Honored Contributor

Re: It is scary how easy it is to be dependent on pain meds

@Nonametoday  So don't get it. I don't see anyone trying to force me to get it. However I only watch the six o'clock local news then six thirty world news. There are short segments on the virus but that is it. So I don't see what you do. If you don't want the vaccine it shouldn't be any problem.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I have a situation that is making me crazy due to the pain and have started on pain meds.  This is the first time that I have actually taken them willingly.

The situation (long and boring so you might want to stop reading right now);  In November, I got my first flu and pneumonia shots at the Y (different arms).  I think Rite Aide did them.  I was really concerned about the flu shot, but the problem has been the pneumonia shot.

Several hours after the shot, my left arm started with vibrations, almost like blood was racing around my arm.  I thought that this was just the vaccine working and ignored it.  At the time, it only happened a few times a day.  Last week, it was all day, with pain starting in my arm and radiating up through my shoulder and into my neck.  I called the doctor and did a phone consult.  She insisted that I come in so that she could see my arm, even though I told her that there was nothing to see and that I had perfect range of motion.

I go to the appointment that day and have to see another doctor who did not even look at my arm.  She prescribed the prednisone pack.  Started taking prednisone and the vibrations stopped.  Unfortunately, they were replaced with severe pain in my arm, shoulder, neck, and back, and I cannot use my left arm.

Now to pain meds.  The pain was so bad that I found all those pain meds that had never been used so that I could finally sleep.  The first one, hydrocod/acetam, knocked me out.  This was way too strong.  Yesterday, I took Ibuprofen 800 in the morning and no pain once it kicked in.  I decided that I would take it late at night so that I could sleep, but the pain was unbearable.  Ended up at 4 this morning adding tramadol.  The pain is just now subsiding.  I am keeping heat on my neck, shoulder, and arm.  

I see the doctor again tomorrow, and I do not have high hopes that she has any idea what this is.  I told her that I thought a pinched nerve from when I got the shot (I did the research and it does happen), but she insisted that it was not the nerve.

Anyway, that is my saga and I now understand how people can really get hooked on pain meds.  I will not be taking any tonight since I will have to drive to her office tomorrow, so I should be in fine form for her.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

@SXMGirl @Report advers events from vaccines

How to Report Adverse Events to VAERS

Do your part for Vaccine Safety - Report to VAERS Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System at www.vaers.hhs.gov

There are 2 ways to submit a report to VAERS:

Option 1: Submit a VAERS Report onlineexternal icon (Preferred)
The online VAERS Report must be completed and submitted in the same session; it cannot be saved and edited at a later time. Note: sessions time out after 20 minutes of inactivity; no information is saved.

Option 2: Download a Writable PDF Form and upload when readyexternal icon
The Writable PDF Form can be downloaded and completed electronically on your own time. When ready, return to the VAERS Writable PDF web page (use link above) and follow Step 2 instructions to upload the form.

More information on reporting an adverse event to VAERSexternal icon. If you need further assistance, please email info@VAERS.org or call 1-800-822-7967.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl Sending you hugs and empathy for what you are feeling. 

Although not related to vaccine, I am experiencing significant pain in my head, face and neck. I am under a doctor's care amd have been prescribed Oxy and Tramadol and just completed a prednisone pack. 

I only took the OXY for a couple of days (still have more than half of the script left) and moved on to the Tramadol. I still have a lot of those left. Now I am taking Tylenol and Advil which is helping somewhat but not eliminating the pain. I am just dealing with it. I don't even like taking the  OTC pain relievers so I know it is really bad when I have to continue to take them just to get a little relief. 

Best of luck at your doctor visit tomorrow. I hope that you get some answers and can recover soon!

Trusted Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 You too? I also throw up from codeine/morphine based meds. I also either break out in hives or my throat closes up. I thought I was the only one allergic to that stuff. I usually just take naproxen (Aleve) for pain. 

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 You too? I also throw up from codeine/morphine based meds. I also either break out in hives or my throat closes up. I thought I was the only one allergic to that stuff. I usually just take naproxen (Aleve) for pain. 

@Buffalogal47 

I was wondering if the OP, in lieu of pain meds following the steroids, could not have received NSAIDs but then I don't know the whole medical history nor what allergies or contraindications there might be.  

I too have difficulty with narcotics secondary to nausea/vomiting causing dehydration and nightmares/hallucinations.

Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl  I hope that you find relief soon, also.  I first tried Aleve for the pain and it did nothing.  All of this, coupled with my severe vertigo, do not make for a happy girl.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

I am so sorry you are dealing with so much pain. I have suffered from extreme arm pain for years. I had an IV due to an operation and one day out of the blue my arm felt like it a was being broken in several areas. The pain was relentless.One thing Dr's labeled was RSD Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.To make things more complicated I got Lyme Disease through my treatment. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to be trying all these different drugs even if they were taken at different times.

Prednisone, Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen 800 and Tramadol?

@CelticCrafter 

These are different classifications of drugs and they should not be all tried in concert without very strict supervision.  Prednisone is a very good drug for anti-inflammatory or immune suppression when the body is fighting itself, albeit steroids are often overused by the pharmacologic and medical industrial complex. 

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, wonderful for the everyday menstrual cramps, headaches, short-term muscle aches and pains such as strains and sprains, but can induce bleeding just as aspirin can.  Both are prostaglandin inhibitors.  

Hydrocodone/acetaminophen are basically a narcotic and an analgesic in combination same with Tramadol is is an narcotic pain reliever. It somehow binds to and inhibits pain production.  It too can be a prostaglandin inhibitor and is most active short term as such but works best for about an hour.  It can decrease the respiratory system and gastrointestinal process.  I find that hydrocodone causes more stomach pain for some than it helps (in the case of pancreatitis which can slow the process there and make the pain worse, i.e., bile flow).

I don't think the last two should be used in combination but I think one should try NSAIDs before resorting to other drugs.  I think steroids/prednisone is good in the case of musculoskeletal and/or bone/nerve disorders in order to try to bring under control.  I think narcotics should only be used in dire circumstances such as trauma and post surgery, etc.    These are my opinions and are not medical or professional by any stretch.

Valued Contributor

@SXMGirl  - I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  Please look into shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA) before you go back to your doc if you can.  

Sending you good thoughts Heart

Honored Contributor

Before I had my cervical neck surgery I was in so much pain that I nearly committed suicide. I could not bear the pain any longer. I started drinking alcohol to kill the pain and then it escalated to worse things. My best friend saved my life and I got surgery...all is good now. I don't need or take any Rx drugs whatsoever. TG! Prayers for those who suffer with pain. I understand.