Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's Official ~~ I'm Old

@febe1 wrote:

My Ophthalmologist, @pattypeep, told me to not remove it until it was "ripe." He said to wait until it gave me a problem with driving, reading or something. I did and had a wonderful result. I had him put in a multi-focal implant. Love it. No glasses, no readers. He corrected astigmatism. No glasses on my driver's license. Smiley Happy

@febe1 Would you please explain the multi focal implant to me? Is it like the bifocal contacts that I have worn in the past?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

My Ophthalmologist, @pattypeep, told me to not remove it until it was "ripe." He said to wait until it gave me a problem with driving, reading or something. I did and had a wonderful result. I had him put in a multi-focal implant. Love it. No glasses, no readers. He corrected astigmatism. No glasses on my driver's license. Smiley Happy

@febe1 Would you please explain the multi focal implant to me? Is it like the bifocal contacts that I have worn in the past?

Yes, it gives you the bifocal site you lose in your forties, @pattypeep. I wore glasses but never contacts and wore the progressives with bifocal in the bottom.

I waited to have the cataract removed for several years. The procedure was simple and I could see immediately after. It was like a "gift." I could actually read the back of an aspirin bottle.

The only negative I had was dryness - he prescribed Systane & it went away. After, I'll have some dryness in the spring, but I only use eye drops about once a year.

Not every one is a candidate for the lens, @pattypeep. My BFF wasn't. Mine cost $2,000. for the lens. I'm glad I waited and am grateful for the results. Good luck with yours! 

Esteemed Contributor

@febe1 Thank you so much for your response.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I was about 58 when I had both eyes done (not at the same time).  Best thing I ever did.  I used to wear bifocals all the time and after surgery no glasses.  It is a great feeling.  I just use readers for close up work.