Respected Contributor

Re: Is your doctor retiring?

None of my doctors are retiring although my periodontist did. (in December)

My husband, an orthopedic surgeon, retired (after 44 years) in December.  His patients were given a choice, either become a patient of another doctor in the practice or have their records transferred elsewhere.

Like all of us, doctors get old.

Honored Contributor

The one that killed me was when my dentist retired and sold his practice, even the building, to a corporation thst operates such businesses.  They've had 4 or 5 new dentists since then; they don't stay for long and have trouble finding them.  I feel like it's now a mediocre, poorly run operation and won't go back

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The one that killed me was when my wonderful dentist retired and sold his practice, even the building, to a corporation that operates such businesses.  They've had 4 or 5 new dentists since then; they don't stay for long and have trouble finding them.  Their accounting is also a mess.  I feel like it's now a mediocre, poorly run operation and won't go back.  This seems to be the trend nowdays.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My gyno is retiring and is now on a reduced schedule. My primary care physician is in his mid 70s (and frankly doesn’t look in that good of shape) so I expect he will retire soon.  Hoping when he does I can find someone else I like. 

Honored Contributor

My primary doctor, whom I adored, was forced to retire when he hit 70.   He loved his patients and took such good care of them.  He was the only doctor I had since I stopped seeing a pediatrician.

It took me about 3 or 4 tries to finally get a doctor I'm happy with.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy

This reminds me of one of my rare visits to an MD.  The whole time he spent typing on a computer while standing.  Multitasking I'm sure as he probably would have had to  fill out the forms after I left.  I felt like byproduct...rarely glanced at me....main priority those forms!  

@Snowpuppy wrote:

My PCP has been easing into retirement the last 2 yrs.

He's been quite vocal about the increasing demands on record keeping and issues with insurance carriers. He quit accepting ins several yrs ago. You pay up front and now wait for reimbursements. Just like he did.

`

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Snowpuppy

This reminds me of one of my rare visits to an MD.  The whole time he spent typing on a computer while standing.  Multitasking I'm sure as he probably would have had to  fill out the forms after I left.  I felt like byproduct...rarely glanced at me....main priority those forms!  

@Snowpuppy wrote:

My PCP has been easing into retirement the last 2 yrs.

He's been quite vocal about the increasing demands on record keeping and issues with insurance carriers. He quit accepting ins several yrs ago. You pay up front and now wait for reimbursements. Just like he did.

`

@phoenixbrd. That’s what they’re required to do. Many have an assistant who does all the computer typing as the Doctor deals with the patient.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  I guess the major insurance companies that have been my insurance carriers were to cheap to hire assistants.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I guess the major insurance companies that have been my insurance carriers were to cheap to hire assistants.  

@phoenixbrd.  I’m not sure how popular they are as patients might not want a ‘typist’ in the room. I wouldn’t care.

Honored Contributor

I got a guy just out of med school when I was 40.  I tell him every time that's why I got him so he'll be on his top game when I'm old.  He laughs and says he won't retire but he'll just keep a few of his oldest patients like me.

I tell him that's not funny and we laugh about it.