Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,427
Registered: ‎07-29-2014

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

Osteopaths treat the body as a whole, not just as a symptom like many MD's.

My own personal preference. 8)

"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people only from their own experiences."
Super Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎11-13-2014

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful posts! I actually needed to get in to see my regular DR. and could not get in until the middle of December. This DO who is also an internist had an opening Tomorrow so I figured why not. I do not have a long standing relationship with any one doctor... and get frustrated sometimes when the Allopathic doctors never seem to understand my feelings on natural as much as possible. This might be a very good thing.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

I went to nursing school at a hospital where all of our intern and residents were osteopathic doctors in training.And most of the staff docs were osteopaths. Like all doctors - some were much better than others. However, their training is just as rigorous as any other doctor's. They just use more natural methods when possible.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,126
Registered: ‎06-20-2010

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

Yes, I finally found one that feels the same way I do about medications and certain vaccines and uses natural remedies first. The whole family goes to her.

Super Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎11-13-2014

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:

I went to nursing school at a hospital where all of our intern and residents were osteopathic doctors in training.And most of the staff docs were osteopaths. Like all doctors - some were much better than others. However, their training is just as rigorous as any other doctor's. They just use more natural methods when possible.

yes---- just like in any profession, there are good, better and bad doctors. Thank goodness we can decided who we choose to see!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,570
Registered: ‎09-13-2012

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

I'd rather go to an M.D. I don't know much about osteopaths. Plus, if they take the natural approach they might try to make me do things I don't want to do, such as change my diet in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

Super Contributor
Posts: 1,050
Registered: ‎11-13-2014

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

On 11/30/2014 Ms X said:

I'd rather go to an M.D. I don't know much about osteopaths. Plus, if they take the natural approach they might try to make me do things I don't want to do, such as change my diet in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

They are Medical Doctors... just trained extra in more natural treatments VS just an allopathic training.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

On 11/30/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 11/30/2014 Ms X said:

I'd rather go to an M.D. I don't know much about osteopaths. Plus, if they take the natural approach they might try to make me do things I don't want to do, such as change my diet in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

They are Medical Doctors... just trained extra in more natural treatments VS just an allopathic training.

While I agree they are medical doctors they go to a different med school and they learn a different approach to disease. They DO NOT have MD after their name - they have DO. One should understand the difference if they are going to seek care from a DO.

OOPS - I think it is OD not DO Sorry.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,927
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

I've been to both and don't see any difference in care. My DO does not recommend "goofy" care. No snake oils, no herbal remedies, no tribal chants........In my state DO's do residencies with MD's and take the same Medical Board Exams.

Super Contributor
Posts: 265
Registered: ‎03-03-2014

Re: Is your Doctor an Osteopathic Doctor?

On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 AnnaBella said:
On 11/30/2014 Ms X said:

I'd rather go to an M.D. I don't know much about osteopaths. Plus, if they take the natural approach they might try to make me do things I don't want to do, such as change my diet in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

They are Medical Doctors... just trained extra in more natural treatments VS just an allopathic training.

While I agree they are medical doctors they go to a different med school and they learn a different approach to disease. They DO NOT have MD after their name - they have DO. One should understand the difference if they are going to seek care from a DO.

OOPS - I think it is OD not DO Sorry.

Actually, that is incorrect. In many medical schools, MD's and DO's sit side by side in the same classes. MD's and DO's receive basically the same education, with DO's being required to take additional training in manipulation. Internship, residency, and fellowship requirements are the same, as are licensing and board certification processes.

Also, OD refers to an optometrist. DO is osteopathic doctor.