Respected Contributor

Jack may not be getting dementia, he may have an agitated, situational depression, with growing vegetative symptoms, including escaping his thoughts and situation by staying in bed.

Moving into assisted living may have been tolerable initially, but increasing restrictions for his extrovert personality has affected his mental health. This could manifest in many negative ways, including forgetfulness, or dementia onset, but not necessarily so.

And, as much as he may love his wife, perhaps he resents having to change his life so dramatically because of her medical issues. He's likely doing life reviews at his age, reminiscing about the past, but incapable of changing his current situation. There are too many possibilities to do anything but second guess without medical assessment, but the most obvious symptom is depression and hopelessness.

After two years, I know I feel dumbed down and have unpleasant brain fog at times, simply because I miss people and activities that used to keep my mind stimulated and continually learning. There's truth to use it, or lose it. Our brains need exercise, too.

It's a given that confinement is detrimental to health. Far too many, young and old, will carry emotional scars from the social isolation most of us have been experiencing. Particularly when we're continually flooded with news of terrible life events and disasters. If our brains aren't screaming for relief by now, someone needs to call a Code -- stat. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

While these people in facilities may be isolated, think about the millions of us who have been prisioners in our own homes with no social contact at all for almost two years.  We don't have caretakers and, since many of us are single, see no human at all.  Thank God for pets. Why do you think so many of us come to this board so often or stay so long? You can talk to the same few people on the phone only so much.  Many of us have small families and friends who have died or are gone from our lives. The only person who has been in my home during the pandemic is the AC repair guy.  My closest relative is almost 2,000 miles away.  There is no "place" or any person concerned about our welfare.   Yes, it's darned depressing to have to live like this. 

@Kachina624 

Can't speak to "being a prisoner in my own home". While I understand how many look at life, and illnesses, differently than I do! Sure, there are times I have stayed in our home for weeks, all by choice, but a prisoner?  Uh uh!

Like many others, my family is very small. I do have a few I consider good friends, and many I see as acquaintances. I can go anywhere in our City any time I please, but I prefer our home and our remaining pets, over the -° weather, that has been around for days.

Can only speak for myself, but no circumstances are going to force me to feel like a prisoner, regardless of who is saying what about my risks. It will be me that does that deciding.

Like to see your posts here and wish you nothing but the best.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Jack may not be getting dementia, he may have an agitated, situational depression, with growing vegetative symptoms, including escaping his thoughts and situation by staying in bed.

Moving into assisted living may have been tolerable initially, but increasing restrictions for his extrovert personality has affected his mental health. This could manifest in many negative ways, including forgetfulness, or dementia onset, but not necessarily so.

And, as much as he may love his wife, perhaps he resents having to change his life so dramatically because of her medical issues. He's likely doing life reviews at his age, reminiscing about the past, but incapable of changing his current situation. There are too many possibilities to do anything but second guess without medical assessment, but the most obvious symptom is depression and hopelessness.

After two years, I know I feel dumbed down and have unpleasant brain fog at times, simply because I miss people and activities that used to keep my mind stimulated and continually learning. There's truth to use it, or lose it. Our brains need exercise, too.

It's a given that confinement is detrimental to health. Far too many, young and old, will carry emotional scars from the social isolation most of us have been experiencing. Particularly when we're continually flooded with news of terrible life events and disasters. If our brains aren't screaming for relief by now, someone needs to call a Code -- stat. 

@BlueFinch  I would give you a big hug if I could. I'm contacting their son and daughter ASAP. Their story has more depressing elements than just covid. I believe they can both be helped. Thank you from the bottom my heart for taking the time to share your knowledge. 

Respected Contributor

My husband and I have decided as long as we can manage for our selves we will never go into assistance living. We know an older couple that we visited in assisted living (this was friends of my husband's parents) and all they talked about was who died. In these facilities you don't see young people and children, I want to see children.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

The whole situation is bad. 

Kachina, I  read about your state's restrictions being extended. I have a feeling the emotional issues coming out of these mandates will be just as bad (or worse) than the virus itself. 

@teganslaw    Late last summer, my community cut the ribbon on a beautiful, ultra modern, brand new senior center.  So far, not a single senior has been allowed to cross the threshold.  I keep calling hoping they're open with some activities and the chance to make some new friends. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

These are very sad situations.  Most of us will likely end up in one of these places someday, yikes.   My 89 year old MIL is in an assisted living apartment and she doesn't like it at all.

That being said she is not the easiest person to get  along with.   She is a chronic complainer and is never happy regardless.   I know it must be difficult for her as not even 3 years ago she was  still independant and still driving.   She actually got quite sick with what they had diagnosed as food poisoning and was hospitalized, then in the nursing home and from there had to give up her small apartment and go into assisted living.   

I know it's been tough on her with lockdowns and changing her way of life, however, she needs to realize that at least she is safe, being fed and gets basic care with bathing and such.   She suffers from spinal stenosis and cannot walk without a walker and is incontinant, so frankly just being realistic she really should not be going out very much anyway!   But she just refuses to accept where she is in life..........and as far as my kids, I tell them I never want to be a burden on them as I am living it myself and it's not easy nor fun.

Honored Contributor

All of us have a path to trod and many of us have no choices about it.  Many don't have families, some of us are supporting elderly people financially and sometimes at great cost to ourselves mentally and financially, and some don't have a social net or access to one.

Some times you don't have a choice about things, but you have a choice about how you live and sometimes you just to face it, and I can say my faith is all that keeps me going sometimes.  Without it, I don't think I could make it day to day. 

And don't tell me to go talk to someone because there is nothing talking would change except dwelling on it more.  It is what it is.  I pray about it and go on.  And count the many blessings I have and have had in my life and focus on that. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Isolation & Dementia

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

Amen to your last post, which also describes my life to a T.   It is what it is, and I pray daily for the strength to deal with it.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop I also often read your posts and identify with what you are saying!  It's a "carry-on: world!!!! Woman Happy

Super Contributor
To the lady that said she has been a prisoner for 2 years....why? You can go to any store, a park, for a walk, to church, you can talk to your neighbors unless they are scared to come out? What you describe is not a life. Pray that God would keep you healthy and go live your life before it’s over. Don’t always believe what the news tells you, unless your mind is impared, you need to think for yourself like you have done your entire life.