all.  Got mine from Etsy (before those go way up).  My Son works in fast food at Subway...

Thanks for posting this information

I ran right to ETSY and ordered three in black.

For others please pay attention to the various vendors and some offer sizes for men women and children

I got 3 men

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

I ordered a box of the regular surgical masks today from Amazon. Who knows what I'll receive! I figure DH and I can double-mask if they are really lousy quality masks and anything is better than nothing at this point!!😷
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know they have said from the beginning --- do not wear masks unless you are sick.

Now, they seem to be unsure.  If you hear and read various reports, they seem to be waffling, back and forth.  Maybe it would be a good idea any time you go out to wear them --- maybe not???  

Also, I think their main decision was based on not wanting people to take these masks away from health professionals who badly need them -- which I totally understand.

Now, I read, even wearing a bandanna or hand-made one is better than nothing!  

I tried at the beginning of all of this to buy some of the N95 masks but of course they were sold out.  

I have a few regular surgical masks and since I have lung issues, I really think I am going to wear them when I must go out.

Those ones from Etsy, do you think they would do any good at all?  Also, from the ones I looked at, they seem to say wash in cold water --- how could that sanitize them properly?  I would think you would need to wash them in hot water and dry them in the dryer to get ride of germs! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I know they have said from the beginning --- do not wear masks unless you are sick.

Now, they seem to be unsure.  If you hear and read various reports, they seem to be waffling, back and forth.  Maybe it would be a good idea any time you go out to wear them --- maybe not???  

Also, I think their main decision was based on not wanting people to take these masks away from health professionals who badly need them -- which I totally understand.

Now, I read, even wearing a bandanna or hand-made one is better than nothing!  

I tried at the beginning of all of this to buy some of the N95 masks but of course they were sold out.  

I have a few regular surgical masks and since I have lung issues, I really think I am going to wear them when I must go out.

Those ones from Etsy, do you think they would do any good at all?  Also, from the ones I looked at, they seem to say wash in cold water --- how could that sanitize them properly?  I would think you would need to wash them in hot water and dry them in the dryer to get ride of germs! 

@AngelPuppy1 We're all in new territory re the mask wearing.  We are going through the actual event that will allow the scientists to form a data-driven opinion about the usefulness of wearing masks.

This is what I have heard suggested.  If you have a mister, like you would use to mist plants, you can mist your mask with alcohol.  Cover your mouth and nose when you mist, I've misted my faucets after I've come in and I'm washing my hands and washing faucets etc., and it's very irritating to the nose.  I've also heard you should remove the mask by the attachments that hold it over your ears, not by the mask itself.  Then you can wash it.

I haven't heard anybody say this, but I also hang my masks in the sunlight.  I have surgical masks.  I wear one to go to the store.  Then I leave it in the sun for a couple of days and use it to throw my garbage down the chute -  there are 8 apts. on my floor who share that chute, no window, just an air vent, so I feel better using the mask.  Then it goes in the garbage.  But I also know that wearing the mask twice goes against all the advice.

Respected Contributor

My daughter is an ICU nurse and she will tell you anything less than N95 will NOT keep micro viruses away.

Trusted Contributor

If I was given a choice between attending a dinner party of 10 people where one had the virus or attending a dinner party where all 10 had the virus I would choose attending the dinner with the one person who had the virus.  Because the virus load would be lower. 

Nobody has to wear a mask.  It may do nothing but I haven't heard anybody say it's harmful.

Respected Contributor

I found a box of N95 masks in my laundry room. I bought them last year to wear in the garden when the pollen count is high.

Honored Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
I ordered a box of the regular surgical masks today from Amazon. Who knows what I'll receive! I figure DH and I can double-mask if they are really lousy quality masks and anything is better than nothing at this point!!😷

Most on Amazon had poor reviews....most come from China.