Honored Contributor

Re: Is your doctor retiring?

My pcp retired several years ago. I had him for the past 35 years! He saw me through a lot!. He was nice enough to help me choose another doctor. And the doctor he recommended was great as well. I now have moved and had to find another doctor, on my own. As much as I thought I'd really miss my long time doctor, I don't. I have a young doctor now, he's very well versed in all the new medical technology and runs rings around my original doctor. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

We will never get back to the insurance we once had.  I get angry every time I have to deal with changing doctors or pay higher co-pays.  I don't blame doctors for bailing or not wanting to get into this mess.    

Honored Contributor

In the past year we have had 5 (count em 5) health care providers retire! One of them told us he was tired of being an accoutant and wanted to be a doctor.

Honored Contributor

I rarely see the "Dr.". I prefer it anyways. IMO the NP/PA  usually have better bedside manners.

Honored Contributor

I have never had a real relationship with a doctor... they move on... they retire... or whatever... I do not go often enough to get to know them anyway. Maybe every three years or so for a physical.

as far as dentists, I find most to be very good and caring.  I guess I am fortunate with dentists. Just not Doctors.

Honored Contributor

Ugh!  As soon as I saw this I knew I could relate!  I've had my same Drs for many years.

My orthopedic Dr retired young (he was maybe 60, if that).  But before he did, he finally decided to replace BOTH of my knees at the same time.

I'd gone back and forth with him for a few years.  I always knew they both needed to be replaced and I always knew I wanted them done at the same time.  He kept saying, "I only do both with REAL athletes".  His walls were lined with famous athletes thanking him.  I might be amazing to my daughters, but beyond that....ummm...I'm definitely not athletic.  So he and I went around and around, really, for a few years.

Finally, he said he was retiring early.  I flipped!  I have other Drs that are his really good friends and they assured me he wasn't ill, he just wanted 'out' and was retiring to Florida.

Finally, he said, "OK, I'll do them both at the same time.  But first you have to assure me you have the upper body strength required".  He did some tests and....yea!  I passed.

So, in May (two years ago this May, he replaced both knees).  It was a breeze and after a few trips from rehab to him (not healing right), I was done...

On my last visit to him, his nurse pulled me aside and said, "Did you realize you are his last patient?  He's been waiting for your last visit...this is it!"

Well, we hugged (I did that every time I saw him, but this one lasted longer).  Since then I check on how he's doing with my other Drs and he's having a wonderful time.

Same thing happened with my Dr my husband and I went to.  You know, the guy you go to when you have a virus.  He knew my late husband so when my husband died, he was the one who consoled me and explained what MIGHT have happened.  He also went to Florida and was only in his early 60's.

Oh!  Wait!  I'm not finished!  My Dr that takes care of my back didn't retire, but is doing research on stem cells and healing.  (I might be seeing him again this year).  The Dr that he works with who is now my Dr keeps saying, "Do you have thousands of dollars to waste?  Because that's what it will cost and insurance doesn't pay for it."  Ha!  But I say, when you hurt bad enough, you'll try anything.

So, move forward to another Dr I've seen for years.  He's very old.  I see him for my 6 month checkup in a few weeks.  I'm scared to death he's going to say, "This is our last visit together".  He's amazing!  He's no-nonsense, but warm and caring and I know he has my best interest always.

I still have a cardiologist I've been seeing for years.  He'd just started when I started with him.  He's another who helped me when my husband died.  He tells me not to worry that he'll retired.  He has very young sons.  When I asked him why he waited so long to have children.  He said it was so he could pay off his student loans.  He's always going to school and getting re-certified.  I adore him.

So, finally, I understand Drs have lives.  But good grief!  When you get one you really, really like, it's hard to say good-bye.

Oh!  I have an arthritis Dr who has a ways to go.  She and I talk a lot when I visit her (every 6 months).  I know all about her 2 sons, their colleges and how she begged the oldest not to go to medical school.  (She finally talked him into a double major.....medicine AND business).  Ha!

Now I'm depressed.  Did I mention if you find a Dr you like....stick with him or her.....if possible.

Trusted Contributor

My dentist and vet are around my age and I've been going to them 25 years. We've kind of aged together. They are both retiring in the next year or two. Great doctors, I will miss them terribly!

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

No, my doctor is young, in his late 40's so he will be around for awhile. My dentist just told me he sold both his offices, but is going to stay on as a partner for awhile. It's harder to find a good dentist than it is to find a good MD.

Respected Contributor

Our Internist retired after we had been seeing him for 23 years. He was a rarity. When I had my surgeries, not only would he see me in the hospital, when he couldn't make it, he would call me. He never charged the insurance co. once. He always took his time and cared about all of his patients. He was my rock! He retired 7 years ago, when he was just 57. He said he loved seeing his patients  but when he'd leave the exam rooms and then have to deal with the hospital and insurance companies, that's when he was miserable. So, he retired and gave referrals to his patients. I then started seeing a female doctor that was in his practice and she was good. Unfortunately, she past 3 years after I started seeing her. A tragedy, she was in her mid to late 40's. We are now seeing a younger doctor (40) who is brilliant and nice but doesn't really connect that much and is of course, always in a rush. They now can only spend so much time with each patient. Luckily, we only see him once a year. 2 other of our doctors have retired and I think my Endocrinologist will soon be retiring. Some are retiring due to age and some are retiring due to the restrictions from the insurance companies and the hospitals suffocating them. I understand both positions for retiring. I think it's only going to get worse in the foreseeable future. 

Hopefully, everyone will stay relatively healthy and not need their doctor's too much. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

Everyone, stay well and hoping this year will be a good and healthy year!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Super Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

Mine are not, by my parents have been struggling with this. My parents shared a primary care physician who retired late last year. His patients are being referred to another doctor, but when my parents saw him because my mom was having periods delusion and dementia that came on suddenly, he referred them to a retired neurologist and then was useless when they called him to get a more urgent referral to a new one.

I had to find them someone when I visited for Christmas and she's been dealing with this since October. It's very distressing. 

I am not sure if you meant you found your mom a new PCP or neuro, but both are in order.  Any PCP that does not know the docs in the area is not the right doc for your precious parents.