Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I was due for my third colonoscopy (since I was 55) and I asked my Doctor why couldn't I do the ship your stuff by FedEx kit (DH had just done it).  My Doctor said "no reason it there were no prevailing symptoms" .  He said these kits are very accurate and if there are any indications of a problem then you have a colonoscopy.  I chose this option and it was easy peasy BUT they didn't get a usable sample, so I will have to redo this week (hope I don't ultimately have to do the prep, etc).

@patbz , I'm a bit confused.  If your first colonoscopy was at 55, were you on the 10 year plan or the 5 year plan.  Usually, they only put you on the 5-year plan if they find a problem of some sort.  If you're on the 10 year plan, you would definitely be too old for the Cologard as their fine print in the commercials say not recommended for people over 75.  And, it's also not recommended for anybody with a history or family history of problems.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

When the ole memory goes! Now I remember talking about this in the past. See an 18 year old that is close to making the USA  Team a lot at the rink. Very good doing triples, and now he is doing quads. Not familiar with Lutz/SowCow and so on, he makes it look very easy. Ole hockey guy here!

Best to you tomorrow,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess :  I am 75.  Additionally, when I had my first colonoscopy, I believe they were recommended every five years (later on, that changed).

Honored Contributor

Re: It's Prep day

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Oh, hard to say,  but just bear with it!

I have never had the cramping.  Just a LOT of sitting.  I took magazines in the bathroom!

Will soon be over--it's not for forever.  !!!

@Lucky Charm Oh, that's an idea.  Maybe I'll pre-position my tablet and work jigsaw puzzles while there. I absolutley hate sitting on the toilet and usually wait until I absolutely have to go, but you really can't do that when prepping.

Respected Contributor

I had my first one in October and the prep was the worst part.  Lots of anxiety before the test but overall it wasn't that bad and you are doing something good for yourself.  Hope all goes well. 

Honored Contributor

Well, my stomach just revolted.  Just up-chucked some of the Miralax solution (all while on the toilet).  Just too much liquid in too short a time.  And I can't remember the last time I vomited for any reason.  I know, TMI.

Honored Contributor

All done.  Doctor says I'm good for another 10 years.  Maybe by that time at-home kits will be more commonplace and accepted.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Glad to see the procedure went well, the prep, not so much. I came close to the same, only 1 time of my 20 gallons. They moved up my procedure that time. Was supposed to have 2 hours to drink the half gallon, and they cut that to 1/2 hour. Think that was for 1 of the Double Balloon Enteroscopies.  Been over 2 years since my last one, but if I start bleeding again?

It's a relief for you to know all is well.

hckynut

hckynut(john)