Honored Contributor

So, today is prep day for my colonoscopy tomorrow.  This will be my 2nd colonoscopy and the prep is a lot different than 10 years ago.  This doctor uses a combination of Dulcolax laxative and Miralax.  You still have to mix it into 64 oz of liquid and drink lots of liquids before/after which already is a stretch for me.  

It's actually a 2-day prep.  The day before the real prep they tell you to eat only soft foods.  No meat or raw veggies, fish and seafood is ok.  And, to try and eat less than you normally would.  At 8:00 pm you take your first does of Dulcolax.  I had not taken a true laxative since college and had forgotten how awful it was.  The cramping, the nausea.  This is not gentle overnight relief.  More like Roto Rooter 2 hours later.  Still felt the effects this morning 12 hours later.  

I'm beginning to get a little hungry, so I guess it's time for some non-red Jello.

Honored Contributor

Oh, hard to say,  but just bear with it!

I have never had the cramping.  Just a LOT of sitting.  I took magazines in the bathroom!

Will soon be over--it's not for forever.  !!!

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess  My husband just did the same prep last week, he said it wasn't so bad except he got really hungry.

Honored Contributor

I guess this sorta says it all: 

52766844_2026991994260960_8562890029045645312_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

So you did not have to consume a gallon of that horrible "Go Lightly" that DH took for his colonoscopies.? Lucky you. 

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady , not this time.  I did last time, and I agree; it's horrible.  I couldn't get it all down, but I figured if my poo was nothing but clear liquid I should be cleaned out enough.  However with that method there was no cramping.  But, if you felt the need to go you better already be in the bathroom because there is no holding it.  

There are different methods.  I was joking with the checkout cashier at the grocery store about it and she mentioned she had some sort of reaction to what they gave her and they weren't able to do hers.  It was something that involved drinking two small bottles of liquid the day before and again before the procedure.  I'm thinking maybe it was Sureprep.  Of course you still have to drink what I consider massive quantities of liquids regardless of the method.  And, if I drink too much liquid, that'll also make me nauseous, so I can't win there.  

Respected Contributor

I used the dulcolax/miralax prep 2 weeks ago.  I like buying it at any drugstore.  The prescription prep was very expensive and I refused it.

I have to have a colonoscopy every 5 years due to a family history of colon disease.  Be glad you had to wait 10 years.

Best thing I can say is I am glad mine is over.  Yes it is unpleasant but it is necessary.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Your nik have anything to do with ice skating? Will be going to the rink in an hour for a 2 hour skate.

Glad to see you are taking this seriously. I know all to well about prep, I have joined the 20 gallon club with my last Colonoscopy. Yep! 15 of them and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies.

Hope everything goes well for you today and tomorrow.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I was due for my third colonoscopy (since I was 55) and I asked my Doctor why couldn't I do the ship your stuff by FedEx kit (DH had just done it).  My Doctor said "no reason it there were no prevailing symptoms" .  He said these kits are very accurate and if there are any indications of a problem then you have a colonoscopy.  I chose this option and it was easy peasy BUT they didn't get a usable sample, so I will have to redo this week (hope I don't ultimately have to do the prep, etc).

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Your nik have anything to do with ice skating? Will be going to the rink in an hour for a 2 hour skate.

Glad to see you are taking this seriously. I know all to well about prep, I have joined the 20 gallon club with my last Colonoscopy. Yep! 15 of them and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies.

Hope everything goes well for you today and tomorrow.

hckynut

Yes, I'm an adult figure skater. Picked it up in my mid-30's.  Only skate about once a week now.  I can do many of the single jumps, but my favorite is spinning.  We have spoken before, I think it may have been on my post about my MIA neighbors.